Uber in Maui

Just1More

We are interested in using Uber to get back to the port in Kahului from Lahaina after a dinner cruise. Is Uber plentiful on Maui?

Instead of having to go to Lahaina and back (and pay accordingly no matter what transportation you choose), you might consider a dinner cruise out of Maalaea instead. Same idea - only a lot closer.

We already have a ride from the cruise ship from our children who are staying in Kaanapali. That is why we are doing the dinner cruise out of Lahaina. So we just need a ride back to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The one time we considered a rideshare option from the airport to our South Maui home the price varied.

Uber was double the price of a shared van ride with SpeediShuttle or with Lyft. Both of those were slightly cheaper than a taxi & you might research these options also.

A taxi finder website shows about a $75 (plus tip) cost from the Lahaina Harbor to the Kahului cruise ship terminal.

Astro Flyer, thank you for that information. I do have the Lyft app as well so I can check that out. Does SpeediShuttle run regularly between Lahaina and the cruise port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Astro Flyer, thank you for that information. I do have the Lyft app as well so I can check that out. Does SpeediShuttle run regularly between Lahaina and the cruise port?

It might be best to call them about availability.

On their website it had options for transportation between the Lahaina Harbor & the Kahului port. Although I didn’t go any further into the process to confirm availability. There are many West Maui (Ka’anapali to Kapalua) hotels & condos so they probably go there regularly. The Kahului airport & port are close to each other so they might take passengers for both destinations.

We’ve found Uber to be always available and a reasonable wait time between 8-9am til about 11ish. Outside of those hours the wait times can be higher.

In terms of pricing I’ve never been gouged in the times I’ve used it although I’ve heard a few times where friends have gotten hit with a surge. As others have said- worth a quick check on Lyft as well before you hit the request button.

Google Maps added a shared ride option to their directions...an icon waving with one hand & holding a bag in the other hand (between walking & biking icons).

Currently from the airport to our house (12 miles) uberX shows $21-$28 and SELECT $62-$80 with a one minute wait. I used my house knowing other prices for 2 people using SpeediShuttle ($33) & taxi ($38 for 4).

Currently (12:15 HST) from Lahaina Harbor to Kahului Harbor:

uberX - $38-$51; SELECT - $110-$150.

Lyft - $42-$51; Lyft Plus - $72-$86.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We are just curious if the driver, speculating that he is based around Lahaina, would want a one-way fare all the way to Kahului Harbor at night? We should think the chances of a return fare to Lahaina would be slim then.

They tend to operate mostly in the corridor of Kapalua to Lahaina.

But that’s not how Uber works which is why in this case its most likely better than a cab. The app doesn’t let the driver approve or disapprove the routing- they’re obligated to take you where you request ahead of time through the app for the price that the app estimates when you request it.