No kids cruise....

Joie

We love Disney and the parks.....but have always cruise other lines. Would we enjoy a Disney cruise without kids enough to spend the extra dollars in comparison to other lines.

What is the attraction IF anything for adults.

Or is mainly that adults enjoy it because the kids are so entertained?

We love Disney and the parks.....but have always cruise other lines. Would we enjoy a Disney cruise without kids enough to spend the extra dollars in comparison to other lines.

What is the attraction IF anything for adults.

Or is mainly that adults enjoy it because the kids are so entertained?

We've taken 9 DCL cruises. All adult-only, well, the youngest was 18 at the time.

As above, entertainment is purely Disney, if you like Disney movies, you'll like the DCL shows.

Plenty of adult-only areas, both onboard and at Castaway Cay (if your cruise stops there).

Often it seems that there are no kids onboard, mostly because the kid's clubs keep them well entertained.

Hubby and I were discussing this very thing last night, but poo poo'd it because of there being a thousand toddlers around. I hadn't thought about kids clubs keeping them entertained!

(its not that I don't like children, its just mine are finally getting to the point where they are off my hands, and I appreciate the peaceful moments.)

I think it might be back on the agenda!

It also depends when you sail. If you sail during the spring break or summer, you will see a lot of kids. But if you travel when they are in school, you will see fewer kids. Regardless, Disney is really good at carving adults only areas.

The ships normally contain about the same number of kids on each cruise, excluding those over 7 nights. What does change is the age mix of the kids. When traditional schools are in session, you'll see fewer school age kids but LOTS of toddlers. Parents of young kids like these less costly cruises! But toddlers/pre-schoolers are rarely an issue as they are either in programming or with their parents. These are NOT the kids who run the ship on their own or get into trouble.

When school is out, you'll see a lot of school age kids..and their siblings. Honestly, these kids are more of an issue as they can come and go on their own. These are the kids who noisily run the halls, traipse thru adult only areas, etc. I KNOW that every reader here knows where their kids are at every minute on the ship, but there are a lot of parents who leave their parenting responsibilities at home when they step onto the plane.

My husband and I enjoy Disney parks and we also like the Disney Dream. It's a four night cruise with a day at sea, a day in Nassau, and a day at the private island, Castaway Cay. It seems to be just the right length. Disney keeps the kids entertained and there is a separate adult only beach on Castaway Cay. We really enjoy the entertainment, the rotation dining, and the family friendly atmosphere onboard.

My husband and I enjoy Disney parks and we also like the Disney Dream. It's a four night cruise with a day at sea, a day in Nassau, and a day at the private island, Castaway Cay. It seems to be just the right length. Disney keeps the kids entertained and there is a separate adult only beach on Castaway Cay. We really enjoy the entertainment, the rotation dining, and the family friendly atmosphere onboard.

The Dream offers primarily 3 and 4 night cruises. OP is considering a 3 night cruise which is really only 2 1/2 days. There is a HUGE difference between a 3 night and a 4 night. And you are quite right, the sea day on the 4 night makes it much better.

As said, the Disney experience is what you are paying for and it typically is excellent. The only fault I give Disney is I hate only having the rotational dining as the main dinner option and the marginal quality food. I wish they had more specialty food venues (that would allow children.)

As said, the Disney experience is what you are paying for and it typically is excellent. The only fault I give Disney is I hate only having the rotational dining as the main dinner option and the marginal quality food. I wish they had more specialty food venues (that would allow children.)

Different opinion here--I see this as one of the best points of DCL. However, I wish they would improve their food....like back to where it was in 1998, perhaps. It seriously used to be much better.

Have you tried eating at the pool deck restaurant for dinner? It is cruise casual, show up any time during the open hours, no reservation, children welcome. The food is MUCH better than the MDRs, service is excellent. It is a sit down with a menu, not a buffet at dinner. And you have a great sunset view. Seriously, I ordered the same entree I'd been disappointed in the night before (I'd liked it in the past.) It was marvelous...likely because they cook it when you order it up there. Not open first or last night of the cruise.

I'd HATE to have my kid nickel and diming me to go to a specialty restaurant!

