Library on Wind Spirit

Petoonya

We're readers and booked on a 17 day Tahiti. How's the library? Expect to be doing excursions everyday, but that leaves a long afternoon and evening free. Is the library decent enough that it could hold us for that long? Or should we plan to bring a stack or two of paperbacks?

I'm a Kindle user, husband is not, so guess we'll bring a stack of paperbacks for him. Thanks very much for your help.

Petoonya, I left two books for you in the library of the Wind Spirit. We were there in November and I donated two lighthearted novels about a Tahitian family by Tahitian author Celestine Hitiura Vaite. Her first novel, "Breadfruit" isn't all that well-written but gives great insight into the culture and daily life in Tahiti. The other book--which is actually the third novel in the series--is much better written and was a very enjoyable read. It's called "Tiare". The second book in the series is called "Frangipani" and was also good, but I got that one on Kindle so I couldn't leave it there for you. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions Dandee and Viaurand. I will look for your books Viaurand.I love South Sea reading, Michener etc. even the not well written books. Thanks to both of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I brought my own books on my Kindle (including Maugham's Moon and Sixpence, based on the life of Gauguin, and MIchener's South Pacific, a quasi-biography of Michener and his time in the South Pacific and how it shaped his writing and world view. The library has a mix of travel books (about other destinations besides the South Pacific), as well as some reference books, and the kind of traded-in fiction referenced above. It is a cozy place, where board games are stored. My cabin mate wanted to spend one day doing some writing, and she decided to set up shop there to give her a space outside of her cabin. She said that worked well, with few interruptions.