2nd post .... and plans have begun !

gazpacho

Thanks everyone who posted advice to the questions I asked earlier this week in my first post here.

We have decided that the cruise we are seriously looking at for our first ever 14 nights at sea will be aboard the TIU Marella Dream on the Mediterranean Medley followed by Treasures of the Mediterranean cruise in Sept or Oct 2018.

Price is currently coming in at £2894 for the two of us, full board (which includes a £586 discount, return flights and all gratuities and charges). We are also considering a balcony upgrade at £1121.

For now my only question is if this price is what I should expect to pay. Could it come down at Xmas if TUI have a sale ? what is the general rule as to when the best price is available to book a cruise ?

Thanks

John

Edited by gazpacho

In the end if a price stays the same, goes down or even increase is based on supply and demand.

I continue to believe in booking early as the lowest price rooms go first as do rooms that are optimally located in each category.

If the price dow come down I would just followup.

But for me we would book it.

Keith

So a if you have a balcony you will be paying around £4000 for a cruise on a ship over 30years old. I know age is not everything, but that seems a lot of money for a ship that does not have the amenities of the newer cruise liners. Have you read all the various reviews - the shop seems to back a bit like marmite - love it or hate it!

If, after reading the reviews you are happy, book it, especially if you want a balcony, as there are not many balcony cabins available.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your responses. The review on here was quite positive and the ship went through a refurb a few years back. I think we want a more laid back/casual approach for our first cruise and are not really into formal. This seemed to tick most boxes we are looking for .... maybe we should have another look around. The Med cruise (Spain/ Monaco/Italy) is the definite route we want and have settled on Sept/Oct

Not familiar with that ship or cruise line. I think most posters on these boards are more familiar with the mainstream cruise lines, such as Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, NCL, Royal Caribbean and many of their subsidiary lines.

If you are happy that's what counts. The newer ships usually have more amenities; refurbishing doesn't usually change the actual layout/size of rooms, etc.

Not familiar with that ship or cruise line. I think most posters on these boards are more familiar with the mainstream cruise lines, such as Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, NCL, Royal Caribbean and many of their subsidiary lines.

If you are happy that's what counts. The newer ships usually have more amenities; refurbishing doesn't usually change the actual layout/size of rooms, etc.

Its part of the Thompson (tui) fleet of cruise ships. Whether they have enough to be counted as a "fleet" I am not so sure !

Thanks for your responses. The review on here was quite positive and the ship went through a refurb a few years back. I think we want a more laid back/casual approach for our first cruise and are not really into formal. This seemed to tick most boxes we are looking for .... maybe we should have another look around. The Med cruise (Spain/ Monaco/Italy) is the definite route we want and have settled on Sept/Oct
There are 933 reviews of this ship on cruise critic. Make sure you read the most recent 12 or so, in order to get a rounded view.

We think that £100 per day is a reasonable amount to pay, especially with the included air and shuttle transport. Yes, the prices may fall, but that's the gamble we all have to take.

Thomson/Tui are part of RCI, and are very popular- we've been with them once, and would return, because of the ease of transport, the amazing staff who don't try to please you for the tips, which are included, the itineraries and the good entertainment on board.

Just being able to stay on board until your coach arrives for the flight is a massive plus!

We think that £100 per day is a reasonable amount to pay, especially with the included air and shuttle transport. Yes, the prices may fall, but that's the gamble we all have to take.

Thomson/Tui are part of RCI, and are very popular- we've been with them once, and would return, because of the ease of transport, the amazing staff who don't try to please you for the tips, which are included, the itineraries and the good entertainment on board.

Just being able to stay on board until your coach arrives for the flight is a massive plus!

Sorry - what has TUI got to do with RCI ?

There are 933 reviews of this ship on cruise critic. Make sure you read the most recent 12 or so, in order to get a rounded view.

There are positive and negative reviews ...... would be better if they were all one sided. For the price I am happy with and the ports of call, I dont think another operator can match TUI.

Thanks for that, much appreciated

I am a firm believer that if you want a balcony -- book it now.

It will be up to you to keep track of the prices. If you see it go down, call your TA and have him/her call the cruise line and get the lower price. If they won't give you the lower price, than have your TA ask for some shipboard credit.

I am a firm believer that if you want a balcony -- book it now.

It will be up to you to keep track of the prices. If you see it go down, call your TA and have him/her call the cruise line and get the lower price. If they won't give you the lower price, than have your TA ask for some shipboard credit.

In the UK I think you will find that this is not possible, but I stand to be corrected.

Royal Caribbean International is commonly referred to as RCI in the UK. It's the name on every piece of literature I've had from the firm, and RCI is used on my other forums as a matter of course- except for this one.

I believe what posters are saying is that Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is a corporation that owns Royal Caribbean cruise lines, just like they own Celebrity and Azmara. TUI is German company that has cruise ships and other vacations. TUI is owned by RCI. Royal Caribbean cruise lines has sold old ships to TUI.

Here on these boards we think of RC as being just the cruise line and identity RC ships. Helps separate Celebrity and Azmara and RC ships.

No different than Carnival owns Cunard and Princess.

I am assuming that's what the OP and others mean; that's how I interpreted it.

I believe what posters are saying is that Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is a corporation that owns Royal Caribbean cruise lines, just like they own Celebrity and Azmara. TUI is German company that has cruise ships and other vacations. TUI is owned by RCI. Royal Caribbean cruise lines has sold old ships to TUI.

Here on these boards we think of RC as being just the cruise line and identity RC ships. Helps separate Celebrity and Azmara and RC ships.

No different than Carnival owns Cunard and Princess.

I am assuming that's what the OP and others mean; that's how I interpreted it.

RCI own 50 % of TUI cruises (now called Marella). However, the TUI holiday group is totally independent.