Ok many people in favor for sure......I was needing to justify the $2000 difference in price from Carnival Dream ( $1600 for balcony) to Disney ( $3600) for the 7 night cruise for 2 of us.........apparently most think it is worth it.

I wish they had a like button on here as I agree with the other posters who said they had a great time on DCL with adults only. Two of my DCL cruises have been adults only and they were wonderful. I love all things Disney so I feel the magic of it, the second I walk onto the ship! Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Hubby and I were discussing this very thing last night, but poo poo'd it because of there being a thousand toddlers around. I hadn't thought about kids clubs keeping them entertained!

(its not that I don't like children, its just mine are finally getting to the point where they are off my hands, and I appreciate the peaceful moments.)

I think it might be back on the agenda!

Hi, it may depend on when you sail, but even though we HAD a little one with us, and were doing kid things, we still saw way fewer kids and way less crazyness that on Carnival (few kids on RCL, but it was mostly old people). When we were off without kid, I didn't notice kids. The adult area was kid free, the pool, coffee area, and such. (bad though, I couldn't get a coffee when i had kid. But the very nice workers would go get my coffee for me! :D )

Hi, it may depend on when you sail, but even though we HAD a little one with us, and were doing kid things, we still saw way fewer kids and way less crazyness that on Carnival (few kids on RCL, but it was mostly old people). When we were off without kid, I didn't notice kids. The adult area was kid free, the pool, coffee area, and such. (bad though, I couldn't get a coffee when i had kid. But the very nice workers would go get my coffee for me! :D )

On the Dream and Fantasy, the Vista Cafe is located in a family area and has the same coffee and snacks as the Cove Cafe. On the Magic and Wonder, you are right--Cove Cafe is in a "no kid" area and I wish all parents were as conscientious as you are.

I do wish that kids (and their parents) would quit using the adult only areas as a walk-thru. However, that won't happen unless DCL decides to enforce it, and they won't. For a short time, they made the starboard side a walk-thru (as in Port side is not), but parents complained about their snowflakes walking thru the smoking area. Sorry, the option is always there to walk thru on another deck!

opposing view .... well sort of ....

first, I've done Disney 7 times so I'm not talking out my ear; 3 DCLs as single parent with 2 kids under 13 ... as young as 5. Son honeymooned on Disney (Med cruise) and he and wife go back every year with no kids ... they love it. She is a DISNEY NUT, he's close ..... they don't gamble or drink. They've sailed RCL a couple of times and in their opinion it is not where they choose to spend their money. they also hear all the different cruises mom and dad take . . . and prefer to be Mickey'd

Would we enjoy a Disney cruise without kids enough to spend the extra dollars in comparison to other lines.

{I'm discussing from a Disney with no kids point of view ... versus parents enjoying adult time while the kids are VERY entertained, which DCL does VERY well. My single parent trips attest to that!}

If you like Disney stuff, yes probably you will

BUT you could also find very very nice cruises in that same price bracket that are different, & without paying the MOUSE factor put some of the 'premium' into more adult factors. For the same money we've done WINDSTAR, CUNARD and River Cruises ..... food better, service as good or better, staff to passenger ratio MUCH BETTER *this is where you REALLY notice service*

DCL does do a decent job of maintaining an adult area ... decent. On the other hand restricting yourself to the adult areas means you are using about 20% of the area of the ship to avoid kids .... and you CAN'T totally avoid kids .... especially when it comes to dining. The other 3 examples I mentioned: well CUNARD does have a kids program but the few kids we've seen still dressed for dinner ... the other two don't proscribe kids but they strongly discourage and say they make no special provisions for kids ....

Eating in the speciality rest's to avoid kids adds more to the price and at least last time I sailed DCL, not a realistic option as you were limited in the number of ressies you could make (altho I have eaten in PALO's multiple times on a cruise ... they were never booked solid IME and I just signed up 'standby' and always got in)

Disney shows ARE GREAT ... but they don't change very often so after you've been a time or two . . . even the late nite adult entertainment is 'Disney friendly' and btw, IME even the adult areas tend to be nighty-nite by midnight ... IF you are a night owl.

