Eclipse to the Azores in a RS wearing a big boot!

chemmo

Can not sleep another wink! We should be on board in 4 hours!

Really looking forward to cruising again having spent the Summer following everyone else's adventures on CC whilst recovering from a foot op. Hence the 'big boot ' in the title. Still on crutches and needing a wheelchair at times but who cares! I will look really glamorous on evening chic nights in my little cocktail dress, a dainty shoe on one foot and an enormous boot on the other!

We have spent the last couple of days in the New Forest staying in a 15 th century English pub. Quite magical. We have even had sunshine! The boat show is on in Southampton so we will leave in plenty of time to board early.

The cruise to us this time is less about destinations and more about enjoying a little pampering. We cruised Eclipse in May to the Fjords in the PH, this time we return in our usual cabin choice of RS.

Happy to answer any questions as the cruise goes on about the Eclipse, the Suite Life, RS and how well the RS works for someone with mobility issues.

Can I take this opportunity to thank all those who have posted their adventures during the Summer....reading about places we have visited or wish to visit in the future has really kept me looking forward to boarding again!

I guess I had better finish my last bit of packing....

I've done several cruises in a big boot. If you can rent a mobility (electric) scooter you will have a better time. You must order one prior to sailing, they don't have them on board, the X website has a link to accessibility at sea. No one has to push you & your foot won't swell as much. I brought palazzo pants to wear for Chic nights, couldn't bear any weight on my foot at all, so bejeweled a pair of crutches [emoji849]to stand. Good luck, we had a blast

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sincere thanks to all for your good wishes.

Our trip from the New Forest was easy. We were soon parked up and boarding...

Michael's was heaving, never seen it so busy at embarkation. We enjoyed our usual champagne and met with John the concierge before heading to Luminae for lunch. We have learned from previous cruises to choose one item only or you have no chance of enjoying an evening meal....

So nice to be met as 'old friends' by so many crew members!

The weather was amazingly Summery as we left Southampton...so nice to be able to enjoy the sun as we sailed away. British football was being shown on the TV so better half and son were in and out of the cabin trying to catching sail away and goals!

We dined at Tuscan at 6pm....So nice to watch England begin to fade away into the distance. Service excellent as was the food. Could not ask for more!

Last drink in Michael's (now just pleasantly busy) before heading back to the suite...We enjoyed a last few minutes on the balcony before enjoying a good sleep.

As we have found on recent cruises some, but not all, our precruise requests have made it to the ship. Not an issue our butler and room attendant were on the job in minutes and all was sorted! System still not as efficient as when you had direct email contact with the onboard concierge.

Today we have breakfasted in Luminae.....I think lunch will be skipped! There really is only so much food one can enjoy in a day! Tonight we dine in Murano's. We have requested copies of the Luminae menus for the cruise so we can then pick the days we fancy their menus and book into the speciality restaurants the other evenings.

Wendychoecruiser and awhfy, what a great ideas for the boot and crutches!..I am afraid I have gone down the 'lets try to hide it' routine by choosing longer skirts this cruise. I had put a couple of dressy pairs of trousers to pack to hide the boot until I realised they would not go over it!

Goryjm I don't have the expertise to post the dailies, sorry....I have already had to get my better half to go down to Guest Relations as I had somehow managed to mess up my password....

Sue (project gal), happy to report that despite thoroughly enjoying the decadence of the PH last cruise we still find the RS very nice....in some ways the RS probably suits us better this cruise...I think I would have been exhausted just hopping on my crutches from my bed to the toilet and back in the PH!

Sincere thanks again to all for their good wishes! About to take a turn of the deck and see how busy the Solarium is...

Hope you enjoy your cruise. We are due to enjoy the same RS experience in two cruises time so I am looking forward to your updates.

Can I ask how far in advance you had contact regarding your pre-cruise preferences.

Would also be interested to know who the Captain is this cruise and the Luminae maitre d' presently is.

Enjoy your day at sea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat on the balcony in beautiful sunshine in La Coruna. We are watching the fishing boats return each with a perfect halo of seagulls surrounding it!

Foggy Cruiser, I think it was about a week before cruising we were contacted. Amazing we were as it was as the point Miami was closed owing to Irma....we were not going to chase if no phone call had been received, we thought Celebrity would have had greater concerns than our bar set up!

Captain Leo is presently on board. We met him at the Michael's Club officers event last night having previously dined with him on the Summit a good few years ago now. Love his sense of humour and listen out for his morning announcements.

This cruise was booked for the rest and pampering rather than the itinerary.....we are being thoroughly spoilt. The message from all staff is if we can do anything for you just ask! I do sometimes enjoy a specific Sherry pre dinner which Michael's does not usually stock, needless to say it was there and ready for me last night! It is those 'attention to detail' little things that make Michael's so special. Our meal in Murano's last night could not be faulted....perfect service at our preferred table and wonderful food. Tonight we dine in Luminae.

We again found it warm enough with a light jacket on to star gaze from the balcony late evening....

Our only negative so far has been at the Mast Grill yesterday lunch where chair hogging by non diners was evident. How someone can sit at an empty table with a three quarters empty beer bottle watching fellow guests walk around with loaded plates is beyond me!!! I guess it takes all kinds to make a world!

Glad it's going well...what a lovely description of watching the boats and seagulls while enjoying the sunshine..sounds so relaxing!

Buffet etiquette for us : if there are table hogs lingering we say " excuse us but are these seats taken?.. There are no other seats available so we'd like to join you..." ......usual response is very positive or they say were just leaving etc. Only a few times do they say the seats are taken...and if they do we move on,

Buffet is an eatery but at times is used for reading, cards..no issue except when it is a busy meal time., but it really should not be an all day perch,,esp outside tables which are usually at a premium....Same for Solarium AQ spa cafe

RS and disability.....

Promised I would offer some info re the use of the RS for a guest with some degree of disability.

The door is heavy, I guest in a wheel chair could not open and enter on their own.

The main living area is ideal. Plenty of room to wheel in and manoeuvre your chair! When not in use there are loads of places you can park your chair without it being in your way at all. You could also be wheeled in directly to the bed. Move one chair from the six seater dining table and the chair will fit fine.

There is a couple of inch sill out onto the balcony, however, which is fine if like me you can use crutches but no good at all for anyone in a wheelchair.

Into the main bathroom slight sill up and a couple of inch sill into the shower. I asked for a shower stool which was provided. If like me you have crutch hopping ability no issues at all. If totally wheelchair reliant a real issue. Sinks etc are designed for standing guests. I have sat on my stool to clean teeth etc. Perfectly manageable again for hoppers! The jacuzzi is high up I was able to sit on the side and slide in holding onto the handrail (better half making sure I didn't slip). I am fit and well apart from my present issues.....guests with more extensive general mobility issues would not be safe doing this.

Service...having a butler is great. Things we would normally do for ourselves like getting coffee from cafe el bachio we are asking to be delivered. This is not only saving me some energy it is helping my "pushers"! If I am struggling to get going in the morning I can have a civilised breakfast in suite....Whilst I know all rooms can receive room service it is nice to have a comfortable table to dine at.

Enjoying the pampering....the RS perks are excellent. We have enjoyed the pleasure of looking forward to our cruise, now we are enjoying the cruise....after we will have the memories. Knowing this cruise was coming up has kept me smiling through quite a difficult Summer. I would strongly recommend anyone facing treatment to consider a cruise booking (with consultant and insurance company permission of course) as part of their recovery plan!

Re the "ducking stool" (as my better half insists on calling it).....I asked some questions pre cruise re the hoist for the Solarium pool. Yesterday I used it. The pool attendant was over in a shot. Explained exactly what they were going to and I was in in seconds happily floating in the pool! Again, you do need to check pre cruise with your medical staff if this is suitable for you. For me, this pool is ideal! To be able to walk, swim and float will I am sure aid recovery. The pool attendant kept glancing over to check I was OK and the minute I indicated I was ready to get out they were over and getting out was as easy as getting in. Staff could not have been more sensitive and helpful!

Generally around the ship...very accessible, no issues at all. A few venues have heavy doors but someone always runs to help!

So in summary, the RS is great for a guest with some mobility issues but certainly not suitable for those with major issues. You do need to be able to 'climb' safely over a balcony 'lip' and a shower 'lip'. If you cannot do that with confidence and ease you would be much better off having an accessible cabin. I am also aware that I do have a better half hovering around me all the time....I do have companions to open and close doors, pass me things....if I was travelling independently or with a companion who also had mobility issues the room again would not seem as suitable.

I hope these comments are of use.

So in summary, the RS is great for a guest with some mobility issues but certainly not suitable for those with major issues. You do need to be able to 'climb' safely over a balcony 'lip' and a shower 'lip'. If you cannot do that with confidence and ease you would be much better off having an accessible cabin. I am also aware that I do have a better half hovering around me all the time....I do have companions to open and close doors, pass me things....if I was travelling independently or with a companion who also had mobility issues the room again would not seem as suitable.

Your comments don't surprise me and I'm sure hold true for all non-accessible cabins regardless of size. Not sure if you've seen or stayed in one of the more "humble" accessible cabins, but there are a number of adaptions that you wouldn't even necessarily think about to make life easier. You've highlighted a few.

