What's your favorite part of the MDR menu/experience?

Keys2Heaven

sitting down and being served is the best. If I want to pick up a tray and stuff my plate, I'll go to Golden Corral. We NEVER do buffets, gross. The only thing we wait for is pizza or the deli.

All of that exactly.

I know I'm not really and I know they are paid to do it but still, even knowing all that, they manage to make me feel special. Like I'm getting the royal treatment. It's just not something I get much of in real life.

If I win the lottery I might just try and live on a cruise ship. At the very least there will be a lot of B2B2B2Bs and more...

What say you CC'ers....what's your favorite part of the MDR menu/experience? Are you an app, an entree, or a dessert individual? Or, do you love it all! Do you have a favorite item on the menu? If so, what is it?

My favorite part of the experience is the elegance of the dinner party experience at a large table of former strangers that meet together at table to be served by others. My family of four always asks for a large table. Hearing about everyone's day is always a blast!

If I'm not really that hungry, I go to the MDR anyway and just order an app, salad and cheese plate and finish with the banana split off the children's menu, perfect. I like the flexibility of being able to order a la carte off the menu. An entire week of not having to plan, shop, cook and clean up breakfast, lunch, and dinner is heavenly!!!

Love this thread! We just booked our first CCL cruise (with the kids along) after doing several RCCL with just my husband and I.

I love everything about the whole MDR experience on a cruise. The anticipation of getting dressed up to go to dinner. The meeting of new friends, and the catching up of everyone's day. The trying of new things that we wouldn't ordinarily eat at home. And the fact that someone else cleans up afterwards.

We are really looking forward to trying the different foods on CCL. It's going to be so much fun!

Wow! Lots of great responses. Yes, the staff! Just how DO they remember your name(s) so quickly?! And how they can remember you sometimes years later! Just amazing.

We've always had tremendous service. Our family vividly remember Turpin and Christian who served as our wait staff when sailing Destiny in 2006. We took our daughters with us on that cruise. We sailed out of San Juan at the beginning of December, so there were a lot of locals on board. Not sure if it is a cultural thing, but not many locals ate in the dining room. As a result, our daughters were doted on. Turpin and Christian went out of their way to make our daughters feel extra special, even bringing them a whole Baked Alaska (as a joke)! These two were one of the highlights of our cruise and we can't think of the cruise without thinking of them!

The MDR experience is one of things we most look forward to when cruising. These folks truly go out of their way to make you happy. If you've ever done the Chef's Table and have gone through the kitchen, you know how hard they work and the environment they are in.

Fantastic. We had Linton and Moulton in March 2007, same ship, same cruise, and they treated our kids like royalty. Still remember 10 years later

I love the bread and butter. I don't know why because it's probably not even real butter. But this is something I never ever eat at home, not even when I go out for dinner. I love when I get lucky and get the fresh basket with the nice warm rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question when eating in MDR and your seated at large table , do you have to wait till the whole table is done eating before you leave the table, if it just 2 in your party? We are the kind people that like to eat and leave, don't like just sitting around after I'm threw,

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

I think people typically stay until people have finished their courses. But if there is something special you need to get to, like a show that is starting shortly - or if you feel too full for dessert - I also have seen people excuse themselves with a brief explanation. It's really up to you. I don't think its a problem to leave early, so long as you acknowledge the others & excuse yourselves. It is a problem for the rest of the table (and the servers) if people are late to the dinner.

The chocolate melting cake is it for me!!! My spouse and I have only been on one cruise and we could not stop thinking about it when we got off. It is actually one of the reasons why we booked carnival again for our honeymoon in hawaii next year. We will spend 11 days on the ship and plan to get it almost everyday. It is amazing!!!

I love that our 17-year old son has to sit and talk to us for 1 1/2 hours.

TOTALLY THIS!!!! The kids can't just grab dinner and run, or sit there on their phones. When they aren't arguing, it can actually be quite pleasant! ;p

I enjoy bantering with tablemates over the menu. "What are you getting?" "I'm not sure, what are you getting?" It's such a simple thing but taking the time to sit down for a meal and talk about the menu (and the day) is special to me.

My favorite MDR memory: I was traveling with 3 other friends. It takes all kinds and 1 of our group wasn't acting as sweet as she could. (read this as: always late for dinner, wrinkled her nose over the choices, took FOREVER to come to a decision, and many times changed her mind ten minutes after our orders were taken. We'd given her a hard time over not being as nice to the waitstaff as she should be. It was, frankly, a little embarrassing.) On the last night of our cruise, we'd finished our entrees and knew that the dessert menus were coming up next. Our waiter handed 3 of us menus and proceeded to place every possible dessert in front of our friend. We got a good laugh and our friend gave the waiter a hug. He handled a delicate situation well and I admire him (and his colleagues) for his hard work on a cruiseship. Don't know how they do it.

What a super positive thread!! Thanks!!

We always eat in the MDR for supper, and we always ask for a large table in order to meet new people. (We are retired).

We are still cruising with some wonderful tablemates we met over 10 years ago....such fun!!:D

My DH loves the cold fruit soups, and we both always get a shrimp cocktail as a starter each night.....yummy!

I love fish, and I am usually able to find good choices most nights. If not, then I love the hot soups, the caesar salad and the fruit plates.:D

I love that our 17-year old son has to sit and talk to us for 1 1/2 hours.

I am looking forward to my three kids talking to EACH OTHER. The phones are going to be in quarantine for the 6 day duration of the cruise.

It is one of the highlights of the cruise!

Most of them were mentioned, but I agree:

The fancy sit down dinner that we get to dress up for.

Meeting new people and making connections for the trip.

Trying food I would normally not try (I am picky).

Not having to eat the food if I do not like it...and ordering something else.

Waiters treating my teen boys like gentleman and me like a lady.

A few of our favorite foods:

Lobster

Grand Marnier Souffle

Stuffed Mushrooms

Shrimp Cocktail