1st new england cruise

rustypedals

ok, i confess, my last cruise was in 2004!

this site has greatly changed!

but, i am back and need some info on new england cruising!

i am thinking about going the week of October 15 / royal caribbean jewel of the seas

we like being on the sea, (2 days is great)

what about the land ports? espescially saint john and halifax?

is this too late for fall colors, and what about the temps?

Date Port of Call Arrival Departure

Saturday, October 15, 2011 Boston, Massachusetts -- 05:00 PM

Sunday, October 16, 2011 Portland, Maine 07:00 AM 06:00 PM

Monday, October 17, 2011 Cruising -- --

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 Halifax, Nova Scotia 07:00 AM 07:00 PM

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Cruising -- --

Thursday, October 20, 2011 Saint John,nb (bay Of Fundy) 07:00 AM 07:00 PM

Friday, October 21, 2011 Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 AM 05:00 PM

Saturday, October 22, 2011 Boston, Massachusetts 06:00 AM --

When the foliage changes and how intense the colors are will depend on what the New England weather is for the next 2 months.

This is how I would rate them for foliage:

Boston - good

Portland - good

Canadian ports of call - a little late

Bar Harbor - a little past peak

Boston - past peak

The only port of call in a rural forested setting is Bar Harbor, the rest are cities. For BH, with Acadia National Park on its doorstep, this will provide the best chance to see some good New England fall foliage, JMHO.

SBtS

It's hard to say if it's "worth it" because nature takes its course and dets when peak leaf viewing will be .. we live not far from Blue Ridge Pkwy and people always want to know what weekend will be "peak".. depends on elevation, how wet a fall we have, night time temps etc. so one week to another may/may not be that much different. We were on this itin one year and it was still in high 70s/low 80s daytime week of Sept 15 so their peak season that year wasn't first week of October...

We have had a very hot summer in Boston this year and that can impact fall foliage. A rainy summer often brings vibrant color but a hot summer might mean less color and earlier color change.

It's always hard to predict.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Rustypedals: The hubbie and I were on RCI Jewel last Oct 10, 2010. It was a C&A sailing. We got a bunch of C&A goodies, like a tote bage (awesome), water bottle, umbrella, etc. So cool.

We had an absolutely wonderful, wonderful time. That type ship has the glass-in place you can sit and enjoy the sea action. Also smoking is allowed only in certain areas, so no smoky hallways near our cabin.

It is soooo port intensive, however. Once off the ship, very, very steep hills. We found ourselves fatigued at each port as we climbed and then tried not to fall as we descended. We are mid/late 50s and in good shape, active people. We found ourselves soaking in the jacuzzi end of each day. Then in the pool to cool off. (wish I could go back).

As for fall leaves, we didn't see much. Lots of empty trees. Still had a great, great time.

On POC days, I ordered smoke salmon bagels via room service (nice tip for delivery person). That way more time to sleep in and/or get ready.

Another random thought concerning weather. There was one more sailing after ours, and I'm glad we were not on it as towards the end of the cruise it was rainy/cold/very rough seas (we didn't get sick).

Hope this helps in some way.

It is soooo port intensive' date=' however. Once off the ship, very, very steep hills. We found ourselves fatigued at each port as we climbed and then tried not to fall as we descended. [/quote']

What ports did you visit? There is steep hill to fortress in Halifax but a lot to do (harbor cruises, restaurants, shopping, maritime museum) along waterfront; Portland has hill going up to main part of town and cobbled older streets but trolley is available (as in Halifax) and a lot along waterfront area there as well. Boston there is shuttle into city from cruise terminal and Freedom Trail /Quincy Market area are fairly level. There are hills up to City Market in St John but we've done this itinerary twice (we are early 60s) and didn't really notice this. To those of you taking this cruise if walking is an issue you can get cab/shuttle in most cities or do a trolley tour (some like Boston have HOHO) which can eliminate the hills.

Yes, this is port intensive cruise, only thing I don't like about it and why we do as 9 or 10-day most of the time.

Archived