tipping questions

claudelily

My husband and I leave for our first cruise tomorrow and we are beyond excited! We have prepaid our tips for the cruise, but need some guidance on additional tipping. We have a land tour prior to the cruise, do we tip bus drivers? Amount? We know to tip housekeeping at the hotels, anyone else that typically gets tipped? What about additional tipping on board the ship? general amounts? Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

We don't generally tip for a bus ride..I mean, that's what you paid for. If they help with bags, then a couple bucks is nice. If you have a guide, then tip for that!! Yes...you tip housekeepers in hotels...we do $5-7 a day.

On the ship, you are charged gratuities on a daily basis that cover your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't. waiters and head waiter. Room service is NOT covered by the gratuities, so tip $2-5 depending on the size of your order...do that at time of delivery.

Bar bills have tip added to it..typically 18%. I feel that's ample for opening a beer or a simple drink. If you are frequenting one particular bartender, then an additional tip on the last evening is nice.

Pier baggage handlers should be tipped separately. IMO typically $1 - $2 per bag would be good. On board, your prepaid gratuities are apportioned between your stateroom attendant(s) and dining waitstaff. Any additional you wish to add at your discretion would be up to you, but this is not necessary. Head waiter and maitre d would be additional at your option. The amount IMO depends on how visible they are to you during the meal service. Depending on cruise line, room service during regular service hours may not contain a tip with delivery and a couple of dollars there would be appropriate, depending on your order.

If you have access to any of the private suite lounges, the bartenders and Concierge there are not included in the prepaid gratuities and should be taken care of separately. Our rule of thumb is about $1 per drink for the lounge bartenders and a separate amount for the Concierge based on any services provided or interaction with you during the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

If your talking a guided tour with a driver. Most people will tip driver & guide. Porters at terminal $2 per bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Remember that I did not start this thread.

However, porters are overpaid union longshoremen who only get tipped because they either threaten people or people are convinced that their luggage will end up in the water if they are not tipped to carry your luggage 5 feet to the luggage carts.

The people who do much of the luggage moving are the low wage crew members who bring your luggage to your cabin.

DON

However, porters are overpaid union longshoremen who only get tipped because they either threaten people or people are convinced that their luggage will end up in the water if they are not tipped to carry your luggage 5 feet to the luggage carts.

The people who do much of the luggage moving are the low wage crew members who bring your luggage to your cabin.

DON

Porters are the lowest category dock workers who work part time and handle the luggage until it reaches the ship. Crew does not touch luggage until it is onboard.

Porters are the lowest category dock workers who work part time and handle the luggage until it reaches the ship. Crew does not touch luggage until it is onboard.

They chose a lower wage part time job as a profession. I do not feel that I should have to subsidize a poor career choice. As I said, the crew does a lot more work on getting your luggage to you than the dock workers. I am more than happy to tip the crew generously.

Also, let's do the math. If you tip the porter $2 per bag and you have 2 bags,that means that they are getting $4.00 from you. It oily takes them a few minutes to move your 2 bags onto the luggage cart so let's assume that they can a bag transfer every 6 minutes although they are probably faster than that. That means that they do 10 sets of bags per hour which means that they are making $40.00 per hour when they are working.

The fact that they are only working for a few hours and only when a ship is in port is irrelevant as that was the career choice that they made. When they are working, they make $40.00 hour. How many of you make $40 per hour?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

They chose a lower wage part time job as a profession. I do not feel that I should have to subsidize a poor career choice. As I said, the crew does a lot more work on getting your luggage to you than the dock workers. I am more than happy to tip the crew generously.

Also, let's do the math. If you tip the porter $2 per bag and you have 2 bags,that means that they are getting $4.00 from you. It oily takes them a few minutes to move your 2 bags onto the luggage cart so let's assume that they can a bag transfer every 6 minutes although they are probably faster than that. That means that they do 10 sets of bags per hour which means that they are making $40.00 per hour when they are working.

The fact that they are only working for a few hours and only when a ship is in port is irrelevant as that was the career choice that they made. When they are working, they make $40.00 hour. How many of you make $40 per hour?

DON

I guess if you are making less than $40 an hour, maybe you can get a job hauling luggage? I can't imagine not tipping porters, the same way I can't imagine not tipping servers (dd20 makes a solid $100 a night waitressing, 3 shifts a week, which pays her share of the rent at college).

DON

Couldn't agree with you more - they busted my mother-in-law's wheel chair because we did not tip enough - if there was one part of the cruise experience I could change it would be to change the luggage procedures...

We don't generally tip for a bus ride..I mean, that's what you paid for. If they help with bags, then a couple bucks is nice. If you have a guide, then tip for that!! Yes...you tip housekeepers in hotels...we do $5-7 a day.

On the ship, you are charged gratuities on a daily basis that cover your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't. waiters and head waiter. Room service is NOT covered by the gratuities, so tip $2-5 depending on the size of your order...do that at time of delivery.

