Disembarkation Concerns

atexsix

Hello. Last year we cruised to Alaska, me as caregiver and my 81 year old Father, we decided not to utilize wheelchairs and other special services, we thought we could handle it, but wow were we ever mistaken!

This year we decided to try it again, a longer less port intensive itinerary, but we are taking advantage of any and all assistance we can get.

However, we are very concerned about customs and immigration in Vancouver and Amtrak back to Seattle, we cannot be separated because I have to help my Father with wheelchair, luggage, etc.

I've read on other websites they will usually let the caregiver and disabled family member stay together, is this true? Then what? Do they clear us together? We just want to know what to expect because it's overwhelming as it is and don't want to give up on cruising, it's particularly hard for me, as my Dear Father will not remember the details, therefore all planning and arrangements are handled by me. He feels bad about this even though I don't mind, however I'm determined to make this go around better than the last.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by atexsix

You won't have any issues. It's extremely rare that families are separated going through customs/immigrations. If for some reason an Office directs your group to go to separate lines just politely tell him/her the circumstance.

Hello. Last year we cruised to Alaska, me as caregiver and my 81 year old Father, we decided not to utilize wheelchairs and other special services, we thought we could handle it, but wow were we ever mistaken!

This year we decided to try it again, a longer less port intensive itinerary, but we are taking advantage of any and all assistance we can get.

However, we are very concerned about customs and immigration in Vancouver and Amtrak back to Seattle, we cannot be separated because I have to help my Father with wheelchair, luggage, etc.

I've read on other websites they will usually let the caregiver and disabled family member stay together, is this true? Then what? Do they clear us together? We just want to know what to expect because it's overwhelming as it is and don't want to give up on cruising, it's particularly hard for me, as my Dear Father will not remember the details, therefore all planning and arrangements are handled by me. He feels bad about this even though I don't mind, however I'm determined to make this go around better than the last.

Thanks in advance.

Amtrak is extremely accommodating for their passengers with needs. Please contact them with your concerns. You will also get a reduced rate as an accompanying handicapped assistant. Been there. Done that on Amtrak. They're great.