Taxi or car service (not uber)

Sheltieluv

Call me paranoid, but with all the data breaches going on, I would rather not put my credit card info out there any more than necessary.

We will need transportation to the Miami Sheraton Airport Hotel after debarking at the port of Miami. I've read that there will be taxis readily available, but I've also read that they can provide less than pleasant service. I don't want to use uber because I would have to download the app and put my credit card info in.

I know that I can probably arrange a car service, or should I just get brave and use a Taxi? Grit my teeth and bear it for the ride to the Sheraton? Opinions/advice welcome!:)

I use a taxi to the a hotel & to the airport no problems

only once we got a taxi at the Intercontinental & the guy either had the heat on or his A/C did not work thank goodness we were just going to the port

On my last trip (in Tampa) we took an Uber from the airport to our hotel and a taxi from the port to the airport (forgot I had shut my data off and couldn’t get the app working). Yes, the uber was a much more pleasant ride than the taxi. It was a regular person driving the way you or I would since he wasn’t on a meter. The taxi was a like riding a roller coaster. The guy is talking nonstop on his Bluetooth while he driver excessively fast and aggressively. Most people would tell me I drive too fast and aggressively at times and I was uncomfortable in the taxi.

I would pick the uber over the taxi any day. IMO credit cards exists to protect your bank accounts from thieves. Yes, credit card numbers are easy to steal, but the fraud protection is high. And the money being stolen isn’t yours.

But, in Miami I’ve used a shared ride service called SLS; they only do some routes but were a pleasant ride. If you are unwilling to do uber I would look into a shared ride service or a car service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was going to use Uber for the first time while traveling to my last cruise, but decided to just use a taxi. They are right outside of the doors. It was fine. The driver was pleasant and there were no issues. I also took a cab from the hotel to the port without any problems. It's more expensive, but very convenient.

If your hotel is close to the airport, they probably have a shuttle service.

You are paranoid for absolutely no reason. You are not responsible for a credit card charge due to breach. So why would you even care? I'd be more paranoid carrying cash, if you lose your cash, you ARE responsible for it.... But if you would rather pay more for a dirty, unsafe taxi with a rude driver so you can pay cash, then I guess, hey, go for it. They are certainly there and available.

A taxi is fine. I just prefer Uber because for a better price you typically have a more professional driver and a better car.

Personally I would not worry about a data breach. If your credit card is compromised and you report it the card companies do not charge you. I have had a couple of data breaches and they were caused from shopping in specific stores so it is either don't use a credit card or use it.

However if you are worried just take a taxi. They are plentiful at the port.

Keith

1. Data breaches have not been reported from individual devices.

2. Data breaches are reported from large data repositories. This means that, if you use your credit card at a hotel, there is a higher chance of it being stolen from the hotel data bank.

3. If your card is 'stolen', it's no biggie...more of an inconvenience. The big CC companies cover the loss and never bat an eye.

4. Uber or Lyft offer a really nice product.

Taxi is fine. They are there and the ride should not be much.

As for the data breach thing, you are never responsible for fraudulent charges so I don't understand your logic there. If your card is hacked, its the credit card company and vendor's problem, not yours. My card gets fraudulent charges at least once every 12-16 months. I just call, get a new card and move on with my life.

Probably have a better chance someone stealing your info if you use your card to pay for a card service or taxi than from the Uber app.

Its a short enough ride that even in an unpleasant cab it will be fine.

Personally, I'd be more worried about paying a taxi with my card then I would paying Uber with my card via their app. Who knows if the taxi driver has a skimmer on their card reader. Uber is a 5.1 billion dollar company so they're going to do more to protect your data than some local cab company. Plus it's cheaper, cleaner and typically a nicer driver. BUT that's just me, and I'm a person who doesn't use cash. Enjoy your trip!

We have 7 in our party so have decided to use a private minibus for transportation to our hotel in Mary Bricknell from MIA. I’ve been quoted $100 for the 7 of us, complete with luggage, for an evening collection. Is that a fair price?

We thought we’d be able to just grab a couple of taxis to the ship on the morning of embarkation as we believe the port isn’t that far from our hotel (East - took Keith1010’s recommendations ;))?

Additionally, how long does it take from Port Miami to the airport (just wondering what time I should book the pick-up for on our return journey for a midday flight)? What would be a reasonable cost for this return journey in a private minibus?

Many thanks in advance.

We have 7 in our party so have decided to use a private minibus for transportation to our hotel in Mary Bricknell from MIA. I’ve been quoted $100 for the 7 of us, complete with luggage, for an evening collection. Is that a fair price? You could split up into two minivan/SUV cabs for about $25 per taxi and save 50%

We thought we’d be able to just grab a couple of taxis to the ship on the morning of embarkation as we believe the port isn’t that far from our hotel (East - took Keith1010’s recommendations ;))? Correct - taxi ride to POM should be about 10 min and the cost per cab should be about $15

Additionally, how long does it take from Port Miami to the airport (just wondering what time I should book the pick-up for on our return journey for a midday flight)? What would be a reasonable cost for this return journey in a private minibus? Taxi from POM to MIA should take about 15-20+ minutes, depending upon day of the week and traffic. The flat rate fare applies between POM & MIA -- $27+tip per taxi

Many thanks in advance.

Have a great cruise! :cool: