To those that suffer from Osteoarthritis

beachbum53

Thank you! I have OA in my hip and back. I had a hip replacement over 2.5 years ago and it still isn't right due to having 2 nerves damaged. Anyway....stupid question.....how do you find out what level it is going to be on ahead of time? Same one as the life boats? I can see this tip being a trip saver for me.

Save

It is on the back of your stateroom door.

• 2 months later...

I am not 55+ but I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and fibrolmyalgia, and I travel with my 67 year old husband who suffers from chronic pain and neuropathy and has been classified as "disabled" by the Social Security Administration for over 20 years.

We just got back from San Juan. We took a taxi from our hotel to Old San Juan - the historic district. The fort you see on all of the tourist brochures is here, and is right smack next to the rest of old town. The fort is run by the U.S. Park Service. There are quite a few benches throughout the fort, so my husband and I were both okay touring it on foot and taking our time. If you are disabled admission is free, so with his social security disability he had free admission. I paid $7. After the fort, which we both loved, we walked around in old town at a leisurely pace. We stopped for a drink and a snack when we needed to sit down. There are many beautiful pastel-colored colonial buildings very close to the fort.

I do recommend Old San Juan even for people with mobility challenges. As for other excursions, I usually take one through the ship so that most transportation is provided. The different tours usually list how much walking is involved, and we choose accordingly. My husband sometimes prefers to stay on the ship for a spa day, but we have gone on island sightseeing tours and "beach break" type excursions together successfully. Hope this helps.