advice for a new -to-HAL cruiser on Zuiderdam?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:28 PM.
nebraska
561 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Okay so the banner with the FLASHSALE sucked me in!
We have cruised Oceania 9 times, and thought about trying HAL next.
We are booked SZ on Zuiderdam for November 26th and are seeking input and advice from all of you experienced HAL sailors.
What do we need to know?
Where did you have your favorite meal?
Any advice about this ship?
Any hints about hidden gems on the winelists?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oceania sailed Marina April 2012
Oceania sailed Riviera Athens to Rome October 2012

Sailed Marina 6-11-2013 Scandinavian Serenade
Sailed Marina NY to Dover 5-22-2014
Sailed Riviera European Mosaic July 5-July 19 2014
Sailed Riviera Barcelona Venice 10-23-15 50th Birthday
Sailed Marina Lisbon to London 6-2-2016

Sailed Celebrity Summit San Juan to San Juan November 27th 2016
Sailed Marina Lisbon to Rome May 2017

Tennessee
40 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Welcome, we are on the same cruise it seems. I am excited as the Zuiderdam will be fairly fresh out of dry dock with all of the new upgrades. We have not been on the Zuiderdam but on two of it's sister ships (Westerdam & Oosterdam) & really like them. We think all the food is good but we aren't picky. Do a dinner in the Pinnacle grille. Walk the promenade, go up to the Crows Nest (although it will be called something different by then) and just enjoy!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Higntn
Orange County, CA, USA
2,106 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Have not yet sailed on a Vista class ship, but HAL tips from me are: Canaletto is better than you might think -- and we don't even eat pasta! -- and in the MDR, the crumbles (or whatever they are called) are almost always my favorite dessert, although I'm not sure the form translates well to tropical fruit. Berries, apples, or stone-fruit tho', are yummy!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Discovery Bay, CA
127 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
I will be on the Zuiderdam on Sept 30th, New York to Quebec. Will post after cruise. Have been on the Oosterdam and Westerdam in Alaska and enjoyed them both. You are lucky to be sailing right after the refurbishment!!!

Cathy
The Third Coast - Nashville
7,874 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by crystalspin
Have not yet sailed on a Vista class ship, but HAL tips from me are: Canaletto is better than you might think -- and we don't even eat pasta! -- and in the MDR, the crumbles (or whatever they are called) are almost always my favorite dessert, although I'm not sure the form translates well to tropical fruit. Berries, apples, or stone-fruit tho', are yummy!
I think they're called crisps - apple crisp, cherry crisp, etc..

Roz
FORT LAUDERDALE, FL
424 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
In my opinion HAL is definitely a step down from Oceania. However, you will enjoy your Neptune suite and the Neptune lounge. You may also lose a little weight. Food is so so, but much better in the Pinnacle Grill.
5,476 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by dag144
In my opinion HAL is definitely a step down from Oceania. However, you will enjoy your Neptune suite and the Neptune lounge. You may also lose a little weight. Food is so so, but much better in the Pinnacle Grill.
SZ is a signature suite, not a neptune suite. No Neptune Lounge access.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
rktctysooner at gmail dot com
nebraska
561 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
We sailed Celebrity and it was a step down for the quality of food vs Oceania. The Blu restaurant was good, but the buffett not so much. The crew were friendly as were our shipmates. We had a wonderful time. We want to branch-out and try other lines. If we look for good fares on different lines we can cruise more often. (never a bad thing)
We are looking forward to sailing on HAL for the 1st time. It is my brother's favorite cruiseline and he has sailed this ship and ports. He has wanted us to try HAL for years. He loves having the same waiter nightly which doesn't happen on Oceania.
We will book a few nights in the specialty restaurants and take an upsell to Neptune if offered.
The price dropped $200/person right after we booked and HAL adjusted the price for us. We are very happy with the precruise customer service!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oceania sailed Marina April 2012
Oceania sailed Riviera Athens to Rome October 2012

Sailed Marina 6-11-2013 Scandinavian Serenade
Sailed Marina NY to Dover 5-22-2014
Sailed Riviera European Mosaic July 5-July 19 2014
Sailed Riviera Barcelona Venice 10-23-15 50th Birthday
Sailed Marina Lisbon to London 6-2-2016

Sailed Celebrity Summit San Juan to San Juan November 27th 2016
Sailed Marina Lisbon to Rome May 2017

3 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
I was wondering if there are any activities such as the following onboard the Zuiderdam as well. I know they have a swimming, volleyball, and basketball court, but do they have any of the following active game opportunities for adults?
PingPong
Shuffleboard
Bocce ball
Miniature golf
etc.

I can't find any mention of these things, which may suggest they do not have them.
Australia
1,252 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
There are table tennis tables near the Lido Pool.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Strath

HAL Ms Zuiderdam Alaska 05/25/2013
Scenic Jade - Jewels of Europe 09/17/2014
Scenic Gem - Gems of the Seine 10/06/2014
Scenic Emerald - South of France 10/19/2014
HAL Ms Zuiderdam Mediterranean 04/14/2015
HAL Ms Noordam Aust/NZ 03/25/2016
3 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by Stratheden
There are table tennis tables near the Lido Pool.
Good to know, and thank you for responding, much appreciated. I will likely take advantage of it on my upcoming PC cruise.