Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour

lonig

My daughter and I will be arriving in Boston October 19th for a cruise on Serenade on October 21st. We are staying at the Marriott Long Wharf and were thinking about taking the Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour on Saturday. They will pick us up from the hotel and it is a 9:30 am to 5:00 pm tour. Has anyone done this tour, it appears they go to a lot of different places.

Also we want to eat Friday night at Legal Seafoods Harborside which I see is a 10 minute ride in good traffic. Not knowing what the weather is we will either take a cab or Uber. Any thoughts on this plan?

Oct 20 is Head of the Charles - Cambridge and Boston by the Charles River will be jumping with people and traffic.

Quite frankly it sounds exhausting to me. You're in a bus all day going first to see Cambridge and out through Lexington and Concord, back into town for lunch at Faneuil Hall, and then driving around to see about 20 sights on Boston. With that schedule you can't possibly spend much time anywhere and will just be driving by most of the sights.

Full list of sights seen during the Boston portion of your tour:

New England Aquarium

Faneuil Hall Marketplace

Seaport District

North End (Little Italy/Fleet Center)

USS Constitution

Old State House

Site of the Boston Massacre

Tremont Hotel

City Place

State House

Beacon Hill

West End

Cambridge Center

Back Bay Hilton

Museum of Fine Arts

Symphony Hall

Back Bay

Copley Place

Trinity Church

Park Square

Rowes Wharf

Read more about Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour, with Lexington and Concord 2018 at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Boston/Boston-in-One-Day-Sightseeing-Tour/d678-3978TOUR3?pub=vcps

What size bus will be used? IMO a big comfortable tour bus is not the way to see old Boston because there are many places these buses just don't fit easily.

There is also a Legal Seafoods right by Marriott Long Wharf.

Edited by 138east

It's a 10 minute walk from the cruise terminal to Legal's Harborside.

Yes but they are staying at the Marriott Long Wharf next to an alternative Legal Seafoods right on their doorstep which might be appealing after 8-9 hours on a bus tour.

Good point. I missed that location.

The Legal's near them is as good as downstairs at Harborside. Upstairs (2nd floor) at Harborside is definitely worth the excursion. And bring your good clothes and best credit card with you!

• 5 weeks later...

We have reservations for dinner on Friday night. Tour will be Saturday, I thought after we see all the sites on Saturday we would be able to decide what we would like to come back to the next time we visit.

The OP has already been advised that Oct 20 is Head of the Charles weekend, which is probably the busiest fall weekend in Boston.

Not good news for me! We are in port on Saturday Oct. 20 from 8-5 ! I was going to do the Hop On Hop Off bus, but now I am afraid to do it as we might not be able to get back on at some of the stops. Am I correct on this?

I can't really tell you what will happen. The Head of the Charles is a regatta on the Charles River that causes parts of Memorial Drive and Soldiers Field Road to be closed. Needless to say this causes traffic issues that could spill over into downtown Boston. The Old Town Trolley goes across the Charles River into Cambridge, so that leg of the route could be impacted.

The OP is taking an 8+ hour bus tour that goes through Cambridge and has an ambitious schedule, which is why concerns about the effect of the Head of the Charles were raised.

Don't know what to advise. Have you considered the Freedom Trail? We can help you create an alternative plan. Personally I like cab/Uber to the Constitution in Charlestown at 9 am for the museum and 10 am to visit the ship. MBTA water taxi to Long Wharf for $3.50/pp. (mini harbor cruise) Walk into the North End to pick up the Freedom Trail and walk back to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. Walk the trail back to Boston Common. Cab/Uber or Red Line/Silver Line back to the port. Details can be provided.