How Much Cash?

napria

I know this is a personal preference, but I’m wondering how much cash to bring on our Caribbean cruise. We usually use credit cards for everything we can when on vacation, but I know there are instances where credit cards aren’t accepted. Any helpful advice?

This is virtually impossible to answer. Consider which islands you are going to and their currency, how many taxis you plan to take, how you like to tip service or excursion providers, whether you plan to dine off the ship, and did I mention shopping yet? You could need anywhere between $50 and $5,000. It all just depends on your personal lifestyle.

Personally, I like to take as little cash as possible. When/if I need cash, I just go to a bank and use their ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always bring a lot more then I would ever need.

Yes there might be some items where I will use cash such as tips for tour guides, maybe paying for a private tour in cash, cash for small purchases, and cash for tips such as porters.

But I also just like to have cash in case there is some type of emergency where I just need cash.

We spread it out amongst the two of us while traveling including carry on and then keep most of it in our safe at a hotel and on the cruise ship.

Keith

Don’t most taxis and restaurants accept credit cards? I know most shops do (at least, most shops selling jewelry, clothing, etc... not local crafts)

And forgive me, this will be my first cruise in 32 years, but am I expected to tip each shore excursion provider?

Keith1010, thank you for the tip to spread it around between us. I usually take some cash in my wallet and my husband takes the rest. I never thought of putting it in other places.

napria, when it comes to taxis some take credit cards and others don't. Always keep in mind that for those who do take them sometimes their system is down. Yes, most restaurants take them.

Tipping is a personal decision but my view is that for a Caribbean Cruise I would tip as long as you are pleased with the tour. If it is a ships tour involving a driver and tour guide we will tip both but how much we tip will be based on several factors ranging from the quality of the tour to the length of the tour and what we think of driver and tour guide. If we were not please with one or both we would not tip those we were not pleased with. On a private tour we would also tip in the Caribbean.

I highlight this because there are certain places in the world where tipping is not expected because of the compensation already provided to the tour guides.

Keith

Make sure you have some small change to give to people who go out of their way to help you. You won't get this from an ATM so at some stage you'll need to ask someone to split some higher denomination notes.

Yes, you need cash unless you feel comfortable asking to pay for a couple of beers with a credit card - or a cup of coffee. And the courier who stands at the bottom of the step as you disembark from the sightseeing bus.

If you are negotiating with a taxi driver for a trip to and from a beach 'cash' always puts you in a better situation.

Tony

Tough question. During many cruises over the years we have had three credit cards compromised after using them, two in Europe and one in San Francisco, so check the card charges online frequently during the cruise. Also had one ATM card chewed up and destroyed by an ATM machine on the square in Mykonos. Better to use only bank and maybe airport ATMs. As Keith said, we also prefer to take more cash than we think we will need, in various denominations, and some in local currency, depending on where we are going. For tour tips we have never had U.S. currency refused.

Don’t most taxis and restaurants accept credit cards?
Not necessarily in the Caribbean. It really depends on the island.

I know most shops do (at least, most shops selling jewelry, clothing, etc... not local crafts)
True. But, most will offer additional discounts if you pay in cash.

...am I expected to tip each shore excursion provider?
It really is a personal decision. But, the only gratuities included in your cruise fare are for service whilst on board (except spa and salon). I can tell you from personal experience, tipping is greatly appreciated in the islands.

So how much does one tip a shore excursion provider? And we’re going to many different islands, all with their own currency. Can we change our cash on the ship to local currency?

How much we tip varies by how much we enjoy the tour, the value that the tour guide adds (we also tip driver) and the overall cost of the tour and its length.

If you are on a couple of hour tour and it is a ships tour maybe $5.00 to $10.00 per person but I really don't like to give a figure because we don't tip the same.

For Caribbean tours USA cash is fine for the tip(s).

Keith

Pretty much all Caribbean islands will accept US $ from tourists, and you will generally do better using cash for most transactions ashore. Credit card transactions in a shop or restaurant may attract 4% or more surcharge (to cover the fee paid to the CC company) plus any overseas charges your card may cost you. Taxis mostly want cash.

In my experience of many Caribbean visits, I have found that lots of small denomination US$ bills are vital - ones, fives, tens - with a wad of twenties in a different wallet/zippered pocket as backup. There are pickpockets everywhere - I'm not singling out the Caribbean, it's just good practice as a tourist anywhere not to have all your cash in one place.

And while tipping is a personal choice, and may vary with the quality of your experience on an excursion, as a generalisation $5 per person to the guide is what many would consider to be the usual amount. Maybe a bit to the driver too if he/she has been a good driver. Probably double that if it's been a full day tour. It's entirely up to you.

Unless you are going to an uninhabited part of the Caribbean, the bigger, more populated islands all take credit cards....the shops and restaurants are usually happy to see your VISA;)

As for how much cash to bring? Nobody can tell you a certain amount because what puts one person in a comfort zone, may

not be the same for another person.

Tipping at the end of the excursion is up to you.......I always tip the guide. *Unless it is a terrible tour.......but over the years,

I have always tipped.

• 3 weeks later...

Caution with credit cards in the Caribbean is warranted &, yes, I do know that credit cards can be compromised anywhere in this world. Travel magazines are full of articles about protecting them while traveling but I am extra cautious (Paranoid?) about using them. We take a card with no international exchange fee, that I seldom use otherwise, just for that purpose. Certainly not the one I register with Silversea. Be sure & let the issuing banks know the places you'll be visiting - you can usually do this online. Most of the islands in the Caribbean gladly take USD, so I would take a supply of cash based on what you usually spend while traveling, & keep all but your excursion tip money & some spending $$$, in your suite safe while ashore. The credit card is for emergency back up, a la, in case I find something I can't live without.

Realizing that your card has been compromised while on board a ship is not a fun experience - been there, done that.