Hotel near the Hong Kong International Airport

sansterre

We have a 9 a.m. flight out of HK Airport. Therefore, I think we should stay at or near the airport.

Has anyone stayed in a hotel that they liked?

Is there a hotel right at the airport?

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

OP, what airline are you flying out of HKG (home to US / Florida being assumed ??)

HK MTR's Airport Express Train start running at 5:50 AM at its HK Island Station, and minutes later, Kowloon Station ... on its way to HKIA - total travel time is less than 30 minutes. Free airline check-in & baggage services at available and done by almost all travelers at the AE Station, free porter services - BP (Boarding Passes) issued - and you will have 2.5 hour at the airport to go thru border control, customs, security screening & then out to the airline gates ... (where all USA bound flights have a secondary security inspection, starting about 1 hour before departure) You will have plenty of time to complete all that, and, AE trains are very reliable, fast & safe and has a very good on-time record (not 100% perfect, of course)

If you choose to do this, you can probably find some very good hotel rates in the city, probably more options on the Kowloon side vs. the Island ... and AE have free shuttles connecting most of the popular hotels in the area to/from the Station in the pre-dawn hours. Or, take a short taxi ride over (actually, there is a rebate/discount for the AE train fares upon presenting a printed taxi receipt, above a nominal amount - if your hotel is a little further away)

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/timetable_index.html

Airlines such as Cathay Pacific, HK's flagship carrier will accept baggage for check-in the day before (24 hours) your departure flight at the AE station - you get your BP & can travel lightly using the train, saving a few early minutes for extra sleeping that night.

Otherwise, you will have to drag your luggage out to the airport hotel, wake up in the morning & get back into the terminal to do the baggage & flight check-in, etc.

Take a look on TripAdvisors and price compare the airport hotel rates for a 1 night stay vs. those in town.

There is a hotel right at the airport. I can't remember the name but you can google it.

We stayed there a few years ago.

We actually could drop off our large bags for check in the night before and then the day of the flight took our time to get all checked in as we were right there.

Keith

Lookee here: http://www.hongkongairport.com/en/passenger-guide/hotels-business-services/index.page

The Regal Hotel is connected by a walkway to Terminal 1. Close enough for you?

I've never stayed in the Regal, only eaten there. But I have heard that it's an expensive dump. Or, at least, that it's expensive and poor value.

As mking8288 says, it's perfectly feasible to stay in town and get out to the airport for a 9 am flight. In addition to using the Airport Express, it is an option simply to get a taxi to take you to the airport. From Tsim Sha Tsui, it would only be something like $250; in contrast, two AE one-way fares would be something like $200 on their own. And this is a cost you're going to have to pay to get to the airport at some stage anyway, so it's not like this option is going to cost you more money for the journey.

If you stay at the airport, you will miss out on one more evening in Hong Kong. That, for me, is an excellent reason for not staying at the airport hotel. It might be different if your flight was going to be at 6 am, but it isn't.

AE for 2 has ongoing promo discount, even on one-way fares for 2 to 4 travelers, on a special fare card purchased, just ask at the ticket counter. Check the link provided above, I believe it's 25% off the fare of 2nd. person, up to 50% with 4 traveling together to/from the airport. From Kowloon Station, AE fare for 2 would work out to be around $160 HKD instead, that's about $21 USD converted (exchange rate I used is 7.725 HKD to 1 USD)

Last time 3 of us with one bag each & 3 cabin bags took a (red Toyota Crown) taxi directly from our hotel in Mong Kok area to HKIA, the fare & toll was a little over $300 + tips ... huh, maybe we got a slighter longer & scenic ride thru Kowloon West first, LOL. They would be riding mostly against traffic coming into the city, taxi run to the airport should be around 45 minutes from the TST area, in general, curbside to curbside ... not bad at all, around $45 USD all inclusive. It sounded like costs aren't necessary a big deciding factor for OP.

Just took a quick look with a random price for 1 night, 2 adults - at the Regal Airport @ Lantau, running about $170 USD + 10% on a special rate. Novotel CityGate at Tung Chung, a 5 to 10 minutes free hotel shuttle ride from the airport terminal is under $130 USD for the same dates - it's connected & part of the TC Outlet Mall (yike, not going shop there for Nike or Coach, etc. ;) ) and has better choice of evening dining as well as an indoor food court with variety of local "comfort" food options.

If we wanted to stay very close to the airport for an early AM overseas flight, Novotel would be one choice to consider. Depending on the # of luggage OP have, using the regular MTR train "could" be an option although I wouldn't recommend it, as the trains are PACKED during peak hours with locals & commuters - not really fun and an "adventure" - it will be a 5 to 10 minutes walk from the Tung Chung underground station, up & across to the Mall where the hotel is a part of.

Checkout Tripadvisor's booking engine for prices and cross-check Agoda as they often have even better rates, some of the deals are based on non-refundable specials & will sell out.

• 3 weeks later...