DCL has wisely filled a gap in the cruise industry, premium family cruise, while also redefining what family cruise means (look how RCL, CARN, and NCL and even PRINCESS have changed their 'family programs' since DCL came around . . .) BUT if looking for a cruise and willing to pay PREMIUM price, the MOUSE is not your only option and premium family is very different from premium IMO.

Just sayin'

(our most recent cruise vacation was 8 days on the DANUBE then back to the US, Hamburg to NY on QM2)

Greetings Disney Fans. The wife and I would like to try Disney ourselves but would need to go by ourselves at least at first. I have sailed Cruise West in the 80's and Princess this year. We very much look forward to trying Royal Caribbean and Disney soon.

We don't have kids and we are doing our 3rd Disney cruise in two weeks.

Everyone always asks me "oh a Disney cruise, isn't there too many kids?"

We spend most of our time on the adult decks.There were days that we barely saw children. We also enjoy that there is adult areas, but there isn't a wild party scene.

There are definitely lots of ways to enjoy a Disney cruise as an adult.

So as I hear it explained her then paying a extra $2000 premium doesn't bother anyone....you all feel that the money is recovered by a better cruise.

I hope that is true if we spend that kind of money :)

We've done Disney cruise and also Royal. Disney was with our kids and extended family. I know every is different,but I never understood why anyone would do a Disney cruise without kids. The ship is great, but it is geared to kids from entertainment to activities. When our kids were in the club, Dh and I were bored. And Disney is so much more as you're paying for the name. I am Disney biased as we had the best vacation last fall in Disney World, but for a cruise without kids, I'd pick Royal or another. ...but everyone is different

The whole vibe on a cruise line like Windstar is different. It's sophisticated. The entertainment and shore excursions and even the ports are provided with adults-not children or families--in mind. The menus, the cabins, even the boarding process is done without any sort of consideration for children. They won't even accept bookings for kids under eight or 12 depending on the sailing.

From the very start, it is lovely. You board and head to the main salon where you are greeted with a glass of a champagne and some paperwork. You find a table (plenty of space, no overcrowding) and fill out the forms. Then take them to a table, get your photo taken and room key handed to you. You go to your room which is ready and drop your carry ins. Your luggage is probably already there. From that point you explore the ship and stop to have some lunch. Plenty of tables, no worries about not having a place to sit.

You head to muster which is held in the main salon. Everyone is seated in groups, there is no standing in the heat. The entire process takes about five minutes and then you meet the captain.

Then you are off to do what you wish for a few hours until they begin serving dinner.

No lines. No kids in the hot tub or at the adjoining table having a melt down. Quiet. Serene. Never a problem finding a chair near the pool.

I can sail Windstar in the Caribbean for the same as DCL and go to far more interesting ports. I can sail the Med for a lot less and get into small ports that the larger ships can't even consider. There is something to be said for being in a small port with one other small ship for a total of maybe 500 passengers between them, and pulling into a larger port an hour from the sites and waiting for an hour to take a train or bus and then cutting my visit short to be sure I can get back to the ship in time.

To me, it's a question of how you feel when you first walk into the main gate of DL or WDW. I feel immediately joyful, happily childlike and have thoroughly loved 2 DCL trips and I'm in my sixties. We were able to find great prices so didn't cost an extra thousand but was slightly more than others. One trip was West Coast and one was Panama Canal a few years ago in May. The canal trip had less than 30% kids on board because it was 2 weeks long and during the school year. Our dining mates were 2 couples without kids, I was traveling with a high school friend, my DH isn't as thrilled with Disney as I am. The photo ops, character visits, entertainment and cleanliness were better than the other 3 brands of cruises I've done. Although I have not paid attention to other cruise lines' kids program, DCL's was outstanding and each featured speaker had special kid friendly lectures. I'd encourage any Disney fan to try DCL. However, if you're looking for elegance it may cost you even more, the only 2 elegant events were a Disney princess tea aimed at young girls but we went anyway and the formal nights. I usually appreciate the on board experience more than the ports, again it all depends on what your criteria is for a great cruise. Good luck in whatever choice you make.