Can the onboard doctor prescribe and dispense antibiotics(z-pack) if the need arises?

Carleeb12

Yes, they can prescribe antibiotics, but I don't know much about z-pack, so I don't know if it would be stocked onboard.

I only ask about the z-pack because I am allergic to penicillin and amoxycillin. Also, I assume they can do children's dosing in liquid form as well?

Any idea what the onboard doctor charges? Do you end up paying through the nose for services and prescriptions?

I only ask about the z-pack because I am allergic to penicillin and amoxycillin. Also, I assume they can do children's dosing in liquid form as well?

Any idea what the onboard doctor charges? Do you end up paying through the nose for services and prescriptions?

No they do not have liquid pediatric meds on board but will dispense adult level meds at a dose suitable for the child's weight as an in sickbay visit. They might give you a prescription to get filled at the next port of if the ship's doctor's degree is recognized by that country.

Have not looked at the prices in 3 decades but back in 1990 treatment for an UTI, initial MD visit and 1 follow-up with nurse, along with 4 days of meds (I forget if it was Macrobid or Rocephin) was in excess $130. Thanks to travel insurance covering the visit I paid on board but was reimbursed in full, as most US healthcare does not cover ship board or on island care.

Thanks to travel insurance covering the visit I paid on board but was reimbursed in full, as most US healthcare does not cover ship board or on island care.
:fever:

I checked with my employer benefits department. Both of our medical plan offerings (high and low tier) do cover both emergency and non-emergency medical care on the ship and on the islands. I offer this in the event "most US healthcare does not cover ship board or on island care" was an assumption rather than findings from actual stats.

I checked with my employer benefits department. Both of our medical plan offerings (high and low tier) do cover both emergency and non-emergency medical care on the ship and on the islands. I offer this in the event "most US healthcare does not cover ship board or on island care" was an assumption rather than findings from actual stats.

I have found the same. Our insurance works the same out of the country, on ships, etc. as it does at home. My family members have checked with their insurance companies and the same can be said for them as well. The only difference is we might be charged out-of-network prices for non-emergency medical care. As for getting a rx before we go, we have high deductible insurance, so I don't exactly want to spend $100+ for a dr. visit and rx if I don't end up needing it. I just wanted to make sure they would have the antibiotics on the ship in the event they are needed.

Not an assumption at all. Have family that work extensively in the healthcare insurance industry, notably with Blue Cross, Aetna, Cigna, and United HC. Out of these only the relative that works with Empire BC states subscribers having some success with international coverage at the usual and customary rate after the out of network family level deductible is satisfied, and that is after arguing the point that they where not properly informed on needing pre-authorization for non-emergency care or what constitutes stabilization to return home treatment in case of emergency, mostly because the employer's HR/benefits department misunderstood the GEO-Blue coverage.

So before dismissing out-of-hand the power of travel insurance you may wish to read these articles and directly contact the your plan's department at the insurance company (not your employer) to make sure the ship, ports of call, and types of excursions are indeed covered, what the correct pre-cert procedure is before obtaining treatment, and at what level you can expect reimbursement of your out of pocket expenses.

https://www.bcbs.com/learn/bcbs-blog/coverage-goes-where-you-go-travel-worry-free-blue-cross-blue-shield

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/03/20/does-my-health-insurance-work-outside-of-the-united-states/

http://www.budgettravel.com/feature/will-your-health-plan-cover-you-overseas,1912/

My son was prescribed a Z pack for a flare up of an asthma attack on board. He had developed a URI and it set off his asthma. The care was comparable to anything that would have been done on a land based ER.

It was reasonable, only around $200 (back in 2010) out of pocket for an exam, x rays, antibiotics, steroids, and a nebulizer treatment. They could have done more if he needed, but if he was too sick I have no doubt he would have been transferred off the ship. I made sure to get him to the infirmary before the asthma attack looked bad.

