Queen Elizabeth - 7072 disabled balcony cabin, opinions?

Ynox

Hi all,

I've got an upcoming trip to the Baltics on Queen Elizabeth and finally received my cabin allocation today. 7072 (maybe a decent upgrade from a BD grade?).

Whilst some aspects of the cabin look awesome (great midships location, big balcony), my wife and I aren't too sure on the following:

* There's no sofa in the room, only a chair?

* There's limited toiletry storage in the bathroom

* Ability to watch TV from the bed?

* Wardrobe room - are the rails at a normal height?

Has anyone got any experience of this cabin? I also can't help but feel as if we probably shouldn't have a disabled access cabin (2 fit and healthy people in early 30s!)!

Thanks!

No experience with QE but my wife and I got a disabled Queens Grill "suite" on QM2. It was huge. And largely disappointing. In that, to accommodate wheelchairs, it was bereft of a lot of decorative touches (like the curved bar area and cabinets) and furniture of comparable cabins. The bathroom was the worst and of course bereft of a tub, had a huge "wet room" type shower and frankly resembled the bathroom in a hospital. Very little storage and lots of big handrails etc. Again, all perfectly suitable for those with special needs. But it was a let down on many levels. It remains, however, the biggest accommodation I've ever occupied in a ship and one really had the sensation of having to walk from the bed to the dresser! Oh and a giant balcony, too.

Maybe the accessible cabins on QE and QV are different but I suspect not.

No experience with QE but my wife and I got a disabled Queens Grill "suite" on QM2. It was huge. And largely disappointing. In that, to accommodate wheelchairs, it was bereft of a lot of decorative touches (like the curved bar area and cabinets) and furniture of comparable cabins. The bathroom was the worst and of course bereft of a tub, had a huge "wet room" type shower and frankly resembled the bathroom in a hospital. Very little storage and lots of big handrails etc. Again, all perfectly suitable for those with special needs. But it was a let down on many levels. It remains, however, the biggest accommodation I've ever occupied in a ship and one really had the sensation of having to walk from the bed to the dresser! Oh and a giant balcony, too.

Maybe the accessible cabins on QE and QV are different but I suspect not.

I've had several disability staterooms on the QE and QV...(upgrades....i swear!) and I have found that there seems to be less wardrobe space to enable the mechanism to pull out the rail down to wheel chair level. The bathrooms are indeed "wet rooms" with no storage under the sink. But all in all, they are much larger than the standard rooms, very handy to access ways and lifts. Balconys seem to be bigger albeit with a ramp down to the deck level, no problems watching the tv from the bed. On the QM and the QV when I have had these staterooms they have still had a sofa, in fact with the extra room on the QM2 one there was a sofa and chairs, it made for a great space for a party. Although i feel a little guilty initially, you soon get over it. If you have been upgraded close to sailing its because no one has booked it so I shouldn't worry. In fact a few years ago when I had one, during the cruise I was asked if I wouldn't mind moving to make way for someone who needed it once on board and it resulted in a fairly hefty upgrade.

Have an amazing trip....

regards Roscoe

• 4 weeks later...

Back from the trip now :( (but we did book a TA in August whilst aboard so not so bad!). Had a great time with exceptional weather.

As for the stateroom - it's a good choice. Very convenient location right by B stairwell. Bathroom has some storage so unless you travel with loads of toiletries, it'll be OK. The sliding door to the balcony was good as it allows you to keep the door open easier.

No sofa but we did get an additional dining style chair dropped off to the room. Overall size of room / balcony made up for that personally.

Only annoying thing was that there's an emergency button right behind the pillows and no way to disable it (I tried asking at the purser's desk). But this is a pretty small downside really.