It's been 9 years since my last Carnival cruise. What's been taken away?

Cruiser Joe

The only thing that has changed in 9 years is the entertainment section- no more calypso bands on the lido deck and no more orchestra for the shows of course this is my opinion. But main thing I noticed

is the age demographics of the guests there seems to be more families than 9 years ago.

Gary

My last 3 cruises (2 in May 2016, 1 in December 2016, and I think May 2015 may have had it as well) all had calypso bands on Lido, and they were often playing sets in the evening as well.

I went on my first cruise in 2004 and honestly, I don't feel like the cost to take a Carnival cruise is any more now than it was back then but the cost of living certainly is so I say bravo to Carnival for still providing a great vacation for the average Joe(or Joyce) whom otherwise may not be able to afford to take trips to tropical islands or far away lands. I enjoy any meal that I didn't have to cook and don't have to clean up after. I love the fact that they provide us with endless amounts of entertainment options and plenty of relaxing areas where we can just kick back and relax and allow our cares to just float away. And to top it all off, this wonderful floating hotel takes me to exotic places that I only dreamed of ever seeing. Yes ,they have had to make cut backs because if they didn't there would be far fewer people who would be able to cruise,myself being one of them. If you are not like me and you can afford an increase in cost to be able to have everything the way it used to be then you are one of the lucky ones and you can pick and choose among the cruise lines.I, for one ,still believe that cruising is the best way to travel because for less than the cost of a decent hotel room for a week I not only get a comfortable bed to sleep in but I get all my meals and entertainment provided,get treated like a welcome guest and get dropped off in a different exotic place almost every day. That's good living at it 's best and I am not going to complain.Here's to being able to continue to cruise until I can no longer get on the ship.lol:D:D:D

I love Carnival, but it's been 9 years since my last cruise. I know Carnival has cut back on some costs in the last decade. Is there anything that you miss that Carnival used to offer that they don't offer now?

From what I have read here in Cruise Critic, it appears that Carnival has cut back on:

--no more mints on the pillows

--no more lobster on the shorter cruises

--no twice-a-day housekeeping on some ships

--no past-guest party for non-platinum guests

--no tablecloths on non-elegant nights in the dining room

Anything else?

they now give you an oar so that you can help keep the ship moving

It is amazing at how affordable cruises are now, compared to years back. I remember when I first started cruising, looking for "2 for 1 deals" and pretty much the best I could hope for was about $100 a night, per person. This was for an inside cabin. Granted, I didn't know about checking for price drops, so maybe I could have done better. But if I look around & book early, I can now get a balcony for about that price. There have been cutbacks but it's such a great, affordable vacation still.

We really enjoy Carnival. I miss the midnight buffet. But understand that it was a loosing deal for them by the time they dumpt it. The 2.0 changes have been nice. We still like the relaxed atmosphere Carnival offers..The Ships may not be as big and fancy as some competition..But at the end of the day, Carnival Corp (Which Owns 6/7 other cruise lines) Is still Far bigger in both sizes and profits then any other..And I think that's how they can make the cruise experience more affordable for so many of us. We show alot of loyalty to them for that (And the fun drinks :D).

We've been cruising for 30 years. Adjust cost and we get balcony for what we used to pay for inside.

Dee

Exactly. My first cruise around 1981 paid $599 for an inside or outside (can't remember) . . . cruised the BREEZE a few months ago for $479 inside . . . there aren't any miracles . . . cost go up . . . prices must, unless a few items are eliminated.

We've been cruising for 30 years. Adjust cost and we get balcony for what we used to pay for inside.

Dee

SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST (tried everything to dump it)

Edited by glrounds

My last 3 cruises (2 in May 2016, 1 in December 2016, and I think May 2015 may have had it as well) all had calypso bands on Lido, and they were often playing sets in the evening as well.

That is good you know since I'll be on the Glory 4/22/17. Maybe CCL changed there minds about the Calypso.

Gary

Seems like a negative to ask what has been taken away. What has changed for better or worse might be more productive. That said I can honestly say I see what it costs to travel now including some outrageous car rental costs and some equally outrageous "Resort fees" that give me nothing I would ever pay for. I believe cruising and particularly on Carnival especially if you know how to book has even more value now than years ago. I don't disagree some things are no longer on a cruise, the midnight buffet as one example. But given the choices now for food including both included and the fantastic Steakhouse I would take that over a midnight buffet. (I can't say enough good things about the Steakhouse on some ships) Most things are just not something I really miss, except the Stage shows. I do feel there is no comparison to the excellent stage shows of years past and today. BUT ---- I do like the live concert series and in fact can't wait for our cruise in May and to see Jay Leno. We also love the Comic clubs that have been added and have a great time going to their shows.

So I see it as some things are no longer and some things are added and the additions many times are as good or better than before.

I'm getting ready to book a cruise and am pretty disappointed with the changes I've read about (been a long time since I could afford a cruise). I'm wondering if there is a different line that still offers some/all of these amenities?

I'm getting ready to book a cruise and am pretty disappointed with the changes I've read about (been a long time since I could afford a cruise). I'm wondering if there is a different line that still offers some/all of these amenities?

I think cutbacks have happened across the cruise lines, all of them. I don't know about the luxury cruise lines as I have never sailed on one - but from the time I've spent on the celebrity & HAL boards - the regulars lament the cutbacks on those cruise line too. I don't think any of the mainstream cruise lines have a midnight buffet anymore. The production shows may be better on other mainstream cruise lines. More variety on the celebrity buffets, and a nice no added charge sushi station when I cruised with them. But the sandwich grill didn't have sauerkraut to make a reuben - I was only able to get it because Captain was lunching nearby & overhead my request - told them to go find me some sauerkraut!

I love Carnival, but it's been 9 years since my last cruise. I know Carnival has cut back on some costs in the last decade. Is there anything that you miss that Carnival used to offer that they don't offer now?

From what I have read here in Cruise Critic, it appears that Carnival has cut back on:

--no more mints on the pillows

--no more lobster on the shorter cruises

--no twice-a-day housekeeping on some ships

--no past-guest party for non-platinum guests

--no tablecloths on non-elegant nights in the dining room

Anything else?

A cool cabin! Not joking. It seems to be hit or miss on getting a cabin that's cool. We no longer cruise with Carnival because of it. Our last 3 cruises we were miserable trying to sleep. Not gonna pay that much money to have a cabin so hot you don't want to be in it. Maybe that's why they have increased the cabin temps, so you'll spend more while on board ;p