Covering Non-refundable Costs

notjaded

Some, if not all, travel insurance requires that all non-refundable costs to be insured.

Cruises have calendars, and the closer one gets to embarkation, the greater the percentage of the costs are non-refundable. Typically, when an insurance policy is bought for a cruise sailing "a long time from now," the non-refundable portion of the fare is zero.

Do members of this community routinely escalate coverage based upon the amount that is non-refundable, necessitating repeating calls and charges to the insurance company? Or, do you pay the entire cost of the eventual non-refundable amount?

Thanks!

When I buy the insurance (and i do not do so from the cruise line), I insure all of the nonrefundable costs associated with that booking at the time the booking is made. I do so because I want to partake of the pre-condition exclusion waiver that requires buying the coverage within a certain number of days after paying the deposit for the trip. If I make other bookings for my trip that also need to be insured under the terms of the policy, I will call either the insurance company or my travel agent (depending upon from whom I bought the policy) to add those new costs to my policy.

When I buy the insurance (and i do not do so from the cruise line), I insure all of the nonrefundable costs associated with that booking at the time the booking is made. I do so because I want to partake of the pre-condition exclusion waiver that requires buying the coverage within a certain number of days after paying the deposit for the trip. If I make other bookings for my trip that also need to be insured under the terms of the policy, I will call either the insurance company or my travel agent (depending upon from whom I bought the policy) to add those new costs to my policy.

For most insurers, I do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We recently booked a very expensive Mississippi River cruise for June 2019. Because of our ages, the eventual total cost of the insurance will be about $2100. Since we do not want to pay all that now and possibly lose it if we cancel before final payment, I contacted tripinsurancestore and asked them if we could get pre-existing condition coverage and only insure our deposit now. They said this was doable. We bought a Travel Insured policy for $117 and will add to it as we make payments.

We recently booked a very expensive Mississippi River cruise for June 2019. Because of our ages, the eventual total cost of the insurance will be about $2100. Since we do not want to pay all that now and possibly lose it if we cancel before final payment, I contacted tripinsurancestore and asked them if we could get pre-existing condition coverage and only insure our deposit now. They said this was doable. We bought a Travel Insured policy for $117 and will add to it as we make payments.

Thank you. Did you happen to inquire whether you could add to your coverage as more non-refundable benchmarks are reached?

Oh, yes, Tripinsurancestore told us to call as soon as we added any costs to the trip. For example, if we book air before the final cruise payment, we will call and add that to the policy. If we add hotel nights, same thing, I expect we will be calling 3 or 4 times to increase coverage.

Oh, yes, Tripinsurancestore told us to call as soon as we added any costs to the trip. For example, if we book air before the final cruise payment, we will call and add that to the policy. If we add hotel nights, same thing, I expect we will be calling 3 or 4 times to increase coverage.

Thank you!