Last cruise before drydock?

canwegonow

I agree with the above and heartily second it for the same reasons. Sometimes we've noticed the service suffers too and chalked it up to some crew being antsy to begin their vacations. Just a hunch but we wouldn't do one of these again.

Can’t speak about starting work early (I know it has happened but certainly can’t say it’s the norm, my guess is a better chance of the opposite being true) but our two cruises right before drydock were the worst ( not terrible but def not good) service he had on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto to all the above. Not worth it, reviews from people who have taken cruises in the 2 weeks leading to dry dock are pretty bad. They talk about things being closed and workers everywhere. Also the crew not being quite as attentive.

We've never taken a cruise right before dry dock, but have taken a few pretty soon after. I also wouldn't recommend doing that, as a few places and cabins weren't 100% finished.

I agree with the above and heartily second it for the same reasons. Sometimes we've noticed the service suffers too and chalked it up to some crew being antsy to begin their vacations. Just a hunch but we wouldn't do one of these again.

DH and I were on the last sailing before the Pride went into the last dry dock for the 2.0 upgrades. That was our 5th cruise with carnival and we didn't see any changes from previous cruises and had a wonderful time! Most of the crew had just come back from vacation and were staying on the Pride during the upgrades. I say go for it!!! The Pride is a great ship!

DH and I were on the last sailing before the Pride went into the last dry dock for the 2.0 upgrades. That was our 5th cruise with carnival and we didn't see any changes from previous cruises and had a wonderful time! Most of the crew had just come back from vacation and were staying on the Pride during the upgrades. I say go for it!!! The Pride is a great ship!

You got lucky. Were you told the crew were staying aboard during a major drydock, e.g. for two weeks? Unlikely.

You got lucky. Were you told the crew were staying aboard during a major drydock, e.g. for two weeks? Unlikely.

Since no passengers would be on for tipping wonder how the crew would get paid?

From everything I have heard just about the entire crew would end contracts and a new crew comes on after drydock. Would not want to cruise after drydock either in case stuff didnt get completed and would want crew settling in

We were on the same cruise and had the same experience, and yes, several of the crew we spoke with said the same, they would be going with the ship to dry dock and would be working/helping out...running parts, helping welders, electricians, plumbers, meal prep...etc.

We also were on the Sunshine prior to it's most recent dry dock in 2016. Had similar conversations with crew there staying onboard working during the dry dock.

Crew contracts begin and end continuously during the course of a year. During a dry dock they continue to be paid but of course they don’t receive any passenger tips. They work behind the scenes cleaning and removing garbage from construction areas. They also assist construction crews when necessary. Prior to a scheduled dry dock some construction employees get a jump on there work schedules by starting construction prior to the ships last sailing. At the conclusion of the dry dock, if work isn’t completed construction employees sometimes will stay onboard during the ships normal schedule to complete renovations. Dry docks are scheduled years in advance and materials needed for construction are reserved well in advance of a scheduled dry dock.

We were on the Breeze the final sailing before dry dock and we didn't have anything that was shut down, no work beginning ahead of time, etc. The only thing we did notice was there were chairs wrapped in plastic in the theater (on the upper level) on debark day and that there were no crowds trying to drop off luggage or check in while we were heading out.