Queen Victoria or P&O Oceana

Maz85

I’m thinking of booking another Cruise, but I’m not sure which?!

Both go early January 2019.

Queen Victoria is for 4 nights (1 port of call) and P&O Oceana is for 7 nights (4 ports of call). The total cost for three of us on Queen Victoria is around £500 cheaper too.

However, I’ve always wanted to do a Cunard Ship, but don’t know if they represent good value for money.

Help please!

P&O and Cunard are quite different in terms of style. We've used both.

If you don't like too much formality, go with P&O

If you like being pampered, go with Cunard.

It's a bit like going standard class or first class, though that is an oversimplification.

The passengers on board are a different mix, too. P&O is very much aimed at the British market; while Cunard is much more international.

It's probably worth mentioning that there will be passengers only going to and from Hamburg on the QV. The run to Hamburg is the start of QVs World Cruise and the ship is just going there to serve the German market. This stopover won't result in a hun invasion, however.

The QV is a good ship in general, but she has one major downpoint: she's not the QM2.

QV is a lovely ship , for us much the nicest of the 3 queens. And far better than any of POs offerings. That said, unless you are thinking of going with Cunard and it’s formality, I would stick with P&O. There isn’t that much difference. Certainly not as much as some Cunard snobs would have you believe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been on both ships and for me personally, I would choose Q.V. Oceana is actually our least favourite ship in the P&O fleet she is small and tired, whereas QV is our favourite Cunard ship, so for us they really are complete opposites. Go for QV.

• 3 months later...

Thanks everyone for your replies. So we decided to book the Queen Victoria!

We're all really excited as it will be our first Cunard experience. Plus one of us is celebrating a birthday on the day we embark! Do we need to tell The ship?

Plus as we don't really know the ship, we thought we would take the chance and book an outside cabin on deck 1 on a guaranteed basis. Adds to the excitement! Does anyone know when our cabin will likely be allocated?

Good choice, have a great time.

Thank you Host Hattie. I find your frequent posts really informative and helped me to decide on what to choose.

Thank you too for posting a review of your Hamburg short break. It was really interesting. One question though - how long do you spend sailing down the Elbe to reach Hamburg.

The sail along the Elbe is about 8 hours each way and fantastic. Wrap up well and stay outside for at last some of it.

Guarantee cabins are often allocated about two weeks before departure, sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

Having sailed on both several times, I would say you have made the right decision. Have a wonderful time.

Hello Maz!

Like Hattie I think you've made a good decision!

The 4 days on QV will give you a good taster of Cunard...but I suspect you'll get off thinking it wasn't long enough!!

Good move re the Guaranteed Grade...the benefits of the Cunard Fare aren't worth it.

Your cabin number will be allocated a week or so before the voyage.

I can't recall exactly how long it takes get up/down the Elbe.. but as Hamburg is 60 odd miles in land, it's going to take 4hrs min. Super views from the Commadore Club after dinner!!

I note there isn't (or I can't find it) a Roll Call for this trip. Think I'll create one.

We've done this trip before. Went with my folks last year, and they were mightily impressed.

So much so we're going next year too!!

I'll sort a roll call when I have a mo as I've some TopTips to share. Main one is DON'T do any ships trips. Loads you can sort yourself.

But to back to you're initial question, I think you've made a good decision to go QV

Cheers!!

Mr. H.