Favorite/least favorite airlines

CruisingSince2012

If you have flown on several different airlines, which ones would you recommend or tell people to stay away from?

Our answer would be complicated because it depends on where we are going, the length of the flight, whether we are flying Economy, Premium Economy, Business or First. But when it comes to domestic airlines (USA) are preferences would be Southwest, Jetblue, and Delta...in that order. United and AA are not among our favorites but future changes in equipment could certainly help change our mind.

If flying to Asia, Australia, NZ....we would normally avoid any US Airline. Many of the Asian airlines are excellent. We usually fly Business to those distant places so our decision will often be based on schedule and the actual equipment/seats. I should add that a recent Delta Flight on their new A350 in Business really pleased us with the quality of the seats. But the food was typical Delta airline near garbage...even in expensive Business. As to down under, Qantas, Air New Zealand and Virgin Australia would all be fine for us and superior to any US product.

Flying to Europe is a problem. We have not been overly happy with any airline except SAS where we had a fantastic experience in Business. We are soon going to try Air Canada (Business) with our fingers crossed. United's new Polaris Class (Business) might have possibilities once they fully phase in the new seating....but we shall have to wait and see. The European Airlines are hit and miss. The middle eastern airlines are sometimes a great option to Europe if the scheduling works.

Hank

Cathay Pacific First.

We used awards, and had The Best Flight Ever.

We didn't want to get off when the flight landed, despite a duration of 15+ hours. It was that pleasant and *comfortable*.

The only "problem" is that there are only 6 F seat/beds, with each a separate "pod/suite". So... no "sitting next to each other" so we could talk easily or just exchange glances, etc.

But there is "companion seating" on the foot rest (a full seat, with seat belt, etc.), and that was reasonably comfortable. (That's to be compared with JL F, where the "companion" had to sit with back against the TV screen... not comfy at all!).

We hope to try Singapore Suites, with one of the new "double bed/suites", the ones with the orientation with a window in each, unlike the current/former, where the "double" is in the middle of the plane.

The service might equal that of CX, but I doubt it could "exceed" it :)

Those awards points are getting good use indeed!

We also like JetBlue for inexpensive and pleasant domestic travel.

Their flight attendants tend to be phenomenal, given they aren't a pricey airline.

We also tried their MINT (flatbed) service once, and that was a very nice surprise, for a not-too-expensive cost. We had decided to come home from a week-long relaxing vacation in the Caribbean, and to "continue the relaxation" on the flight home. There seems to be dynamic pricing, and we grabbed a reasonable fare.

GC

I rarely fly international first, but have done so in Qantas, American, BA, and Cathay Pacific. Qantas and Cathay Pacific win for that

Business Class - also Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, and Singapore in my experience

Premium Economy - Air New Zealand

Plain Ol' Economy - Mostly they're all the same, but probably the same airlines as above. For domestic US economy, Alaska wins hands down in my book.

The problem, of course, is that you can have a terrific flight - service, seat comfort, food... - on an airline that otherwise might deliver mediocre service at other times, or you can have an awful flight on an airline that - most of the time - delivers a superior product. It all comes down to anecdotes, the plural of which is NOT data.

For me, based on multiple flights: Note I patronize Oneworld airlines more than others.

International first class: Cathay Pacific, American (yes, in old 777-200s using "Flagship Suites.")

International (long haul) business class: Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, Qantas, Swiss International, Iberia

International (short haul) business class: British Airways, Finnair, Qantas, Cathay Pacific

International premium economy: British Airways

International economy: Air New Zealand, SAS, Air Pacific/Fiji

US domestic first class: Virgin America (now Alaska), Alaska

US domestic business class: American

US domestic economy: Alaska

I have only flown on U.S. airlines except for one Venice-Paris flight on Air France. My favoritei s Southwest. It's not an accident that they hire funny flight attendants who serve food and drinks when they say they will. Their magazines and Sky Mall catelog are the only ones in the sky worth taking out of seat pockets. Did I meantion two free bags on every flight?

Too many factors to pigeonhole the best airline, as others have said some airlines are better at shorthaul then longhaul, others have better longhaul flights on some aircraft but not others, and then you have to segment within that for class of travel too.

Overall I'd say Cathay Pacific is my favourite airline, but I've only ever flown them longhaul/midhaul and only in First Class and a sample size of just over half a dozen flights isn't much compared to other airlines.

For shorthaul domestic travel in the US it's tough but I rarely have bad experiences on JetBlue. Their ground product is pretty absymal (no lounges, terrible boarding system) but in the air their Mint product is excellent value for money, despite being only on a handful of routes. I've flown them a few times in their "Core" product. basically regular economy where no premium cabin is offered and they have plentiful snacks and drinks and the flight attendants, particularly in Mint, are always excellent. Also PTVS at all seats with free live TV, free high speed wifi, etc.

American Airlines is my most regular airline domestically and for standardization of product they're hard to beat. At my home airport of JFK I always get access to a separate, private check-in area which leads to the front of the security line and their Flagship Lounge is excellent, especially after befriending one of their bartenders after a spate of regular travel. On some flights from JFK they offer decent flat beds on domestic flights etc.

