How do you manage luggage? Ideas please!

My husband has difficulty walking for any distance, and we are contemplating taking a roll later on our next cruise. He would also like to use his cane while on board the ship. My question is, I know I can drop my luggage off at the sidewalk when we catch our flight to Boston. However once we claim our luggage, how do you manage two or three pieces of luggage, as well as the rollator? My husband Always has a wheelchair to and from the gate, with an airport worker. I can push or carry the rollator to the gate. What happens on the other end when I have to collect it all?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband has difficulty walking for any distance, and we are contemplating taking a roll later on our next cruise. He would also like to use his cane while on board the ship. My question is, I know I can drop my luggage off at the sidewalk when we catch our flight to Boston. However once we claim our luggage, how do you manage two or three pieces of luggage, as well as the rollator? My husband Always has a wheelchair to and from the gate, with an airport worker. I can push or carry the rollator to the gate. What happens on the other end when I have to collect it all?

Just be dropped off at a curbside check-in. Have your luggage placed as closed to the check-in desk as possible. Let that agents know it's your luggage and get back in line. Once at the desk the agents will assist you with the luggage.

Prior to claiming your luggage you either find a Sky Cap (tip is expected) to assist you or locate a hand cart . There's usually racks of these throughout the baggage area. Make certain you have at least $2.00 in quarters with you as there is a fee for the cart.

Same applies regardless of airport .

When you arrive at Logan you should have already let an attendant know you will need wheelchair assistance. You will be one of the last off the plane so if connecting on future trips keep this in mind. Your husband uses his Rollator or have it gate checked so it is not in the main luggage hold. Once off the plane in the jet way he sits in the wheelchair and holds his rollator while you grab any carry on totes (or you carry the Rollator and he the totes). Have the person assisting you push him to the baggage claim area and help you locate a porter or sometimes the wheelchair assist does the bags pick up. Then tip the wheelchair assist person if you are now with a porter and head to the taxi or hotel shuttle pick up. Tip the porter once you, your husband and your bags are in line because it can get hectic at this point. Then just make sure all your bags get into your mode of transportation along with your husband and then you. If the airport wheelchair assist person is with you the entire way the same stuff happens but you just tip the one person. In the US I tip airport employees the equivalent of their minimum wage for the time used. So if they stay with you for a half hour round up to about $8 to $10 depending on how many bags you have.

Looked into luggage forward, 200.00 one way is a bit much! I’ll just plan on tipping a few people well. I didn’t think about him holding onto the rollator. We always check all of our bags curbside, except my tote with meds, etc.

When traveling with my parents (my mother a power wheelchair user), she drove her own power chair to the gate (the airline will get you a "pusher" for this at check-in, who will also take you expedited through TSA), and we loaded the carry-ons onto the manual wheelchair and my dad pushed that. Brought along bungie cords to keep everything in place. I hauled the travel lift to the gate and we gate checked both wheelchairs and the lift.

Looked into luggage forward, 200.00 one way is a bit much! I’ll just plan on tipping a few people well. I didn’t think about him holding onto the rollator. We always check all of our bags curbside, except my tote with meds, etc.

Not trying to be snarky, but how does the $200 luggage fee compare to the price of the cruise?

When She Who Must Be Obeyed and I travel on land for a week or a month prior to a cruise - usually a cruise to get back to the US - we ship a bag of cruise-only clothes to the ship and it shows up at our stateroom door. The last time we did so, it cost around $350 for a $5,500 cruise, not to mention how it sure beat lugging cruise-only clothes and supplies around while traveling on land.