Phil

Your comments don't surprise me and I'm sure hold true for all non-accessible cabins regardless of size. Not sure if you've seen or stayed in one of the more "humble" accessible cabins, but there are a number of adaptions that you wouldn't even necessarily think about to make life easier. You've highlighted a few.

Phil

Phil, I totally agree...it isn't until you try living with a disability that you realise some of the difficulties....I have never needed an accessible cabin before (or a cabin that can be modified a bit)....Hopefully, by next cruise (Reflection in March) I will once again not need to look at layouts and the difficulties a simple 2" lip can make. We are so lucky we have booked RSs before...we knew I would be OK in this suite.

I do wonder at times if a little more detail on rooms and their facilities would be useful.....As we all age, although we may not consider ourselves having a disability we can find many simple things challenging.....I remember clearly speaking to an elderly ( but not disabled) guest in a CS on a Summit cruise getting into the shower over the tub in the suite and then really struggling to get out.....

Foggy cruiser, the M'D in Luminae is Nenad. He is very attentive, knowledgeable and helpful. He is also totally focused on the guest experience. I honestly think if just one guest left the restaurant unhappy with the food or service he would not sleep!

Breakfast and lunch in Luminae are both great although we tend to do either/or....there is quite simply a limit to how much food one can enjoy!

We dined in Luminae last night. Food and service again outstanding. As many of you who have read previous posts of mine know we do find the Luminae dinner menu a little brief. This cruise we have followed the advice of several Luminae lovers on CC and been more willing to express our personal likes and dislikes. Whereas on previous cruises the Moroccan chicken may have been dismissed as we don't like couscous this time we voiced a personal preferences and changes were made to suit....

Much as we are seasoned Celebrity cruisers we still have things to learn!.....We have usually taken the menu as "this is what you get".....if you add in the flexibility of "can I swap x for y" then more dishes become palatable. I do still think there is too much chicken and not enough lamb but that is all about personal taste! We are looking forward to our other Luminae dining evenings!

I can honestly say our dining experiences so far this cruise have been exceptional. Our preferred table choices have been noted, wine advice/choices have been good, service spot on for pace (not easy), food of very good quality and that constant quiet, but unmistakable feeling, that the staff genuinely hope you leave the restaurant having really enjoyed....

Tonight back in Murano's.....

Edited by chemmo

Re the "ducking stool" (as my better half insists on calling it).....I asked some questions pre cruise re the hoist for the Solarium pool. Yesterday I used it. The pool attendant was over in a shot. Explained exactly what they were going to and I was in in seconds happily floating in the pool! Again, you do need to check pre cruise with your medical staff if this is suitable for you. For me, this pool is ideal! To be able to walk, swim and float will I am sure aid recovery. The pool attendant kept glancing over to check I was OK and the minute I indicated I was ready to get out they were over and getting out was as easy as getting in. Staff could not have been more sensitive and helpful!

So glad the ducking stool has worked out for you. I know how concerned you were about it pre-cruise.

So glad the ducking stool has worked out for you. I know how concerned you were about it pre-cruise.

Yes, very easy! Would recommend anyone who is maybe getting a 'little wobbly on their pins' to make use of it. Much better than risking slipping on the steps.

Sue, thanks for your comments pre cruise re Luminae....We have boarded with more of an intention of voicing changing sides etc in Luminae and it has already broadened our choices of items.

We have once again worked up to blue skies and calm seas. The weather in Madeira yesterday was fantastic.

Our Michael's Club companions are mainly British. This is a new experience for us we are used to being a 'minority'!

We have enjoyed some really pleasant chats. We are finding that many of our companions, like us are world travelers. Unlike us, however, they seem to have experienced a much wider range of cruise companies....it has been interesting to hear their views and comparisons.

We are continuing to relax and unwind...so nice to have a cruise where the focus is rest....so many of our cruises in recent years have been near 'military operations' to squash in as much as possible!

Our wonderful holiday continues.

Staff are continuing to look after our every need and pleasure. Last night we dined in Tuscan with Captain Leo. Such a lovely man. We met him some years ago on the Summit and it was great to meet him again.

Lovely table companions including a British lady who was the highest cruiser on board, quite a novelty!

I know there is always some debate re PH to RS treatment....we were pampered beyond belief last cruise in the Eclipse PH but are possibly being even more so now in our RS....Staff in all restaurants continue to provide excellent service, our butler seems to know what we want before we ask for it....absolutely nothing is too much trouble. Wonderful!

Hi Chemmo, thank you for the updates...sounds like you are thouroughly enjoying your cruise!

Do you know how long captain Leo will be on board? We sail in December in the PH and it would be nice to see him again. We too had met him several times on the Summit and would love to see him again.

Thanks, and keep enjoying your cruise!:D