Our travel insurance covered the trip, his health insurance plan didn't as it was an HMO and of course the doctor was out of network. If he had got care at an actual ER, it would have been covered. Since it was not that setting, the rule for the physician being in network applied, which is ridiculous as it was on a ship at sea & out of the country. Anyway, I did have to get a denial from the health plan & then the travel insurance covered, as we had secondary insurance.

Since then, I've gone the extra step of having primary coverage to not need to deal with getting denials & jump through the extra hoops.

Here are some prices that I saw listed last July on the Conquest. Not sure how much they charge for antibiotics or other meds.

426c38757496271dfaef979ed0a5525b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Interesting. Thank you. I wonder what the difference is between a nurse consult and a dr. consult.

I'm allergic to the same antibiotics as you, and carry an Epi Pen because the allergy is so severe.

I always take an emergency pack of meds that I know are safe for me to take that I get from my doc before travel.

I can understand your concern, I'd be the same, so perhaps you could see if your doc will prescribe before your trip?

I've heard the on board charges are pretty high to see the doctor. I had Noro once but that is treated free of charge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I work in the insurance industry and have had a family member use the medical center at midnight with an undiagnosed kidney stone. Yes, most insurance plans will cover but at the out of network level. You also must pay Carnival at time of service. One other thing to note - if you seek service after hours there is typically only a nurse on call. I verified at the time that the doctor on call was an employee and not a passenger and had to basically demand that the nurse wake him and have him personally attend to my sister who was in so much pain. She did reluctantly so stand your ground if you have a late emergency! BTW he didn't diagnose it either lol!

I'm allergic to the same antibiotics as you, and carry an Epi Pen because the allergy is so severe.

I always take an emergency pack of meds that I know are safe for me to take that I get from my doc before travel.

I can understand your concern, I'd be the same, so perhaps you could see if your doc will prescribe before your trip?

I've heard the on board charges are pretty high to see the doctor. I had Noro once but that is treated free of charge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Both hubs and I carry EPI's for allergies. Just call my doctor pre-travel and either get script or some samples from them. Our health insurance DOES NOT cover us outside states, why we do a separate trip plan that does.

In Feb 2015 I had a very bad Kidney Stone attack and UTI to boot while on RCI Explorer Of the Seas. It happened in the middle of the night and they were absolutely fantastic! Hubby called the medical center before we went down and a nurse was waiting for us when we got there and a Doctor shortly after. They did an IV with IV antibiotics and pain meds. They then sent us back to our room with antibiotics and pain meds in pull form as well. I was back to the medical center a couple of times over the course of 2 days and they also made special plans for a customs officer to come and let us off the ship from the medical center and arranged a cab to the hospital in Miami from a special area. Our total bill for the ship medical center was around $700, which we had to pay and then submit to our travel insurance to be reimbursed. We felt that was more than fair for the care I received. I also have some antibiotic allergies (Cipro) and they had many other kinds available.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

I was treated for a herpes viral eye ulcer aboard a the Caribbean Princess. The doctor was great; had the three meds I needed and called to check in me two or three times as followup. I was out $130--a bargain. Come to think of it I don't think I ever filled a claim with my travel or health insurance. They provided all the paperwork I needed to make the claim and to pass on to my regular MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

PS,,never do I regret reading these medical reminders...heaven forbid but as we age a few more issues always and when we travel once and a while we can get a different bite or water accident or I swear somehow having fun sometimes just a rash releases..a virus we all carrey many and something when we let go can kind of cleanse out of us....had a horrible rash on beach once and hotel took me to ER..I was on fire until I got a anti-itch med. Nice to be reminded of getting the primary when traveling type...and not have to wait for the HMO refusal. That they offer this on ships is fantastic..Hotels do not have hotel doctors..it is awesome. I always hear more great stories than bad in terms of helping with fixible on ship issues or stabilization of someone for further serious medical work and an airlift and proper land follow up...always wonderful care of families etc. on ships..good stories far out weigh bad...but do be insured.