Are cruiseline staff ostomy aware or will I get hassled? Plus nutritional supplements

Hi I love travelling but one thing that defers me is that I have an ileostomy. The ileostomy itself is ok but the stigma and judgmental people scare me. I do not want to get embarrased in public. The biggest worry are swimming pools/beaches. I can not completely hide my ostomy when in a bathing suit (but take note: you CAN NOT see the contents of the bag) and am afraid I will get kicked out of the pool because of uneducated people (an ostomy IS NOT like a diaper. It is completely sealed and the contents do not leak out) or people will make a scene. Do any of you have an ostomy and not get kicked out or witness people with ostomies not get removed? I thinking maybe I should print off some information from one of the ostomy associations and keep it on hand in case of this happened. I am NOT ashamed of my ileostomy and am willing to answer questions/educate people if they are generally interested and not trying to shame me.

Also in addition to my ostomy I have severe gastroparesis and am on a mostly liquid diet (ensure, boost, etc). Would I be able to bring these with me? There's also a possibility that I will have a feeding tube by the time I get to go so are you allowed to bring a pump, formula and all required supplies?

you need to contact the special needs department of whatever cruise lines you are considering. the nutritional supplements are usually no problem to bring aboard. a pump and other equipment would require approval and possibly be rented from the two companies that are authorized to do business with cruise lines. (special needs at se and scootaround)

and I beg to differ on them never leaking. happened to FiL a couple of times. luckily it was when he was home so could quickly and easily handle the issue. as to whether they would be permitted in a pool or hot tub, again, ask the cruise line directly.

Hi I love travelling but one thing that defers me is that I have an ileostomy. The ileostomy itself is ok but the stigma and judgmental people scare me. I do not want to get embarrased in public. The biggest worry are swimming pools/beaches. I can not completely hide my ostomy when in a bathing suit (but take note: you CAN NOT see the contents of the bag) and am afraid I will get kicked out of the pool because of uneducated people (an ostomy IS NOT like a diaper. It is completely sealed and the contents do not leak out) or people will make a scene. Do any of you have an ostomy and not get kicked out or witness people with ostomies not get removed? I thinking maybe I should print off some information from one of the ostomy associations and keep it on hand in case of this happened. I am NOT ashamed of my ileostomy and am willing to answer questions/educate people if they are generally interested and not trying to shame me.

Also in addition to my ostomy I have severe gastroparesis and am on a mostly liquid diet (ensure, boost, etc). Would I be able to bring these with me? There's also a possibility that I will have a feeding tube by the time I get to go so are you allowed to bring a pump, formula and all required supplies?

You are not required to have approval of the cruise line. As long as your Doctor has qualified you as fit to travel you do not need prior approval as well as you don't need prior approval from the cruise line for the pump and other equipment you will be bringing on board . Additionally SpecialNeedsatSeas and scootaround don't even rent the medical equipment you need.

You do have to complete a Special Needs Form for the cruise line you will be traveling. If you advise the cruise line I'll post the on-line for that line.

Following is what you need to request or advise the cruise line on the form

• If the equipment is electrical and requires an extension cord you'll have to request one from the ship in the special needs form. The extension has to meet certain safety requirement and any you bring will be confiscated.
  • Special Dietary Needs
    • state the Ensure that will be brought on board
    • If applicable at the time advise the feeding tube supplies.

You are required to store all supplies in your cabin. If flying all supplies are considered to be "Medical" and should be marked as such as the airlines cannot charge you extra baggage fees.

Re: pool and ostomy bag. It's more than likely that you will not be allowed in the pools. Bringing copies of information explaining isn't going to change that. Even though the type of bag is not designed to leak they do. The ship has to uphold heath regulations and if it did leak it becomes a costly item for the cruiseline. The pool has to be shut down, drained , disinfected , the entire deck area and chairs have to cleaned / disinfected not to mention any where else guests that vacated from the pool ventured. The whole process shuts down the area for at least 2 days for the amount of work required. The potential of that happening is reason enough to expect not to be allowed in the pools. Also ADA does not apply on board the ship unless by chance you're going on the NCL Pride of America.

Wish you well.

• 10 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, xxoocruiser said:

Re: pool and ostomy bag. It's more than likely that you will not be allowed in the pools. Bringing copies of information explaining isn't going to change that. Even though the type of bag is not designed to leak they do. The ship has to uphold heath regulations and if it did leak it becomes a costly item for the cruiseline. The pool has to be shut down, drained , disinfected , the entire deck area and chairs have to cleaned / disinfected not to mention any where else guests that vacated from the pool ventured. The whole process shuts down the area for at least 2 days for the amount of work required. The potential of that happening is reason enough to expect not to be allowed in the pools. Also ADA does not apply on board the ship unless by chance you're going on the NCL Pride of America.

Wish you well.

That is an ENTIRELY PERSONAL DECISION!!! I have had a colostomy since I was 17 and I am 55 now. I have not only traveled internationally extensively, cruised many times as a passenger but also worked on multiple cruise lines as crew. Not 1 single time in all my years in either capacity have I heard ostomates not being allowed in pools, Jacuzzis, etc....not once!! Granted mine is below my beltline and not visible if I have a swimsuit but it also has never been a problem. What I have seen on multiple sailings is children who have let a "pooh" go and an occasional bout of Noro hit an adult suddenly in the pool. So as long as your ostomy is secure you actually have LESS chance of an accident than "normal" people. 

If you can wear a colorful wrap you can swim in to hide it, go for it. Don't let judgmental people stop you from enjoying the vacation YOU paid for!

• 3 months later...
On 3/27/2019 at 9:35 PM, SakeDad said:

That is an ENTIRELY PERSONAL DECISION!!! I have had a colostomy since I was 17 and I am 55 now. I have not only traveled internationally extensively, cruised many times as a passenger but also worked on multiple cruise lines as crew. Not 1 single time in all my years in either capacity have I heard ostomates not being allowed in pools, Jacuzzis, etc....not once!! Granted mine is below my beltline and not visible if I have a swimsuit but it also has never been a problem. What I have seen on multiple sailings is children who have let a "pooh" go and an occasional bout of Noro hit an adult suddenly in the pool. So as long as your ostomy is secure you actually have LESS chance of an accident than "normal" people. 

If you can wear a colorful wrap you can swim in to hide it, go for it. Don't let judgmental people stop you from enjoying the vacation YOU paid for!

Im not sure where these bags are showing but if above the belt is a problem I’d wear a long sleeve shirt!  But then it is or was common to see me swimming in a long sleeve shirt as a burn easily.  When I taught swimming, at camp,I also had a straw hat on too!