Iceland - questions answered

Just wondering if anyone has used cruisingexcursions for Iceland (Akureyri).

They have an itinerary i really like, but I am concerned about their very mixed reviews on Cruise Critic/Tripadvisor.

Hoping someone may have used them locally. Thanks

That's a really hard call since Cruising Excursions group is a third party company such as Viators. So many of the reviews could be based on the actual local tour provider and therefore the reviews are hard to decipher.

Maybe look at local tour companies instead. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I know there a few companies that offer a transfer to the Blue Lagoon direct from the cruise ship.

Do any go direct from the cruise terminal to Blue Lagoon ?

Am thinking they do a shuttle downtown, along with other shuttles where you transfer to the main coach

(which leaves on the hour)

Have email Reykjavik Excursions a few days ago, but other than an automated email still no reply to my queries - not a good omen when I am ready to book

• 2 weeks later...

If I was only in Iceland for 2-3 days or less, I wouldn't do whale watching or the Blue Lagoon (and I LOVE the Blue Lagoon). I'd do things you can only do in Iceland (you'll likely see whales on your cruise) and only natural things (BL is manmade). So much ridiculously gorgeous natural stuff to see and do in Iceland.

Weather you should expect high 40's to high 60's if it's sunny. And you'll get nearly 24 hours daylight

I will be visiting Iceland (Reykjavik) in June on a cruise pre-trip. My dates overlap with the "Summer Solstice" outdoor concert event. How busy does the city get during this event? I just want to be prepared. Unfortunately the artists performing aren't my style, otherwise I'd try to get tickets!

Depends what you’ll be doing. If it’s just hop out of the car, look at a waterfall, and hop back in, then not necessarily. If you’ll be outside for any length of time, or will be hiking, then waterproof boots or good walking shoes. It’s misty wet around the waterfalls and it’s likely to rain on you at some point. I wore Keen sandals with wool socks for our first whirlwind hop in and out sort of tour. My feet were wet but it wasn’t too bad and it was worth it not to pack big shoes I wouldn’t need the rest of the trip. My second, dedicated trip to Iceland I made sure to have waterproof boots.

In August we will get to Reykjavik at 12:30 pm one day and leave at 3:30 pm the next. I have been there before but my dtr. and granddaughters haven’t so the Blue Lagoon appeals to them and they would like to see the landscape, waterfalls, glaciers etc. but most tours don’t fit our hours. Are there taxi drivers when you get off the ship that can take us to see sights, the cruise ship tours are sooo expensive. Any ideas are welcome. The Blue Lagoon is high on their list and Viator tours may be able to take us but someone local would be preferable.

In August we will get to Reykjavik at 12:30 pm one day and leave at 3:30 pm the next. I have been there before but my dtr. and granddaughters haven’t so the Blue Lagoon appeals to them and they would like to see the landscape, waterfalls, glaciers etc. but most tours don’t fit our hours. Are there taxi drivers when you get off the ship that can take us to see sights, the cruise ship tours are sooo expensive. Any ideas are welcome. The Blue Lagoon is high on their list and Viator tours may be able to take us but someone local would be preferable.

Why not get a hire car - there are some very close tot eh ship. You could do some of the Golden Circle, have dinner then go to the Blue Lagoon. he Golden Circle would be less crowded as most buses head out at 9 am - so you would miss many. I was there in August and did an 10pm visit tot eh lagoon. You don't get to see the intense blue, but it was still light and the colour was amazing. And it was wonderful to just float around as it got dark.

There are lots of photos on my blog rainatravels dot com / Iceland / if your interested.

Raina

When we did an overnight port call in Reykjavik in 2016 the car rental company we used at cars at the cruise terminal. Picked up the keys and paperwork from a kiosk at the terminal and off we went. And there is a large parking lot so no problem to park overnight.

poss, I'm 47, but I must be 80 at heart, since that is what I value in a hotel as well. LOL Check out the Rey. Residence Hotel. It's pretty much exactly as you describe.

Stayed at Rey. Residence Hotel July 2017 for 2 nights. Wonderful refuge in center of city when it started raining every 30 min. Close to everything. Kitchen partly stocked w. Milk, juice, cereal.

In my opinion and also my family of all young adults think the Blue Lagoon is overated! We did stop to look at it and I may have spent $10 USD on it but no way $75 to sit in hot water with a bunch of people ! It's not even a natural Lagoon it comes from a geothermal plant next door.

I'd use that time to check out the wonderful sights elsewhere!

In my opinion and also my family of all young adults think the Blue Lagoon is overated! We did stop to look at it and I may have spent $10 USD on it but no way $75 to sit in hot water with a bunch of people ! It's not even a natural Lagoon it comes from a geothermal plant next door.

I enjoyed every minute there last year. I spent 10 days in Iceland and I’ve wanted to return to the Blue Lagoon since I left. It will be a must for us!

The way it looks from our vantage point: if someone usually is into water related endeavors, they would include blue lagoon or the other natural lagoons in Iceland. We chose to drive by and explore the nearby countryside.

Spent 2 night each on an icelandair stopover from Toronto to Hamburg.

First stopover stayed at the hotel next to Keflavik airport and rented a car. Arrival day drove south to Grindavik, strolled along the waterfront, drove to the place where American and European continents drift apart, back to Grindavik and dinner at Salthuis restaurant. Then back to hotel. All of it within an hour's drive of Keflavik.

Next day drove to Gulfoss, the geysers and Thingvellir.

Had dinner at nice restaurant in Keflavik, turned car in, walked to hotel.

5 am next morning, walked next door to terminal for our flight to Hamburg.

Return trip stopover stayed at Residence hotel in Reykjavik, no car, explored the city, attended Saturday's organ concert at hallgrimskakirkja, had famous Iceland hot dogs and nice dinner in town. Took flybus to airport.

Memorable trip, therefore cruise there this year.

• 2 weeks later...
The way it looks from our vantage point: if someone usually is into water related endeavors, they would include blue lagoon or the other natural lagoons in Iceland. We chose to drive by and explore the nearby countryside.

Spent 2 night each on an icelandair stopover from Toronto to Hamburg.

First stopover stayed at the hotel next to Keflavik airport and rented a car. Arrival day drove south to Grindavik, strolled along the waterfront, drove to the place where American and European continents drift apart, back to Grindavik and dinner at Salthuis restaurant. Then back to hotel. All of it within an hour's drive of Keflavik.

Next day drove to Gulfoss, the geysers and Thingvellir.

Had dinner at nice restaurant in Keflavik, turned car in, walked to hotel.

5 am next morning, walked next door to terminal for our flight to Hamburg.

Return trip stopover stayed at Residence hotel in Reykjavik, no car, explored the city, attended Saturday's organ concert at hallgrimskakirkja, had famous Iceland hot dogs and nice dinner in town. Took flybus to airport.

Memorable trip, therefore cruise there this year.

I will be visiting for my first, and possibly only, visit to Reykjavik in August. On my second day I am intending to snorkel between the continental plates before departing in the afternoon.

As I will do not drive I will have to take a tour. It would appear I can only go to Thingvellir or to the area near the airport where American and European continents drift apart. For a mature lady interested in the movement of the continental places which area is the most interesting.

Thingvellir is 100x more interesting than the place by the airport, and it's very near Silfra, where you will be doing the diving. It's the ancient home of Iceland's government -- the oldest Parliament in the world, and it's just beautiful there