Honourable mention to British Airways, whom I have had top/mid tier status for 15yrs now...their longhaul business and first class products are almost 100% consistent and between my home airport of JFK (and many other US airports) and the UK their overall business class product is excellent. Full meal service on the ground, fully flat bed in the air so can sleep all the way to the UK, then shower/massage/breakfast in the lounge upon arrival. Hard to better that for a short overnight flight.

I have only flown on U.S. airlines except for one Venice-Paris flight on Air France. My favoritei s Southwest. It's not an accident that they hire funny flight attendants who serve food and drinks when they say they will. Their magazines and Sky Mall catelog are the only ones in the sky worth taking out of seat pockets. Did I meantion two free bags on every flight?

...and for some of us who travel regularly Southwest is probably the least desirable option. I've taken maybe 1000+ flights and Southwest hasn't once been the best option for me so I've never flown them.

The comedy routine gets tiresome, the lack of interlining to other carriers, the lack of decent route network from many places, the lack of premium cabin, the lack of partners, the ridiculous boarding process, the lousy frequent flyer program, etc.

WN works for many people but not for others. I get three checked bags free on my airline of choice and have never needed more than two, even when I emigrated...

Honourable mention to British Airways, whom I have had top/mid tier status for 15yrs now...their longhaul business and first class products are almost 100% consistent and between my home airport of JFK (and many other US airports) and the UK their overall business class product is excellent. Full meal service on the ground, fully flat bed in the air so can sleep all the way to the UK, then shower/massage/breakfast in the lounge upon arrival. Hard to better that for a short overnight flight.

BA gets a lot of flack, but I fly them many times each year, both regionally and longhaul, in both Business and Economy, and have almost never had a bad experience.

BA gets a lot of flack, but I fly them many times each year, both regionally and longhaul, in both Business and Economy, and have almost never had a bad experience.

Exactly. I've flown BA hundreds of times and the number of flights I've stepped off that were even mediocre are very few and I find their cabin crew to be largely excellent.

BA have done some things that are really annoying:

1) Switch to 30" pitch in European business class

2) No real innovation in their longhaul business class seat since 1999/2000! In that time they've gone from the best business class seat in the world to one of the most maligned. Having said that I do still find Club World upstairs on the 747 to be very comfortable and pleasant!

3) Complete overhaul of shorthaul catering, making everything in economy for purchase and an overall reduction in business class catering.

4) Whilst not affecting me they have densified 777s in economy and the 787-8 seating in economy was universally panned.

But on the same token they have made some genuine enhancements:

1) Introducing a separate security channel straight into the Galleries First lounge at LHR T5.

2) Greatly improved catering in Club World

3) Huge refurbishments at JFK T7.

Too broad a question to comment.

International or regional? Mainline or discount?

Business class or economy? Regular economy, Economy plus, or consolidator tickets?

They all make a big difference on your experience and perceptions.

For some of us who travel regularly Southwest is probably the least desirable option. I've taken maybe 1000+ flights and Southwest hasn't once been the best option for me so I've never flown them.

The comedy routine gets tiresome, the lack of interlining to other carriers, the lack of decent route network from many places, the lack of premium cabin, the lack of partners, the ridiculous boarding process, the lousy frequent flyer program, etc.

WN works for many people but not for others. I get three checked bags free on my airline of choice and have never needed more than two, even when I emigrated...

The lack of premium seating is only a "problem" for picky or luxury travelers IMO. The reason for that is a nice tradeoff: few delays and cancellations. I read a few years ago Southwest has one of hte best on-time rates because they only fly Boeing 737 aircraft, which results in on-plane crew not having to make adjustments or changes related to differences in the aircraft itself. I am not sure what this means, but it is true Southwest has a higher on-time rate than big airlines with many sizes and types of airplanes.

Edited by CruisingSince2012

We are not big fans of their rear-facing Business Class seats. It is an out-of-date concept. As to European/domestic Business class it is abysmal on most European airlines.

Hank

I had never heard of rear-fracing airplane seats. When were they an in-date concept?

Not sure about dates, but as our TA warned us, lest we claim "we don't care about direction once we are in a metal tube flying through space", etc... he sent us photos of how in these seats, folks sitting facing both directions often are facing almost directly at someone else who is facing right back at them, with no possible visual barrier. And possibly more than one such "other person".

At least, that was in one business class configuration he sent us.

:eek:

That killed it for us!

GC

I had never heard of rear-fracing airplane seats. When were they an in-date concept?
Still are.

British Airways Club World (note it's the window seats that face aft.)

British-Airways-to-launch-new-club-world-seats-upgraded-meals.jpeg

American Airlines (refurbished 777-200s)

Aircraft-Interiors-AA-Business-Cabin.jpg

United Airlines (being introduced)

3771698412_f434891070.jpg

Etihad Airlines

etihad-airbus-a380-business-680x365_c.jpg

Ugh, passengers can't look straight at the TV on American. They built them at the wrong angle.

I'd hope the screen pulls out once one is seated and ready to watch.

There are several F seats on various international airlines that do this.

The view is "straight on" once one is watching.

GC