From Anthem to JFK

Hello

As the name suggests we are looking for some advice on timing for departure from Anthem at Cape Liberty and getting to JFK.

Have the option for an 11am flight from JFK to LAX and need a confirmation from anyone that has done it and made the flight.

Will be walking off with our bags and will have a pre booked private car.

Cruise is departure 9th May 2019 Bermuda and Caribbean 9 night.

Dan

I agree with Bob check with the East Coast board. As native of Long Island and someone who has driven that route many times I think you are cutting it too close. I wouldn't be comfortable with 11:00. You have to allow for getting through customs, The traffic going over the bridge and on the Belt Parkway could be tough and the line at TSA at JFK could be long. I would want to be at the airport no later than 9:00 for an 11:00 flight. They usually start boarding a half hour before take off. I don't book a flight before 1:00 at any port. A few years ago we were returning to Brooklyn on the Caribbean Princess. It was the middle of May and the wind was so strong that the ship slammed into the dock and knocked out the gangway. They didn't start disembarkation until 10:00. We didn't get off of the ship until 12:00. The chances of that happening are slim to none but even if it is raining it could cause traffic to the airport to be worse than usual.

What time are you allowed to leave the ship? I think I read 7:30 am being the earliest.

New Jersian here who travels out of all 3 airports Newark (EWR), LaGuardia (LGA), and New York Kennedy (JFK). Unless you are driving at 2 am in the morning, there is ALWAYS traffic getting to JFK from New Jersey. Not to mention the constant construction on the roads and bridges you will be using. Your GPS will tell you 1 hour ETA but you have to account for anywhere between 15 - 60 minutes being added for traffic.

I think a 11 am flight would be cutting it close. However, there have been many times I have been late getting to the airport. I have arrived 30 minutes prior to gate closing and still made it ( a couple of times I was literally the last person to enter the plane). But I had TSA precheck, did online check-in, and did not have any bags to check. Those three things saved my tush a few times.

As a native New Jersyian I would try to book a later flight. The traffic going from NJ to NY is insane especially when taking the Belt Pkwy. The 30 mile trip from to cruise terminal to the airport is usually about and hour and 15 minutes with light traffic. With legit traffic it could take two hours.

There's a good chance you will make it, but a possibility you won't. Wouldn't personally take the chance. Lots of folks on Anthem do walk-off. Queue starts to build before 6am. Would rather enjoy breakfast. You do return on Saturday morning which is good for traffic, but if there is a drop of rain on the road the Belt Parkway can turn into a parking lot. Is your JFK flight really that much cheaper than flying out of EWR which is 20 miles closer? You would also save on shorter limo ride.

Unless the price is significantly cheaper, I would highly recommend a flight from EWR instead. I also wouldn't chance an 11am flight. Traffic on the Belt Pkwy can be horrendous. As mentioned, it will be a Saturday which is a plus, but there would be too many unknowns for me.

Yes, Saturday is likely to be better but you still never know. I tend to avoid anything but EWR if at all humanly possible. I’ve been able to get home from JFK in 45 minutes. Next time, same time of day, took 3 hours. Completely unpredictable.

Do not have first hand experience with that port. However, we had similar flight arrangements a few years ago in Ft. Lauderdale. The disembarkation was delayed because of customs by two hours. So we missed our flights, lesson learned.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I have been looking at flights from Reno to NJ for March 2019 and I am finding that flying into NY, either airport, is about $300 cheaper than flying into EWR. We are trying to decide if it would be easier to just bite the bullet and take the seeming less hassell of flying into EWR. That said, I always book a flight after 12 noon just because we always have to get back home and would rather wait in an airport than try to rebook airfare. Good luck with your decision.

Actually, I have been looking at flights from Reno to NJ for March 2019 and I am finding that flying into NY, either airport, is about $300 cheaper than flying into EWR. ... .

Check Southwest after August 30, they will have opened their schedule for the rest of March 2019.