Celebrity vs Royal Caribbean?

ShaSco

I would actually approach this differently.

Visit each cruise line web site.

Read about the ships and the lines and what they emphasize.

Read reviews to get a sense of what people like about each line.

Read the posts to get a sense of what people also highlight as things they like and don't like so much.

For the last two items go with the 80/20 rule. In other words if 80% of the people like something or don't like something accept that as fact until you have experienced it yourself.

Order the Ocean Cruising Book updated annually be Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz. It provides a nice summary on each ship and also writeup on each line. I find it very helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/Berlitz-Cruising-Cruise-Ships-Guide/dp/1780049099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506702646&sr=8-1&keywords=douglas+ward

Personally I prefer Celebrity. It is the next level up from RCI.

It does attract an average age group that is older then RCI.

Keith

No one can advise without knowing more about you. Both cruise lines are perfectly acceptable options. Royal is better for families and in entertainment. Celebrity is better for adults and in food. No idea what your priorities are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would actually approach this differently.

Visit each cruise line web site.

Read about the ships and the lines and what they emphasize.

Read reviews to get a sense of what people like about each line.

Read the posts to get a sense of what people also highlight as things they like and don't like so much.

For the last two items go with the 80/20 rule. In other words if 80% of the people like something or don't like something accept that as fact until you have experienced it yourself.

Order the Ocean Cruising Book updated annually be Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz. It provides a nice summary on each ship and also writeup on each line. I find it very helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/Berlitz-Cruising-Cruise-Ships-Guide/dp/1780049099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506702646&sr=8-1&keywords=douglas+ward

Personally I prefer Celebrity. It is the next level up from RCI.

It does attract an average age group that is older then RCI.

Keith

Thanks Keith!

No one can advise without knowing more about you. Both cruise lines are perfectly acceptable options. Royal is better for families and entertainment. Celebrity is better for adults and in food. No idea what your priorities are.

Ditto above! (y)

Totally depends on the sort of cruise experience you want. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

A piece of advice. I think new cruisers often overlook the difference a ship can make. In every cruise line, ships vary. So let's suppose RCI's Allure of the Seas is sailing that itinerary and you are comparing it to Celebrity's Constellation. Two completely different ships that will offer very different experiences.

A piece of advice. I think new cruisers often overlook the difference a ship can make. In every cruise line, ships vary. So let's suppose RCI's Allure of the Seas is sailing that itinerary and you are comparing it to Celebrity's Constellation. Two completely different ships that will offer very different experiences.

Good point! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

As has been stated, Royal Caribbean is not in the same "class" as Celebrity. Royal Caribbean is a mainstream cruise line while Celebrity is a premium cruise line. As others have stated, it depends upon what type of experience you would like to have. Personally, I would sail on Celebrity over Royal Caribbean but we are not big party people and prefer good food and smaller ships.

Any preferences for travel to Southern Caribbean?

Yes, definite preferences. Which may well not match yours, as others have said, it depends what you want. I have done similar cruises on Royal and X. Both fine ships, both good food, good service. But for us Royal always felt like a party going on that we weren’t interested in even if we had been invited. I had been impressed ahead of time by talk of ice shows and theaters and climbing walls. None of which we used. Mildly interested in the ice show but no interest in standing in line for 30 minutes to get a ticket. On Celebrity we felt at home. Much more relaxing, they left it to us to amuse ourselves, which was perfect, I don’t expect someone else to entertain me every minute of a vacation trip! I don’t want or need others to constantly push this or that activity.

Going back to that region in December. On X, not Royal.

But if you have kids, if you like belly flop or hairy chest contests at the pool, if you would rather watch a show instead of listening to a lecture on the history of slave trade in the Caribbean and the links to the Southern U.S., if you don’t mind free ranging teenagers who amuse themselves by hitting all the floor-stop buttons on the elevator, if the price and schedules and accommodations work for you, then go Royal and you will have a grand time. Really. If the itinerary is right and the timing is such to minimize kids aboard, I would not hesitate to sail Royal again.

Stan

Sent from my iPad using Forums