Posh v Prudent

Silver Spectre

Interesting article in the Sunday Times yesterday comparing The Muse (Posh) versus CMV's Columbus (Prudent - one of P&O's 30 year old ships).

The standout comment on the Muse was 'Its sleek and elegant, if a bit safe - apart from a bonkers collection of contemporary Italian art that had a few eyebrows raised'.

The writer enjoyed the Muse food apart from being stung £45 for the teppanyaki or for La Dame, and believed that Indochine was too mild, 'with the spice levels toned right down to cater for US guests'. However, CMV's Fusion Indian, with a £14.90 cover charge, 'my thali was the real thing' and their Grill, with a £24.90 cover charge 'the rack of lamb blew Silver Muse's dishes out of the water', seemed to have hit the spot with the writer when it came to paying extra.

For what its worth the writer did feel that if one had the money and wanted luxury then the Silver Muse wouldn't disappoint.

From my point of view the biggest disappointment on the Muse apart from the well covered dining arrangements was the awful blandness of the menu and food in Indochine. To me this is the sort of fusion food that was prevalent in the smarter London boroughs in the 90's and luckily has since mostly died out.

Yes Silver Spectre, I am inclined to agree.

The original concept of Indochine as laid out by Rudi initially, was for the wait staff to have an indepth knowledge of all the dishes on offer and to explain to each passenger exactly the degree of "heat" . This is not happening and the wait staff need further training.

I do not recall you complaining about the spiciness of the sweet and sour soup during your last meal in Indochine - an Eileen cooked to order special!!

I feel this is the most unappreciated dining venue on the Muse which it doesnt deserve. I will say that Mr Sunday Times may have a point, the food in this restaurant was infinitely more "hot" on the inaugural cruise in April, than we experienced this time, and suspect American tastes may have had some bearing.

Love to Mrs Spectre and hope you have settled back gently to "shoreside" life.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Yes Silver Spectre, I am inclined to agree.

The original concept of Indochine as laid out by Rudi initially, was for the wait staff to have an indepth knowledge of all the dishes on offer and to explain to each passenger exactly the degree of "heat" . This is not happening and the wait staff need further training.

I do not recall you complaining about the spiciness of the sweet and sour soup during your last meal in Indochine - an Eileen cooked to order special!!

I feel this is the most unappreciated dining venue on the Muse which it doesnt deserve. I will say that Mr Sunday Times may have a point, the food in this restaurant was infinitely more "hot" on the inaugural cruise in April, than we experienced this time, and suspect American tastes may have had some bearing.

Love to Mrs Spectre and hope you have settled back gently to "shoreside" life.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

The final night meal was the exception!

We are back to normal, Bridge on Tuesdays and finally paid the deposit for the double segment on the 2019 WC today. Still waiting for a suite though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One evening in Indochine, I requested that my main course be prepared 'hot'. They brought me a side of chili flakes! The

Filipino soup was indeed 'hot' although a few years ago, Grant prepared a soup that tested the limits of my taste buds and many others at the table could not tolerate it. It will be interesting to see how the Muse restaurants morph over time. I do hope they address the issue of a lack of variety on the menus especially for longer cruises.

It was great traveling with you both! We look forward to the next time.