Carnival Magic or Carnival Horizon?

elsplace2

We haven't cruised in a couple of years. We were booked on the Vista this past June, but had to cancel because we were moving to another state.

So needless to say I am a little rusty here on CC! The site is new and improved since I've been on it. So forgive me if this question has already been asked.

We want to do a Southern Caribbean, which includes Grand Turk, Curacao and Aruba in March or April of 2020.

There isn't much info on the Horizon yet, and I really didn't get much of a chance to do some research for Vista, when we were booked on her, which was also going to these islands. I don't have as much time on my hands like I used to, with my new job...so I'm hoping for a little help, to get me started.

So if you had to pick, which would you pick? Horizon or Magic? or if you have been on the Vista, which I assume is a lot like the Horizon....which would you pick?

(Horizon is obviously more expensive, but is it worth it??)

Thanks in advance!

The Horizon is 95% the same as the Vista. We did that Southern itineray on the Vista. It was great, simple as that. Lots to do on there. Just book which ever one lookks more appealing to you even if one is a bit more. We loved the Skyride, Imax, and Dive in Movies on the Vista. They are sister ships.

We did the Magic two years ago and we doing the Horizon next March. The few things that concern me about the Horizon in reading about is the Theatre (seating is not getting good reviews), the IMAX (we have a balcony cabin across the hall on deck 9) and the sheer size (# of people)....sounds like the seating in the comedy club can be a downside as well.

That being said, it is a new ship so I would lean toward the Horizon if the itinerary are the same.

The Magic has the nice tropical decor in many places (e.g. Lido market place). The Magic was last dry docked in 2016 so perhaps it will have one scheduled in 2019 or in 2020 before your cruise.

Good luck with your choice!

I had a cruise booked on Vista earlier this year; however, after sailing on Vista last year, I cancelled the cruise on Vista and went on a cruise on Magic instead the same week earlier this year. Vista is a nice ship, but both my wife and I agree Magic is a much nicer ship. Obviously different features appeal to different people, but the only thing on Vista I liked better than Magic was the Havana area, which Magic doesn’t have.

Otherwise, every area we like to spend time at is nicer on Magic to include the lounges/theaters, the lobby bar, the Alchemy Bar, Ocean Plaza, Red Frog Pub, the thermal suite, and the Serenity area, although the salad bar on Vista in the Serenity area is nice.

For some the same price, I would pick Magic over Vista/Horizon. When you factor in that Magic is cheaper, it is a no brainer deciding which ship I would pick.

Edited by PhillyFan33579

I have been on both and while I thoroughly enjoyed both, I would pick the Horizon if all factors are the same (cost, ports, etc). If for no other reason than the Horizon has Jiji’s, which was my favorite meal on any ship. Also, it’s has both the sky bikes and the rope course!

The pluses of the Magic is that it has a better main theater and also a promenade that you can walk completely around in a circle (I enjoy going for walks at night while cruising).

I still think I would choose the Horizon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your input! I guess I have some research to start doing on the Horizon. I think that’s the way to go!
Just got off of the Horizon a few weeks ago and it was great. If at all possible, book a Havana cabin, even just an inside one if it's available. Because you will spend your time that you would have spent on your balcony in the kid free Havana area enjoying a pool and two hot tubs. Out of our 8 days, seating was scarce on only the first sea day.

I was on Dream in '17, Vista in March, Magic in August & I'm booked on the Horizon southern for May.

I hated the Vista at first. The atrium was blah. The decor was blah. The layout was all wrong & the theater flat out sucked. As the week went on, the layout & decor grew on me. The atrium made it's amends. The theater still flat out sucks lol.

After being on Magic I realized the layout isn't far off, I actually like the muted decor... and the theater is still 1000000000× better on Dream class :')

So the theater on horizon will suck. But it will have the newest & the best. The Magic was also fantastic. You wont go wrong either way. If you want new & fancy... go Horizon. If you want an upgraded classic Carnival... go Magic.

We did the Magic two years ago and we doing the Horizon next March. The few things that concern me about the Horizon in reading about is the Theatre (seating is not getting good reviews), the IMAX (we have a balcony cabin across the hall on deck 9) and the sheer size (# of people)....sounds like the seating in the comedy club can be a downside as well.

That being said, it is a new ship so I would lean toward the Horizon if the itinerary are the same.

The Magic has the nice tropical decor in many places (e.g. Lido market place). The Magic was last dry docked in 2016 so perhaps it will have one scheduled in 2019 or in 2020 before your cruise.

Good luck with your choice!

Just sailed on Horizon (8 day Cruise), no worries its a fantastic ship. (Read my honest review. It has Pros and Cons (many more Pros). Its a very Fun...Ship. Plus we like Newer Ships...

Horizon, is a larger ship with many more features, and its Brand New...:):)

Horizon isn’t much bigger than Magic, but I agree it has features like smaller show lounges, no glass elevators, smaller atrium, no thalassotherapy pool, etc. My wife and I enjoy going to shows, comedy, etc., and the lounges on Vista class ships are too small, poor sight lines, etc. But if these don’t appeal to you, that eliminates a big negative associated with Vista class ships.