Humidity

Hi

Looking at a cruise to the Caribbean. Barbados, St Lucia, Martinique, St Kitts, Antigua, Tortola, St Maarten In November.

Problem- Partner has MS and is a wheelchair user has problems with high humidity.

Question- How does humidity effect those on board the ship.

Is there any one who, has cruised to this destination with the same problem on CC. that can give some advise please

Thank you

Essiemom

Thanks for your input, happy to report that this is not the case.

Have cruised around the Med, Canaries, Baltics, Greek Isles, been okay, however the Caribbean is a different scenario, hence the post

Thank you

humidity affects everyone differently. the Caribbean is VERY humid and frequently there is little to no shade to be found when out and about. some indoor venues may not have A/c at all.

that doesn't even factor in the ease of getting around ports or doing tours in a WC.

Hi

Looking at a cruise to the Caribbean. Barbados, St Lucia, Martinique, St Kitts, Antigua, Tortola, St Maarten In November.

Problem- Partner has MS and is a wheelchair user has problems with high humidity.

Question- How does humidity effect those on board the ship.

Is there any one who, has cruised to this destination with the same problem on CC. that can give some advise please

Thank you

Also have MS and have cruise regularly. Even in November the heat and humidity can be an issue for someone with MS . With that said here's some tips as to how to be prepared to deal with it :

On board the ship

• Inside the public venues shouldn't be an issue. In fact at times if can be too cold. Suggest bringing lightweight sweater or an easy to pack pashmina.
  • In the room crank up the air conditioning if needed. Particularly during the time you're taking showers. While in the bathroom it's best the door remains propped open to reduce heat and humidity buildup.
  • Out on the open decks she may have to limit her time depending on the day and weather conditions. As you probably already know MS symptoms can change by the day and through out the day. She'll be able to gage herself .

In Port

• Again she'll be able to gage herself. Just don't wait too long to get out of the sun and get into a cooler spot when she feels fatigued by the heat and humidity. Also cool down the inner body temperature ( see below)
  • Suggest she pack a large travel cup with lid that can be filled with ice water before leaving the ship.
  • If she qualifies the National Multiple Sclerosis Association of America (MSAA) offer free cooling products. Link for information and on line application https://mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling-products/
  • If not able to get cooling products through the MSAA than consider purchasing on line :
    • Cooling towel - One that is activated by water and works based on evaporation is easy to pack Can be purchased on line from Wal-Mart, Dick's Sporting Goods, Amazon . Just do a Google search
    • Cooling scarf - again water activated and works based on evaporation. Such as this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/JellyBeadZ-Cooling-Scarf-Bandana-Keeps/dp/B004XX4X9E
    • Most definitely she should bring wide brim hat to shade her face. If she doesn't already have one you can find easy to pack travel hats on line. Personally I like the ones from San Diego Hat Company. You also find
    • some on Amazon.,

Most important any effects from heat and humidity are not permanent . As my neuro has always stressed when a person with MS starts to feel the effects of heat and humidity you need to cool your body temperature from the inside . Non alcoholic slushy drinks and any liquid with a lot of ice is the RX needed to accomplish this fast. Thus the reason to have a larger travel container with ice and cold water with her at all times.

With this all said. You'll both have a wonderful time ! Cruising is my favorite way to travel now living with MS. I cruise every year with a group of people all over the country that MS. We are not affiliated or sponsored by any of the MS association or foundations. Just a group of people that enjoy traveling and being among others who understand the MS can an does vary how a person feels each day. You can find us on Facebook . "MS Cruisers"

Have traveled the world when working never having divulge my MS to an employer and continue to travel. I'm dependent on a mobility scooter. If he two of you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me.