Carnival 2 free up grades are not true

sweets2323

I checked a few trips from 2017 to 2018 and everyone that I checked the upper level was sold out. Basically, you are not able to use the 2 level upgrades. Level 1 and 2 us available and 2 3 4 5 6 I sold out then 7 and 8 miraculously is available.

I'm curious about this as well, because I've never noticed any actual upgrade when attempting to book.

I checked a few trips from 2017 to 2018 and everyone that I checked the upper level was sold out. Basically, you are not able to use the 2 level upgrades. Level 1 and 2 us available and 2 3 4 5 6 I sold out then 7 and 8 miraculously is available.

I bought 4G and got upgraded to 6C before

You might be misunderstanding the offer. Basically if you pick say an interior (4F) on deck 8 midships you will be given the price that is normally for an interior (4D) on deck 6 midships.

The offer does not bump you from an interior to a balcony, or from a balcony to a suite, even if you pick the highest available category within a cabin type. If you pick say 8A balcony your booking price will be the same as if you picked an 8B or 8C. You will notice when using the booking engine on a laptop as opposed to the app exactly which decks are considered inclusive for the cabin type and cabin category at the price point you pick.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

I think you might be misinformed how the two level works. Maryred explained in an above post but to take it further:

Interior rooms are denoted as 4's, ocean views as 6's and balcony's as 8's. There are a few exceptions to these such as cove balcony being 7C. The letter denotes location or unique features such as 4J's are priced as interior but have a window.

It will vary slightly by ship but lets use the Breeze as an example:

Deck 1: 4A and 4B interior staterooms

Deck 2 4B and 4C interior staterooms

There are no guest accommodations on 3,4or5

Deck 6: 4D, 4E, and 4J interior staterooms

If you were to book a 4D stateroom on deck 6 you would pay the price for a 4B on deck 2. Does that make it more clear? There is a possibility that some of the staterooms types you desire will be sold out. I am sailing the Splendor next year. All the 4J's were booked within weeks of that cruise being announced.

Just a little bit further clarification in addition to what others have said: upgrades are within a numbered category - not across numbered categories. The two "upgrades" would be within category 4 (for example) not from category 4 up to category 6. :)

Last month when I booked the fare for our trip in December 2017, I booked a fare that included a 2 level upgrade for a balcony cabin. The booking engine automatically gave me the upgraded cabins available at that time for the number of travelers we have. So price is for a cabin type 8B but the cabins showing available are 8D cabins. Go to the CCL web page that gives you the cabin descriptions by cabin number. You will see what the level/type is for each cabin number.

So the fare worked the way it is supposed to for me last month.

I've always thought Carnival's offer of free upgrades is worthless because their so-called upgrades mean you are getting the exact same cabin in a different location. Newer customers that are not familiar with Carnival's marketing strategies are more easily convinced this marketing holds value.

As someone with over 30 Carnival cruises under my belt, I understand this offer is nothing more than a marketing ploy, and it doesn't entice me at all to book a Carnival cruise.

It pays to be a careful, informed consumer if you want the best value for your cruising dollar.

I've always thought Carnival's offer of free upgrades is worthless because their so-called upgrades mean you are getting the exact same cabin in a different location. Newer customers that are not familiar with Carnival's marketing strategies are more easily convinced this marketing holds value.

As someone with over 30 Carnival cruises under my belt, I understand this offer is nothing more than a marketing ploy, and it doesn't entice me at all to book a Carnival cruise.

It pays to be a careful, informed consumer if you want the best value for your cruising dollar.

I read this twice and have no idea what you are talking about.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So if I book Splendor 6b with a 2 category upgrade, what should my upgrade be?

Your booking location is what you choose, Carnival is not going to move you from the cabin you pick without your consent (unless if course you pick a guaranteed cabin type then you get the leftover cabins).

So if you pick a 6B cabin, which is an Oceanvuew generally midships on deck 1 or forward or aft on deck 2, you will be charged the rack rate for a 6A cabin, which is an Oceanview usually forward or aft on deck 1. With this example you might as well pick a 6C, an Oceanview midships deck 2, as that will be the same price tier.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Thank you. I have a much better under standing now. Basically I'm paying for a more expensive catergory at a lower rate if it's available..,

Pretty much correct, there are times when you get a different type of room, example interior to ocean view etc, but you get the idea.

I agree with your explanation also. I think a lot has to do with marketing strategies for new cruisers, or those not familiar with the way things actually work. They often move your from middle to back, back to front, front to middle, and sometimes, up a deck or two in the same or similar category. If my current cabin location is located between two cabin decks, why would I select an "upgrade" to one right below the Lido. I guess being one deck from the food and pool is really enticing to some people, but the noise level is not once you get onboard and have to sleep under the noise.

I read this twice and have no idea what you are talking about.

I think he means that all the cabins pretty much look the same, all the balcony rooms look the same, all the insides look the same and all ocean views look the same they're just in a different location and some locations are not as good as others.

must be something else enticing you since you have 38 cruises and counting and over 30 on Carnival.:)

Carnival doesn't care what is enticing you to book with them as long as you are booking with them.

Bill

Bill

I quite agree. In nearly 30 cruises I've only been "upgraded" twice (inside to an oceanview). If it isn't a category upgrade it's just not an upgrade, plain and simple.

I quite agree. In nearly 30 cruises I've only been "upgraded" twice (inside to an oceanview). If it isn't a category upgrade it's just not an upgrade, plain and simple.

That's your opinion. Many find a higher deck an upgrade so moving, say an 8h on Deck 6 to an 8k on deck 7, would be an upgrade. Same goes for moving from foward/after to midship.

The definition of upgrade is broader than your narrow one.

Carnival doesn't care what is enticing you to book with them as long as you are booking with them.

Bill

Bill

Pretty much just like every other cruise line. Who cares if they (or you or I) think it an upgrade to go from different types of rooms within the same type (inside, balcony, suite)?

Doesn't matter what we think. Cruiselines believe higher decks are worth more...the higher you stay, the more you sway, the more you sway, the more you pay

I believe it is the other way around. Passengers think that a higher deck is better, so the cruise lines charge more for what is more in demand. EM