AB ladies have found a new use for the HC restrooms.

In an shopping area, I attempted to use the ladies HC restroom. Well, as most of us have experienced, it was occupied. I was going to attempt to use the standard restroom, but the cleaning lady suggested no. So she knocked on the HC room without much luck. After an extended time, a lady came out … she was using it for a dressing room so she could try on a few items.

The cleaning lady firmly, yet very polite, told the lady that room was for the ADA. Afterwards, I thanked the cleaning lady for standing up for us. She told me that her mother was disabled and knows exactly what we go through.

Sorry guys, I do not have any idea if you will suffer the same problem or not.

Betty

In an shopping area, I attempted to use the ladies HC restroom. Well, as most of us have experienced, it was occupied. I was going to attempt to use the standard restroom, but the cleaning lady suggested no. So she knocked on the HC room without much luck. After an extended time, a lady came out … she was using it for a dressing room so she could try on a few items.

The cleaning lady firmly, yet very polite, told the lady that room was for the ADA. Afterwards, I thanked the cleaning lady for standing up for us. She told me that her mother was disabled and knows exactly what we go through.

Sorry guys, I do not have any idea if you will suffer the same problem or not.

Betty

Though this was your first time you experiencing such a thing, it's really not new. AB's have been using it for dressing rooms, to change into/out of their work clothes, a phone booth, break room etc. for a long time.

If the room is unoccupied anyone has a right to use it. Some people are more respectful than others if they know a person who actually needs the feature of that stall is waiting. BTW most stalls no longer are marked with an HC insignia and are not required to have one directly on the stall door as usage is not restricted to just people with a disability. The HC insignia only has to be on the main entrance door to denote there is a stall that has accessible features.

Another example of having to wasting time to create rules for common courtesy. I think most of us would agree that the AB should use the HC accommodations if no standard accommodations are available and no HC are waiting. But using the facilities for other purposes should not be allowed for either group. Nature is not always kind to us and our needs can be urgent.

One of the plus factors on the Regal was the fact there was a separate restroom with multiple stalls for the AB. The entrance and basic design did not allow for mobile devices, thus not practical for many of us to even attempt to access. Also, even though I can walk, it is a struggle and I'm getting tired of my sudoku books disappearing every time I leave my scooter unattended... only lost two on this trip.

I had not ever noticed anyone using a HC restroom as a dressing room or for other purposes. Except on one cruise, Ruth and I found a couple crew members making whoopee.

wile I am surprised they were permitted the bring the items out of the shop( which has dressing room already) its no different than changing diapers. we all know many HA restroom rooms are where the changing tables are.

the ones by the pools are alway used for this purpose and I don't see anything wrong with anyone doing it. and yes I need the HA stall as well..

I think that Betty's point is that trying on several outfits in the stall takes up a lot of time. Of course others may use this stall if it isn't needed but using the only stall available for an extended period that doesn't involve flushing is just rude. Go to a real dressing room.

I think that Betty's point is that trying on several outfits in the stall takes up a lot of time. Of course others may use this stall if it isn't needed but using the only stall available for an extended period that doesn't involve flushing is just rude. Go to a real dressing room.

changing a diaper takes a long time as well. or that mother who brings herself and her 2 kids in so that everyone can go potty.

The problem with posting a comment on something that might be a concern for others, there is always someone who wants to tear it apart. The Regal Princess has two ladies restrooms side by side at various locations on the ship.. One for the HC with a single stool, ample room for a large mobility device to maneuver and a sink. In addition, there are waste containers for applicable items and paper towels. No changing table.

I only looked in the AB restroom. The entrance and general area was rather narrow, not feasible for any mobile device. There were multiple stalls, however I did not notice a changing table, thus do not know if there was one or not.

Since the ship does offer both accommodations, side by side, there really is not any feasible excuse for the AB to be using the HC for anything.

Other than on ships, in airports I have utilized “family” restrooms which are accessible for HC. Most had two stools, one for adults and one for children. They also had a changing table. Where as the the standard lady's rest rooms in airports have stalls for HC, I have not noticed changing tables in the majority of the standard restrooms in airports.

While dining out, I have noticed that many ladies' restrooms do include an HC stall and a separate changing table in a general area, not the HC stall.

I do not recall ever seeing a changing table in any restroom on board a ship. Even though I do not feel it would be a need, others might. I think it would be easier just to take the child back to the cabin and change it there.

Since my baby is 54 years, I really do not go out looking for changing tables. Furthermore, I cannot remember ever being denied access to an accessible facility because someone was changing a diaper. In my opinion, I could certainly accept “changing diapers” as a temporary disability. It is a must for our children's health plus the clean diaper does improve the stench.