Bar bills have tip added to it..typically 18%. I feel that's ample for opening a beer or a simple drink. If you are frequenting one particular bartender, then an additional tip on the last evening is nice.

Funny (to me anyway) you say

We don't generally tip for a bus ride..I mean, that's what you paid for.

But then I believe I've paid for all those other things you say you do tip for.

I think to many from non tipping parts the strangest thing of all is the ones that font get tips.

They chose a lower wage part time job as a profession. I do not feel that I should have to subsidize a poor career choice.

DON

Can someone explain how the same doesn't apply to waiters etc on land.

Leaving on RC Radiance of the Seas June 16 after flying into Vancouver the day before. I am also worried about the extra tipping. We also have all our gratuities added into what we have paid, but I heard that if you tip your room steward extra at the beginning you are assured of great service. We are new to this so checking out all of your good advice!

Leaving on RC Radiance of the Seas June 16 after flying into Vancouver the day before. I am also worried about the extra tipping. We also have all our gratuities added into what we have paid, but I heard that if you tip your room steward extra at the beginning you are assured of great service. We are new to this so checking out all of your good advice!

You will probably get a bunch of replies on this question. 50% will say that tipping your steward in advance gets you better service. 50% say that it has no effect.

Believe whichever half you want to believe. BTW - I am in the 2nd group.

DON

Thanks so much, Don. Do you know if each room usually has the same steward throughout the cruise? That will make a difference too,I am sure. Sorry, to be a cruise dummy but what do you mean by the 2nd group?

Kay

To be frank, if you or anyone in your stateroom are high maintenance, a PITA, or naturally offensive to others, tipping a couple bucks on first day WITH your list of requests can smooth your way. And yes, you will have the same two stewards throughout your cruise. They are assigned to your stateroom. They prepare it for your arrival, set up any of your FunShop preboarding purchases and service it daily.

If you are an average, pleasant person, traveling with similar folks with no outrageous or consistent demands then tipping first day is really generous but not necessary.

We are pretty self-sufficient. We don't have special requests and our cabin stays completely tidy and organized, but we've never had a steward who wasn't fabulous and we always tip generously. We recognize the hard work they do and the long hours they work while smiling and trying to make our vacation special. I give the additional tip at the end of the cruise on our last morning. I also tip the porters on the dock. I'm pretty sure "luggage porter" is not a "career choice." I'm grateful to be handing them my luggage rather than being a luggage handler. I've volunteered at schools for years and not once have I heard a student say when they grow up, they want to handle luggage or to be a porter or a steward. It's a job they take to support their family. I had an Uncle who handled the luggage for Eastern Airline MANY years ago. The toll it took on his body led to much suffering later in life. Don't get me wrong. He was grateful for the job...JOB...not career choice. He didn't have much education but he was willing to work hard. Same as the porters, same as the stewards, so I don't ever look down on them or begrudge them a few dollars. It's a personal choice.

Thanks so much, Don. Do you know if each room usually has the same steward throughout the cruise? That will make a difference too,I am sure. Sorry, to be a cruise dummy but what do you mean by the 2nd group?

Kay

You will have the same steward for the entire cruise. What I meant was that have the people believe that giving the steward a tip when they board gets them better service; half the people believe that you get good service regardless. I belong to the "do not tip at the start of the cruise" group.

DON

I guess if you are making less than $40 an hour, maybe you can get a job hauling luggage? I can't imagine not tipping porters, the same way I can't imagine not tipping servers (dd20 makes a solid $100 a night waitressing, 3 shifts a week, which pays her share of the rent at college).

My 16yo came home with $100 last Saturday. Babysitting from 6pm to 12:30 am

In a typical week her babysitting income hovers around $175 for 2 gigs

Best job around and my 21yo college kid does it too only she babysits much more often and easily $300 a week. It's great income and for the most part all the littles are great too.

We are very fortunate to live in a great family town where $ 15 to $20 per hour is the norm for hs and college sitters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL, Elaine 5715, neither my husband nor I are high maintenance or naturally offensive to others!!! That is hilarious, but no we really will not even require much from our steward unless I start craving something at bedtime and do not want to put makeup on to go out and get it! ha Honestly I was worried because I haven't been on anything but a very short cruise years ago and my husband never has been on one. He is a fairly big tipper if he likes the service, but when he mentioned handing the Steward $50 at the beginning, I was a little scared of that and thought I would find out what the norm was!

LOL, Elaine 5715, neither my husband nor I are high maintenance or naturally offensive to others!!! That is hilarious, but no we really will not even require much from our steward unless I start craving something at bedtime and do not want to put makeup on to go out and get it! ha Honestly I was worried because I haven't been on anything but a very short cruise years ago and my husband never has been on one. He is a fairly big tipper if he likes the service, but when he mentioned handing the Steward $50 at the beginning, I was a little scared of that and thought I would find out what the norm was!

I don't think your cabin steward is going to bring you tasty treats, that's what husbands are for.