All Photography Prohibited - Liberty OTS and What Other Ships?

Heymoe

I've heard from two folks that all cameras are prohibited in the theatre of the Liberty. (Use of flash and any video is prohibited for all indoor Royal performances on other ships).

What other ships have similar prohibitions? I do stage photography and need to steer clear of those ships.

The people who use flash (especially during acrobatic shows!), video (with audio) and tablets (held above the head with the brightness turned up) irritate me also.

I've heard from two folks that all cameras are prohibited in the theatre of the Liberty. (Use of flash and any video is prohibited for all indoor Royal performances on other ships).

What other ships have similar prohibitions? I do stage photography and need to steer clear of those ships.

The people who use flash (especially during acrobatic shows!), video (with audio) and tablets (held above the head with the brightness turned up) irritate me also.

Pretty much all ships have prohibitions on photographing their production shows for various reasons. Mostly for copyright issues and a zero-tolerance policy targeting the mechanically challenged who don't know how to turn off their flashes. Video is always verboten for copyright reasons.

Dave

If you do stage photography, you would understand why no photography is ever allowed in a theater, unless you have prior written permission. I’ve never seen a theater show that allows photography. Sometimes at a school concert, but that’s about it. Everything is copywrited. Sets, lighting, costumes....

If you do stage photography, you would understand why no photography is ever allowed in a theater, unless you have prior written permission. I’ve never seen a theater show that allows photography. Sometimes at a school concert, but that’s about it. Everything is copywrited. Sets, lighting, costumes....

Hmm. The Dance Captain (Steph) on the Freedom and I spoke about which cast members lacking production stills for their books so I'd make sure to concentrate on them. The stage manager cleared up a question about which side the singers would use to interact with audience members so I'd know where to sit for the best shot.

If the stage manager asked, I’d assume that would come with written permission and the ban would be lifted. Otherwise, you’re still teeeeechnically breaking copyright.

I’ve just been around a lot of professional theater designers. This is fairly standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's also the matter of usage. If the stage manager plans to use your images for promotional purposes thats a totally different matter and constitutes permission as long as you don't use them for anything else. I have permission to take photos at certain events where I volunteer with a group even tho others normally cannot, because my images go to the group.

Not sure about ships but I have seen the general policy more relaxed in other venues. We saw Cher last month and they mentioned use of flash but half the audience was videoing on their phones and it did not seem to be a problem.

Many venues have realized they have lost the battle and only go after people looking to monetize, figuring at his heart its free promotion even if copyright violation (and there are some long term legal issues there).

Not sure about ships but I have seen the general policy more relaxed in other venues. We saw Cher last month and they mentioned use of flash but half the audience was videoing on their phones and it did not seem to be a problem.

Never had an issue taking a good size camera and lens into a cruise theater. My D810 is so quite on Q-mode that the wife sitting next to me can not hear the camera noise. I also make sue the focus assist light stays off and monitor on the back is not used. I use a 70-200 f/2.8 for the lens.

All pictures are for personal use.

framer

wow.jpg.5b26440ff6d1f6cb69f67467680288ca.jpg

Edited by framer

And the odds are they won't bother you, but from a purely legal standpoint its still a copyright violation if they ask for no photos.

Never had an issue taking a good size camera and lens into a cruise theater. My D810 is so quite on Q-mode that the wife sitting next to me can not hear the camera noise. I also make sue the focus assist light stays off and monitor on the back is not used. I use a 70-200 f/2.8 for the lens.

All pictures are for personal use.

framer

We were on the Independence last May and enjoyed the ice show. I did not bring a camera with me and made a few cell phone images figuring it would be nice to have one in my book. The next we met the violinist from the show and made a new friend. In course of conversation over dinner we mentioned we had really crappy seats for the show and she offered to get us in early for the next show. Soooo, I brought a 5D III and a 24-105 F4, sat in the front row and made pictures all night long. No one said boo to me. Our new friend did say thank you when I handed her a thumb drive of pictures for her and the skaters to enjoy. Oh, that one picture in my book turned into 4 pages.....location, location, location...

We were on the Independence last May and enjoyed the ice show. I did not bring a camera with me and made a few cell phone images figuring it would be nice to have one in my book. The next we met the violinist from the show and made a new friend. In course of conversation over dinner we mentioned we had really crappy seats for the show and she offered to get us in early for the next show. Soooo, I brought a 5D III and a 24-105 F4, sat in the front row and made pictures all night long. No one said boo to me. Our new friend did say thank you when I handed her a thumb drive of pictures for her and the skaters to enjoy. Oh, that one picture in my book turned into 4 pages.....location, location, location...

Amen. (Wish this site had a thumbs-up feature). The ice show is really a challenge on that small rink. Like photographing caffeinated squirrels.

My mentor said half of the job is showing up early, half is talking to people, and the third half is the photography. The seat next to my favorite one in the stage theatre had a "Reserved" sign for the production show. The stage manager confirmed it was just that one seat, so I sat next to it. A lady about my age sat down in it and commented on my gear (10-22 on the 5D and EF 70-200 F2.8 on the 80D). She was the Dance Captain's mother.

The justifiably proud mom said that she judged photographers on how well they caught her daughter's high kicks and said that since I'd not seen the show or rehearsal before that it would be really tough. I gave her a card and said "Let me try". Luckily she introduced me to her daughter so I could explain why her stills looked a bit...different. The dancer understood and went out of her way to be accommodating the rest of the cruise.

Most people don't get that show up early part...Being mostly a news and sports guy I took Yogi Berra's advice when he said that 50% of the game is 90% mental. It always helps to take the time to be prepared and that means being there early and yes, talking to people. Having seen the show once helped me be ready but being right in the front changed my perspective. I really wish they had done a third show so I could just go back and watch it. My violinist was always popping up, from back stage, through the sides, in the seats.....right next to us once.

In 2016 my DW and I sailed on Carnival's Fascination out of San Juan, PR and went to see the Divas show. We were randomly picked from the audience to participate in some pre-show shenanigans and she was later selected to participate in the final part of the production. Not only did thy not say anything to me about me taking pictures (with my cell phone..ughh!) but when DW was about to appear on stage they offered to grab my phone and record it so I could enjoy the finale and my DW's participation in it. A real class act!

It's encouraging that Celebrity, Carnival, most of RCI, and Princess (the last being from my experience) appear to allow cameras with TTL/viewfinders in their venues.

Holland and RCI's Liberty of the Seas, it won't make any difference to 99% of the passengers, but it's good to know beforehand what is prohibited.

Thanks for your observations! If you run into a prohibition, please post it.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Do check your ticket (contract with the cruise line). I believe you will find that they own the rights to any photos taken onboard by anybody. As long as you don’t try to sell, not an issue...

Actually the cruise contract only applies to photos taken by cruise staff in terms of rights, you retain the rights.  There are restrictions on sales of photos involving ship activities (and possibly ship structure and amenities) but if you take an awesome sunset photo from the pool deck, that's all yours.   Where there is a grey area contract wise is pictures you take that include other passengers, normally in the US you would get their consent to sell a photo, not sure what international rules are.  For personal use, there is no issue, the ship is considered a public venue, just like a street, etc.