"South Beach Diet-Supercharged"

TravelRocker

Hi there, I need some advice from those of you currently on the South Beach Diet, any Phase. Just finished reading the new book, "Supercharged" and recently ran into a friend who's into Phase 2 and has lost almost 30 lbs. OK, so far it sounds good, BUT upon doing research on Forum Boards and Chat Rooms I finding a disturbing reoccuring topic of beginners getting really sick the first few, 3-4 days.

There's stories of headaches, dizzyness and really feeling weak and sick. They've actually coined the term "South Beach Flu" to describe it. Now I realize that part of this can be from a type of "detoxing" from all the sugars and carbs or just not eating enough. For those of you that have gone on this plan what did you experience? How did you handle it or cure it??? (and Yes, I did put the diet in the search engine here but next to nothing came up).

I'm afraid to start anything with the Holiday parties coming up, I don't want to pass out from one glass of wine, :). Thanks for any and all info, Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hi TravelRocker, you're probably not looking at this thread anymore but just in case...I did South Beach a few years ago. Not familiar with the "Supercharged" version but I also had headaches and dizziness on Phase One. It certainly didn't interfere with my life, just annoying. I'm sure it was due to carb and diet Coke withdrawal. It didn't last long. I had good luck losing weight (25 lbs. over a couple of months) but I've gained it all back in the intervening years.

I'm trying a modified version of South Beach now, started last Sunday which according to the Farmer's Almanac was a favorable day to start a new eating regimen. Sounded good to me! A bit of a headache the first day but not now. Though I am dying for carbs. Good luck!

I've experienced this. I was able to combat it successfully by adding a bit more "good" carbs to my menu. Adding some beans/chickpeas to my salads, eating some SB friendly chili. Drinking some skim milk can help too. I'm just finishing my first week of phase one and I'm past the tough part.

Good luck!

Archived