A proper crossing: Our QM2 review of May 10, 2018, westbound transatlantic sailing

sppunk

Our waiter was too slow to come back after a poor course to get a new one before the next came out. None of the entrees were inedible, just meh. That’s not to fault the waiter, just a fact.

My wife was able to get plain salmon and a plate of steamed veggies no problem.

Regarding transportation, no idea. We met 6 or 7 couples using it solely for that. The kennel was full as well.

Every HAL ship I’ve sailed on has a shuffleboard court. And I’ve sailed on 7 of them.

I think the best ship might be Eurodam. Nothing really compares directly with the QM2, of course.

Well maybe they added them... I've sailed in MAASDAM, NIEUW AMSTERDAM (twice) and EURODAM (last in 2011) and no shuffleboard courts of any description anywhere in the vessels when we were aboard. The last HAL ship I sailed in that had them (and a whole deck devoted to it) was the ROTTERDAM (1959).

EURODAM and NIEUW AMSTERDAM used to be very nice ships and I relish the real teak promenade decks vs. the plastic of QE and QV but as with so much with HAL, they have been spoiled with recent refits with the library removed and the Crow's Nest bars spoiled.

Well maybe they added them... I've sailed in MAASDAM, NIEUW AMSTERDAM (twice) and EURODAM (last in 2011) and no shuffleboard courts of any description anywhere in the vessels when we were aboard. The last HAL ship I sailed in that had them (and a whole deck devoted to it) was the ROTTERDAM (1959).

EURODAM and NIEUW AMSTERDAM used to be very nice ships and I relish the real teak promenade decks vs. the plastic of QE and QV but as with so much with HAL, they have been spoiled with recent refits with the library removed and the Crow's Nest bars spoiled.

Maasdam has them in 2006 abs had them in April this year, photos from a live thread. Eurodam and NA have them on the sports deck. Here is a 2010 photo showing it on Eurodam: https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/destinations/caribbean/postcards-from-a-eurodam-caribbean-cruise/

Interesting you mention the logo shop. I have never really been enthralled with the “selection”. I am really surprised they don’t up their game.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting you mention the logo shop. I have never really been enthralled with the “selection”. I am really surprised they don’t up their game.

Again - a shadow of what it used to be. About half of the sole, remaining "real people" shop was logo merchandise in years gone.

- Mark

As promised I have scanned in all Daily Programmes (along with the interdenominational service program). I placed them in a public folder in my Dropbox and that can be found here.

If anyone has issues accessing these files, let me know. I believe Dropbox will allow those in the UK to view these but if not my apologies and I'll host them somewhere else.

All good here, thank you very much for sharing them.

Would you mind if I included a link in the "Welcome" sticky ?

Not at all! I thought about making a new thread for them just to help future searchers even.

As promised I have scanned in all Daily Programmes (along with the interdenominational service program). I placed them in a public folder in my Dropbox and that can be found here.

If anyone has issues accessing these files, let me know. I believe Dropbox will allow those in the UK to view these but if not my apologies and I'll host them somewhere else.

Thank you for sharing the Daily Programmes. We are doing a roundtrip in July and I'm looking forward to reviewing these to learn more about what to expect!

Thank you so much! My inner fact finder is very satisfied :)

Just wanted to chime in and add my thanks for these programmes. We will be first time Cunard travelers, NYC to Southampton in October, and it was great to see the line up.

Also adding a thank you for the programmes. We are sailing in July on our 5th TA crossing in the past ten year. I still appreciate the programmes as we get a feel for what has changed and what has not.

• 2 months later...
Not at all! I thought about making a new thread for them just to help future searchers even.

These programmes were not easy to find a 2nd time. I wish I had saved them after the initial discovery. So, you now have further evidence that your substantial contribution here lives on. As a first-time Cunard crossing novice (Eastbound, Oct 26), I have plenty of time to become familiar with the type and number of events. Clearly I'll need more than one crossing to benefit from all the options which apparently are available.

I was floored so many do take QM2 as transportation solely to avoid flying.

I've been surprised too. On every one of our half-dozen crossings there has been someone at out table using the ship for transportation. I don't imagine this is typical but still, more than I would have thought.

Regards, Colin.

I've been surprised too. On every one of our half-dozen crossings there has been someone at out table using the ship for transportation. I don't imagine this is typical but still, more than I would have thought.

Regards, Colin.

That would be us then. We travelled out on 10 May crossing and back on 10 June. I have to say we were underwhelmed by our first crossing on QM2 and much prefer Q.V. We would not choose to travel on QM2 again other than the only means of crossing the Atlantic without flying.

These programmes were not easy to find a 2nd time. I wish I had saved them after the initial discovery. So, you now have further evidence that your substantial contribution here lives on. As a first-time Cunard crossing novice (Eastbound, Oct 26), I have plenty of time to become familiar with the type and number of events. Clearly I'll need more than one crossing to benefit from all the options which apparently are available.
There is a link to the programmes in the Welcome sticky at the top of the board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2198505

• 2 weeks later...

We also were on the 10 May 2018 crossing from Southampton to Brooklyn and are mostly in agreement with op's review. It was our 2nd QM2 crossing and our 14th crossing in total.

Don't know what it is with the food service, whether it's a UK thing or what, but the food service was extremely impersonal with zero conversation between the staff and diners except to take orders. During the breakfast service in Britannia we often had to request coffee and even water although there were 1 or 2 servers who would ask if we wanted water and coffee. We did not particularly enjoy the beef at dinner although the lamb chops were the best we have had on a cruise ship so far. We found the food selection in KC for lunch to be excellent in terms of both variety and taste.

We were one of many couples using the QM2 solely for transportation although we find the ship to be beautiful, especially the artwork and the floral arrangements.

Thanks for the great review!