Meet and Mingle

scotjos

Sailing on Silverseas for the first time I am disappointed to see that the minimum number does not seem to have been reached for the Silver Spirit cruise on 3 December. Since I will be travelling on my own I am concerned that this means there is less opportunity to meet up with other people and share excursions. Any advice from seasoned Silver seas cruisers?

There will be a get together the first evening for the singles on board. There should be a notice on the desk in your cabin when you board. If not, be sure to ask your butler or the reception desk. This is a great way to meet the other singles on board. Having said that, most if not all of the passengers on board will be welcoming and interested in meeting you. If there is no table specifically set up for singles in the MDR, ask to join another table and you will meet other passengers and possibly life long friends very quickly.

Enjoy.

A good number of passengers use Silversea shore excursions, but I couldn't guess what percentage of the passengers that is. Although they can be more expensive than privately arranged and shared shore excursions, they are generally well done. The buses are never crowded, and there is almost always a Silversea crew member on board to make sure everything goes smoothly. Plus, if there is a problem and the tour is delayed, either the ship will wait for you or they will get you to the next port. That is a nice safety net.

Sailing on Silverseas for the first time I am disappointed to see that the minimum number does not seem to have been reached for the Silver Spirit cruise on 3 December. Since I will be travelling on my own I am concerned that this means there is less opportunity to meet up with other people and share excursions. Any advice from seasoned Silver seas cruisers?

I don’t know your previous cruise experience but if you’ve never been on Silversea or other small ship cruise line you’re in for a different experience from cruising larger mass market ships. While I can’t absolutely guarantee it I think you’ll find that the smaller ship seems to lead to more interaction between passengers. That’s not to say passengers can’t or don’t stay to themselves but if you’re open and get engaged you’ll find it an very welcoming environment. Unfortunately it looks like you’ll be getting on the Spirit in Dubai as we get off so I can’t invite for a drink. :)

It's very common, in my experience, to not meet the minimum for a meet and mingle party. We leave next week for our 10th SS cruise, and it will be only the second time that we have had enough people sign up.

Between the small size of the ships, and the small fraction of cruisers who use CC, the odds are not in your favor. Many roll calls go completely unanswered.

We've never had trouble meeting people and we've made some great friends on SS and other cruises. In fact, we are taking this cruise next week with two other couples who we met on a 2013 cruise!

Enjoy yourself and have a great cruise!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Don't worry about numbers for the meet and mingle. I am listed for it and travelling solo on the Spirit, the same cruise as you. When there have been the numbers its has always been rather "busy" getting from the meet and mingle at 6.30pm to the 7pm solo travellers gathering. You will have the sail away party from 5pm after the boat drill so those first few hours are a bit hectic. You will get the friendly feel of Silversea. from the first day. You will only feel on your own if thats what you want.

I look forward to meeting you on board.

Thanks .That is reassuring.I look forward to meeting you at the solo travellers gathering.I have been in other cruises on my own and have arranged excursions with fellow travellers but that has usually been done before I set off.

Great idea about joining a trivia team. On our recent cruise on the Muse, our entire team was composed of people we met on cc.com.

Also, when you get to your suite, be sure to look at all the envelopes on the desk and even in some of the folders just in case there is an invitation to a meet and mingle or something else hidden in there. Frequently people miss the meet and mingle the first night because the invitation is hidden in there.

Thanks for all the tips. I am new to Bridge and understand there will be tuition on board so that should help. I have been to some of the stops before and have used a private tour company for the houseboat trip In Kerala which was very good.

Alma

Hi Alma, I sailed solo in August (first time on SS) and there were quite a few other solo passengers on board........the staff

was extremely welcoming and they offered evening cocktails (if you want to attend)...every night in one of the lounges.

It is a nice way to meet other folks......it is listed in the daily paper.

Just to make you aware, both staff and crew were outstanding and because the ships are smaller, it is very easy to meet

other people......hope you have a great time:)

Oh, our roll call was very small.......me and 2 other gals were chatting......but I met many friendly folks on board........not

just solos........couples, a few families, friends, etc.........the atmosphere is totally welcoming to everyone:)

Thanks. This is all reassuring. I just felt concerned when there had been more activity on roll calls on the two other occasions I have travelled solo with Azamara and NCL.Also there was no formal night on Azamara and I know Silversea put more emphasis on this which is a bit more daunting.

Thanks. This is all reassuring. I just felt concerned when there had been more activity on roll calls on the two other occasions I have travelled solo with Azamara and NCL.Also there was no formal night on Azamara and I know Silversea put more emphasis on this which is a bit more daunting.

More emphasis on formal nights? I can tell you from my experience, it was not daunting.........I wore a dressy pair of

slacks with a dressy top and some nice jewelry. I had no issues at all.......no need to bring a "formal gown" if that is

what you are concerned about. I felt totally appropriate and would wear the same outfit again:)

don't worry about cruising solo - making friends is very easy. Everyone is on holiday and once you start doing an excursion you'll run in to many of the same people doing the same things even on the 2nd and third excursion. You'll make friends at dinner - you can ask to sit with others, etc.