Canon FF Mirrorless will have new lens mount as well.

pierces

Received my new a7 III and some Sony G glass. Played with the menu a bit to get the basic setup right.

Went out side an intentionally put the camera/lens through the high ISO test. Shooting at 12,800 ISO in jpeg I was amazed at the usable pictures with no noise reduction. Yes there was some noise but as a wedding photog I would have no problem using. Shoot in RAW and some post noise reduction I I wouldn't worry about going up to 25,600 if I needed to. All I can say is the camera delivers big time.

Received my new a7 III and some Sony G glass. Played with the menu a bit to get the basic setup right.

Went out side an intentionally put the camera/lens through the high ISO test. Shooting at 12,800 ISO in jpeg I was amazed at the usable pictures with no noise reduction. Yes there was some noise but as a wedding photog I would have no problem using. Shoot in RAW and some post noise reduction I I wouldn't worry about going up to 25,600 if I needed to. All I can say is the camera delivers big time.

Welcome, I've shot a couple of weddings with the Sony and have a big wedding coming up.

Some wedding shooting with Sony tidbits:

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/06/24/my-first-wedding-with-sony-a7riii/

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/08/12/church-wedding-with-sony-a7riii/

Welcome, I've shot a couple of weddings with the Sony and have a big wedding coming up.

Some wedding shooting with Sony tidbits:

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/06/24/my-first-wedding-with-sony-a7riii/

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/08/12/church-wedding-with-sony-a7riii/

Nice read and I love to hear others mistakes and nightmares ... wedding photography isn't for the timid or for those that can't adapt quickly. After 250+ weddings I can honestly say I've never had a wedding go exactly perfect, it just doesn't happen.

I will be purchasing a 2nd a7 III and sellingt my second Canon FF.

For flash I'm with you. Already purchased Godox pr and a 860 plus a 350. In the past I used 4 Canon 600 EX-RT's. Love shooting off-camera flash.

I use Magmod just like you but no soft box. Love the MagSphere and the MagSnoot.

Lenses .... I selling a bunch of Canon L lenses.

What I will have moving forward is:

Sony 24-105 f/4 G

Sony 16-35 f/4 G

Sony 85 f/1.8

Sony 70-200 f/4 G

I mat purchase a 35 fast lens but we shall see. Frankly I can shoot a wedding with the 24-105 and 70-200 just fine. With the higher ISO range of the a7 III I'm not worried about the f/4 lenses. The 35 fast lens will be just in case I'm in a very dark church. With my Canon stuff I always had a 50mm d/1.4 and a 85mm f/1.8 plus a 100mm f/2.8 macro which is fine for anything.

Again thanks for sharing.

Nice read and I love to hear others mistakes and nightmares ... wedding photography isn't for the timid or for those that can't adapt quickly. After 250+ weddings I can honestly say I've never had a wedding go exactly perfect, it just doesn't happen.

I will be purchasing a 2nd a7 III and sellingt my second Canon FF.

For flash I'm with you. Already purchased Godox pr and a 860 plus a 350. In the past I used 4 Canon 600 EX-RT's. Love shooting off-camera flash.

I use Magmod just like you but no soft box. Love the MagSphere and the MagSnoot.

Lenses .... I selling a bunch of Canon L lenses.

What I will have moving forward is:

Sony 24-105 f/4 G

Sony 16-35 f/4 G

Sony 85 f/1.8

Sony 70-200 f/4 G

I mat purchase a 35 fast lens but we shall see. Frankly I can shoot a wedding with the 24-105 and 70-200 just fine. With the higher ISO range of the a7 III I'm not worried about the f/4 lenses. The 35 fast lens will be just in case I'm in a very dark church. With my Canon stuff I always had a 50mm d/1.4 and a 85mm f/1.8 plus a 100mm f/2.8 macro which is fine for anything.

Again thanks for sharing.

Register as a Sony pro, well worth it.

So they just sent me the 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 to borrow for 2 weeks. I was going to use them for a big wedding next week....

