Riverboats for gentle walkers?

E316

AMA does a great job with "gentle walkers". My mom used to travel with us and we would participate in the fast walker tours while she enjoyed the gentle group. They made special accommodations not only with pace but will small vans to get passengers with lower mobility right to the center of things.

I think ALL river cruise lines I've read of here will have gentle walkers groups. I was on Avalon and they do as well. That said - depending on the extent of your mobility concerns, certain itineraries are going to be better or worse as well - and that's been discussed on this board as well (search is in the upper right of the threads on the front page ;-)

The only line that I have traveled with for river cruising that does not offer a gentle walker's group is Grand Circle. From personal experience, AMA offered the best deal. They arranged for van transportation to the top of the hill where the Melk Abbey is located, a choo choo train ride through the vineyards on one of the very hilly towns, etc. There were about 8 people who were physically challenged on our last trip with AMA and they didn't miss anything.

Edited by H2Otstr

We are on the Viking Rhine cruise and would not recommend the tours for gentle walkers. Each day it’s 3 blocks to the buses and about that back to the ship due to parking issues. The tours are 2 -3 hours of walking standing even if on flat ground. And this boat is very long!