A private tour in Prince Rupert BC

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I intend to do that, Can you recommend a tour.

I can check we did walk to town but when we were there the weather was very rainy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can check we did walk to town but when we were there the weather was very rainy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I dont need a tour to walk the town. Will google what tours can be had in the area. Will also look up the weather. I think it is a temperate rain forest, so rain can be expected every day.

When are you there. It is a typical port with shops. I would take a private tour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mob

Prince Rupert isn'r a port geared towards cruise ships. It is mainly an industrial and fishing town. Personally I would stick to a ships tour.

Here are some links to Prince Rupert Tourism

http://www.prince-rupert-tourism.com/

http://www.princerupert.ca/community/tourist-information

http://www.innontheharbour.com/prince-rupert-tourism

Hope these give you the info you need .

Myself I go there for the halibut and salmon fishing.

hmm...industrial port....well that means for sure there is a need to do a tour of some kind...

ships tours are way over priced....private it the only way to go , providing you can find some people to join..right now our roll call has no one on it and it is for august...so not that much time...

As someone who has actually been to the Port of Prince Rupert earlier this year and has visited it previously on both cruise ship and by driving I will try and give you some advice.

As you exit the ship the Tourism Prince Rupert people will have a kiosk providing information on the area - they will give you recommendations etc on what to see - there will be tour companies and individuals in that same area selling their tours.

The immediate area around the cruise dock has a number of attractions - the museum, the Cow Bay historic area, sunken Garden and a seaside walkway.

The downtown shopping area is a few blocks further away.

One popular attraction that I did via a ship's tour - my choice - is the Buntze Rapids hike - the key there is to try and time it as the tide is changing - the tour operators should know the tide change times.

The Cannery at Port Edwards is worth a visit but I didn't see any tours being offered so perhaps they have been discontinued.

Prince Rupert which use to be a more regular stop for the cruise lines now only gets a handful of ships per year but the locals come out to volunteer and put a good effort into making it a pleasant visit.

Yes it does rain a lot in Prince Rupert - the May day I was there is was sunny and fairly warm - at least by their standards.

Hope this helps some answering your question.

Cheers!

Dennis

I was on the same cruise as Urban Trekker...

Before the cruise, I tried to find some sort of private tour out of Prince Rupert, but just didn't have much luck. The port was one of the last stops of a 14-day Alaska cruise so by the time we reached Prince Rupert we decided to just have a "no-plan" day. Luckily for us the weather was absolutely gorgeous...certainly not something you can count on in one of the wettest cities in North America! Having the beautiful weather made our time in Prince Rupert enjoyable, but not particularly exciting.

If you are interested in seeing how we spent the day, I have a blog post with lots of photos. You can click here for the link: Prince Rupert Blog Post

Besides Prince Rupert, our cruise stopped in the usual Alaskan ports and also Nanaimo, BC; Astoria, Oregon; and Sitka...ports that aren't visited as frequently. I have blog posts and lots of photos from each stop on the route. I know I get a lot of information from reading other blogs so perhaps this may be of help to you or others.

• 2 months later...
I was on the same cruise as Urban Trekker...

Before the cruise, I tried to find some sort of private tour out of Prince Rupert, but just didn't have much luck. The port was one of the last stops of a 14-day Alaska cruise so by the time we reached Prince Rupert we decided to just have a "no-plan" day. Luckily for us the weather was absolutely gorgeous...certainly not something you can count on in one of the wettest cities in North America! Having the beautiful weather made our time in Prince Rupert enjoyable, but not particularly exciting.

If you are interested in seeing how we spent the day, I have a blog post with lots of photos. You can click here for the link: Prince Rupert Blog Post

Besides Prince Rupert, our cruise stopped in the usual Alaskan ports and also Nanaimo, BC; Astoria, Oregon; and Sitka...ports that aren't visited as frequently. I have blog posts and lots of photos from each stop on the route. I know I get a lot of information from reading other blogs so perhaps this may be of help to you or others.

Thank you very much for the blog link. I enjoyed the commentary, loved the pictures, and even got a few ideas about things I will look for if I have time. I've researched Prince Rupert quite a bit, but there's always more to learn. We'll be there in later May, strange hours, and so I'm thinking it would be best to just stay in town. However, I'm hoping that it will be possible to take a cab ride down to the Cannery and see a little of it before it closes for the day.

To the other poster who provided information, thank you very much. It doesn't take huge attractions to make me happy in a port, and it sounds like Prince Rupert will be a nice stop. Sometimes the lesser known places turn out to be wonderful. If I research before I go, it helps a great deal, of course, and you've helped.

I really, really had my eye on a trip to see bears at a place called Khutzeymateen with Adventure Tours, but we won't be there when the tides are good for doing that, so that's not going to work. Oh well. Hopefully the cannery will work out, although the bus is too sporadic to work for us, and our hours in port aren't helping, either. I'll check later with them to make sure they haven't closed, or stopped tours (https://www.northpacificcannery.ca/).

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Prince Rupert about 8 years ago and took a ship's excursion that was wonderful! I don't know if anything similar is still offered, or available to book privately, but it ranks up in the top 3 excursions we've ever done. Maybe even #1.

We boarded a boat and went up (down?) the coast, maybe a half hour? Then the crew took out a big bucket of beef fat and started feeding the eagles, which started swarming the boat. They came barrelling down from the nearby mountain, wings tucked back and heads down to be very aerodynamic - it was amazing to see! They were catching the fat in the air, and the pieces that went in the water floated and were quickly picked up. There were juvenile eagles that weren't as coordinated as the adults, and they were funny to watch! I bet there were 50 eagles, or more, all in the same place at the same time. Absolutely spectacular!

Now I wish our cruise coming up in just a few weeks was stopping in Prince Rupert instead of Vancouver!

The nice thing about a place like Prince Rupert is it is a smaller city but it is a major business and transportation hub in the region and it has a lot of history. It still has all the things you would want as a tourist destination but the tourism aspects don't dominate the community. Feels real and authentic.

For example, it is a busy port, the most direct cargo container route between Asia (China) and the US mid-west (e.g., Chicago,) is through the Port of Prince Rupert.