And the 70-200 is defective. Won’t mount.

I’m debating what to do for the wedding—

Either just accept 85/1.8 as being long enough

Or— 70-200/4, which I fear may be too slow for church pics.

Or if I move now, I can get the Zeiss 135/2.8 for a not-ridiculous price.

For a fast 35, the Rokinon/Samyang 35/1.4 is a great value. The Sony 35/1.4 really isn’t much better.

Register as a Sony pro, well worth it.

So they just sent me the 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 to borrow for 2 weeks. I was going to use them for a big wedding next week....

And the 70-200 is defective. Won’t mount.

I’m debating what to do for the wedding—

Either just accept 85/1.8 as being long enough

Or— 70-200/4, which I fear may be too slow for church pics.

Or if I move now, I can get the Zeiss 135/2.8 for a not-ridiculous price.

For a fast 35, the Rokinon/Samyang 35/1.4 is a great value. The Sony 35/1.4 really isn’t much better.

Thanks for the advice ....

I've used a Canon 70-200 f/4 IS for years on my 5D MIII. Never had a problem at 2500-ISO, 200mm, wide open at around 1/60. But .... I only used it while they were pretty stationary standing up there, no problem. If it was dark I would use my 50mm f/1.4 at 2.0 for the processional, never a problem at 1/100 and the ISO-2500.

With these Sonys I feel very comfortable at 5000, a whole stop :)

You will be fine

Inside a very dark Mission ....

200mm, 1/40, f/4, 2500-ISO

0361-X2.jpg

Love the Father applauding the dip/kiss at the alter :)

Nice shot... but even with stabilization, I'm just not comfortable shooting at 1/40 and 200mm. I'd be hesitant to go slower than 1/160. Which would have put this at ISO 10,000.... a bit uncomfortable.

So I can get a Batis 135/2.8 for 1,200 (and I love an excuse for new gear).... Which would give me enough telephoto reach at F2.8. I should be able to move around the church during the ceremony, I won't be stuck in the way back.

But given that I can move around, I might be just fine with a 24-70 and 85mm.

Heck, did this with a 55mm:

44542038151_241120ea38_h.jpguntitled (723 of 926).jpg by Adam Brown, on Flickr

If I pull the trigger on the 135/2.8, I'd probably sell my 70-200/f4, I don't use it that often.

Part of the learning curve on shooting weddings is trusting your equipment. On these new Sony's you can chimp with your eye to the EVF. At 5000-ISO I'd be at 1/80, a piece of cake for these new lenses with IS. Learn to trust the force Luke .... I mean trust the equipment .... you pay big money for lenses that can pull this off.

The secret to wedding photography is delivering what others can't pull off. I love it when someone tells me how incredible there new cell phone is .... then I show them some 'money' shots using off-camera flash .... end of debate. Remember Brides aren't going to hire you because you give them the same vanilla everyone else can do with their cell phone and knowing how to use it .... deliver what others can't ... the best weapon we have is off-camera flash ;)

5-XL.jpg

Oct%2010%20wedding%20%2862%20of%20112%29-XL.jpg

Couldn’t agree more on the value of off camera flash. And those are great shots.

As to stabilization and shutter speeds... I’ve been doing this long enough to know my gear and my hands. I have a tremor... I just can’t get away with very low shutter speeds at a decent keeper rate. Would rather have some extra grain in a shot instead of losing it to camera shake. My keeper rate starts to really suffer when I go much below 1/focal length. When shooting without stabilization, I really need a minimum of 1/2xfocal length, at a minimum.

Getting back to OCF— did you see the new Magbox? I guess I’m one of the 1500 Kickstarter buyers, it looks fantastic.

The silent shutter is one of the most valuable features on the current Sony cameras. The A9 has a truly advanced silent shutter that can be used for anything.

The silent shutter on the Sony A7riii and A7iii is much more limited. Among other limits, when used in artificial light, it can result in significant banding.

When used properly though, banding can generally be avoided.

So how to avoid banding in silent shutters:

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/09/08/silent-shutter-banding/