Alaska help

natanya13

My husband, adult son and I will be cruising to Alaska this summer, 2018. We have not booked yet and are trying to decide between a balcony, Suite, or inside. Benefit to the suite is of course more room for three adult people, and the balcony. Benefit to the balcony is lower cost than the suite more money for excursions, and still have the balcony. Then I recently read some reviews where Cruisers have said Alaska is more about the Excursion and it is almost worth it to book a lower cost cabin and spend more on excursions. Need help from seasoned Cruisers. Looking at either Holland America or princess.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

We sailed HAL to Alaska for parents 50th wedding anniversary. As it was a gift to us from them we didn't have a choice on the rooms but here is our experience. Grandkids, two rooms inside. Adult children and Parents (Grandparents) oceanview (not balcony), three rooms in a row. We had the natural light (which considering the long days might not have been as good of sleeping as the grandkids in insides) and really never missed having a balcony. We were out and about most days in port and on cruising days we loved hanging out in the "crows nest" a bar on the top deck with panoramic views. We paid for our own excursions and did some really cool things- from whale watching to a crab fishing boat. We really were hardly in our rooms at all.

Really depends what's important TO YOU! If you are going to Alaska to SEE Alaska...then the excursions and stuff ashore is the important thing! The cabin is only for sleeping.

If you're simply cruising and don't care really about where you're going, then the cabin may be more important. Suites get "perks", which can be lovely, if you're willing to pay for that!

So....what's important to YOU?

It seems that most people recommend a balcony - because THEY can't cruise without one. But weather can be chilly and wet in Alaska, making the balcony uncomfortable. And the view will be all around the ship, not always on the side of your balcony. Excursions in Alaska can be quite expensive, even if done independently. I have done Alaska twice in an inside, because that is what I could afford. And I don't feel I missed anything not having a balcony. EM

Welcome to Cruise Critic:

With 3 adults take that balcony cabin...better safe than end up being sorry. That additional outside personal space will be well worth it.

Enjoy that cruise.

My husband, adult son and I will be cruising to Alaska this summer, 2018. We have not booked yet and are trying to decide between a balcony, Suite, or inside. Benefit to the suite is of course more room for three adult people, and the balcony. Benefit to the balcony is lower cost than the suite more money for excursions, and still have the balcony. Then I recently read some reviews where Cruisers have said Alaska is more about the Excursion and it is almost worth it to book a lower cost cabin and spend more on excursions. Need help from seasoned Cruisers. Looking at either Holland America or princess.

Thank you all for the input. To answer one question the destination is more important to us than the cruise itself. Another concern I have is room size when we are all in the room - changing, etc. Does anyone know which line has the largest inside cabins? Not counting the huge family style cabins.

Holland America large J & K cabins on main deck only; I cabins on decks 6 & 8. But the ones on main deck are best. this is for Vista class (Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam); Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam in Signature class, I cabins on deck 7 also. There are inside cabin experts on the HAL board here. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

At a minimum I would take a room with a balcony because as mentioned there are three of you.

If taking a suite would limit the amount of money you can spend on excursions then don't book it.

However, if it does not I would book it for added space.

You are right though. Alaska is about the ports of call and there is lots to do.

When you are ready to look at excursions once you finalize your cruise booking the Alaska Ports Of Call Board will be a great source of information for you.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been looking at HAL suites for 3 of us next July. It looks like the Oosterdam is affordable. The suites have 3 closets, 3 chairs on the balcony. Princess goes to Glacier Bay quite a bit, so we were looking at that too. We have been looking lately at the RCI Ovation of the Seas Jr. Suite. Do your comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with all, but first time my hubby and I went to Alaska we booked a balcony and were glad we did. We went in September and the weather was colder and drizzly and was thrilled when it got too cold outside we could come to our cabin and hang out on our balcony and come inside and out as we pleased. We just booked our second cruise to Alaska next May in a Suite on HAL Oosterdam and we are so excited.

But weather can be chilly and wet in Alaska, making the balcony uncomfortable.

actually-- because the weather can be chilly and wet-- a balacony is covered and you have a room to escape to when it is too cold-- unlike being out there on the public deck with a lot of other people/.

• 3 weeks later...

The HAL suites seem tailor made for 3 people with a sofa bed, 3 closets, and 3 deck chairs. We’ve been looking since we want to take our granddaughter on an Alaska cruise in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My hubby, adult granddaughter and I love our balcony cruising Alaska. Nothing like seeing whales, eagles and glaciers from your own viewing area. And just steps away if you need a quick warm up. Wonderful trip. Enjoy

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you all for the input. To answer one question the destination is more important to us than the cruise itself. Another concern I have is room size when we are all in the room - changing, etc. Does anyone know which line has the largest inside cabins? Not counting the huge family style cabins.

My spouse, two teens and I cruised in a single room. I was exiled to the balcony when they got dressed (teens are same sex as spouse), which was fine for me. We had the steward set up the cabin with our bed and bunk for the teens. It worked well. That family cruise was Venice to Istanbul and back on Costa.