We've stayed at the Novotel Citygate twice....free shuttle to/from the airport, connected to a large shopping mall and a few minutes walk to the Big Buddha gondola. The rooms aren't large but suffice for a "transit" hotel.

We stayed at the HK Airport Regal Hotel for one night back in 2015. It definitely wasn't cheap, but we needed a place to sleep 4 of us as our scheduled flight out of HK was very early. Here is the video of our room, as well as how to walk from the Airport Terminal to the Hotel.

[YOUTUBE]V2PlOuVm3T0[/YOUTUBE]

We've stayed at the Novotel Citygate twice....free shuttle to/from the airport, connected to a large shopping mall and a few minutes walk to the Big Buddha gondola. The rooms aren't large but suffice for a "transit" hotel.

We stayed there, too. The hotel is fine. We took the subway into downtown, station is in the shopping center. We also took the shuttle bus to the airport. Let reception know when you would like to leave.

Unfortunately, the big Buddha gondola seems to be closed for maintenance most of the time. Maybe the third try is the charm.

Thanks all, for the wealth of information.

We have made our flights (direct to New York City) with Cathay Pacific (we used frequent flier miles).

Because we will have three or four large bags (it is a long cruise from Vancouver via Alaska) in addition to our carry-ons, and my cane, it is helpful to know that Cathay Pacific will take our bags 24 hours prior to flying. DH and I enjoyed 3 days in Hong Kong a few years ago. While it would be nice to spend the cruise arrival day in Hong Kong, I think it best that we stay at the Airport Regal Hotel this time, or perhaps the Mariott at the airport.

Now I have another decision: How do we get from the Cruise Port to the International Airport? Should we pay for a taxi? take the cruise shuttle bus and give Cathay Pacific our bags 20 hour prior to flight? I hesitate to take public transportation due to the number of bags we will have as well as my cane. It seems to make sense to take our large bags to the airport, then go to the airport hotel and explore the surrounding areas. Thoughts?

Suggestions appreciated.

We arrived at the Kowloon cruise port (small ship). Luckily we had pre pre-ordered a limousine with blacklane. If you arrive at that cruise port, it is in a mall and we didn't see any taxis in walking distance. The limousine drove in on the pier where they had unloaded our luggage. The cruise line had shuttle busses to the airport, but we stayed a few days longer. You need to tell blacklane how many bags to make sure they send a large car.

I have no experience with the other cruise port.

Because we will have three or four large bags (it is a long cruise from Vancouver via Alaska) in addition to our carry-ons, and my cane, it is helpful to know that Cathay Pacific will take our bags 24 hours prior to flying. DH and I enjoyed 3 days in Hong Kong a few years ago. While it would be nice to spend the cruise arrival day in Hong Kong, I think it best that we stay at the Airport Regal Hotel this time, or perhaps the Mariott at the airport.
If you go straight to the airport with your bags, then I'm not sure that you will be able to give them to the airline 24 hours before. Others who know more about CX's airport check-in may be able to confirm the position, but I had always understood the "day before" bag drop to apply to the in-town check-in desks at the Airport Express stations at Hong Kong and Kowloon stations, not to the airport check-in desks.

So if you plan to stay at the airport rather than in town, you may need to plan on the basis that you will have your bags with you that night, and that you will have to take them to the check-in counter at the airport on the morning of your flight.

That may affect your choice of hotel. The Marriott is not at the airport, but at SkyCity exhibition centre. As the crow flies, it's about half a mile away from the airport, so you need to transfer by road. It looks like there is a shuttle, but you'll need to think about whether you want to do that or whether staying at the true on-airport hotel (the Regal) is a better option for you.

Now I have another decision: How do we get from the Cruise Port to the International Airport? Should we pay for a taxi? take the cruise shuttle bus and give Cathay Pacific our bags 20 hour prior to flight? I hesitate to take public transportation due to the number of bags we will have as well as my cane. It seems to make sense to take our large bags to the airport, then go to the airport hotel and explore the surrounding areas.
One of the things that I'm wondering, if you do want to get rid of your big bags the day before, is whether the answer is to take a taxi to Kowloon AE station, check-in there (because you can definitely do this the day before) and then take the train to the airport. If you're not in a rush (which you won't be), then the train should not be a particularly difficult way of transferring to the airport; and if you have used the AE check-in, you will have had to pay for the train fare anyway as that's a condition of using the check-in facility (although it's not actually compulsory to then use the train if you really don't want to).

If you're staying at the Regal or the Marriott, then you'll have to seriously moderate your expectations of the local area. IIRC, there's nothing much adjacent to either of them other than the airport terminal buildings. If you were instead to stay at the Novotel Citygate, then you'd be near the shopping mall there and in theory within reach of the cable car. But to be frank, if you can manage a trip by public transport from one of the airport hotels to anywhere that there's anything to see, you might as well have stayed in town and transferred to the airport in the morning, just in time for your flight.