Best port to purchase liquor in with revised itinerary?

ugagal07

We are cruising in December and have been re-routed. Previously we were slated to visit St. Thomas and San Juan and I know St. Thomas has great prices and selection, better than the ship. Since they are still rebuilding, we are being sent to Nassau, Freeport, Amber Cove, and Grand Turk.

I realize all ports and the ship will have liquor stores, but price and selection is what I'm looking for. I know I can price match on the ship and all of that. Which port will be my best bet to shop since we aren't going to St. Thomas? Nothing specific, just restock the bar. :)

Be aware ship prices are duty free AND usually have a sale last night. While it may be more money than some store, it will be wrapped and boxed for easier portage. On Princess, last night sales are given to pax to return to room.

The Caribbean ports are better. But if there is something on the cruise that is less at the ports they will price adjust with proof. I did that on my last carnival cruise that went to Grand Turks and amber cove. A bottle of scotch was $25 cheaper and I made sure to get a picture of bottle with the size showing and the shelf tag. The duty free shops were competitive but nothing like St Thomas/St Maarten where you could get better prices and haggle a bit with buying multiple bottles.

One more thing in Grand Turks they randomly give coupons for additional 20% of next purchase. So if you a buying more than one bottle split the order because the next one may be 20% less. They will not let you return or price adjust the one you just bought.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think with so many folks flying to/from a Caribbean cruise out of Fla, and with not being allowed to carry liquids onto the plane cabin, Liquor sales in St Thomas have declined significantly. I remember back when, when several pallets of liquor boxes would be delivered to a ship. Last cruise, maybe half a pallet, and they charged a delivery fee, as well. As sales volume decreased, I saw prices increase. Purchasing in St Thomas is not the "bargain" it once was. We saw on board prices comparable to St Thomas shop prices on our last visit. We also saw liquor prices a better buy in St Martin than St Thomas.