3 PEI videos - Charlottetown, Cavendish coast, LMM/A of GG

Cornishpastyman1

Decent port hours (9-6) for this one so we could have travelled far afield, but instead opted for a 3-hour drive in a taxi picked up at the port. We were a party of 6 and there was a group of drivers waiting in the area about 100 yards ahead of the cruise terminal exit doors. Our driver was called Alan and he was excellent, very personable and easy to talk to. We knew wanted to go to Cavendish, asked what we could see in 3 hours and left it up to him. If you want to book him it’s alanwcollier@gmail.com

We were not massive Anne of Green Gables fans so the chance to look around Cavendish Post Office, a faithful replica of the one where Lucy Maud Montgomery worked and wrote ‘Anne’ at was fine. It is well set out and very interesting. If you still send postcards wait until you go there and get the AoGG stamp on them !

There's plenty of shopping and public wifi in the cruise terminal, but I found a much stronger signal at Founders’ Hall, which is the Visitor Information Centre about 5 minutes walk from the terminal.

After the morning drive I walked around Charlottetown. There’s quite a bit to see and enjoy. Old Battery Point and Government House are about a mile from the ship and perhaps I should have walked on to the main part of Victoria Park, but it was warm and I was aware that every step I took away from the port was one I would have to do coming back :-)

We are nearing journey’s end. Videos from the previous ports on this Boston-Quebec City cruise can be found from the Atlantic Canada/New England link below, with a couple more to come (Quebec City and Montmorency Falls). All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]9sW01QVxX0M[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]lHiNXwpsAiw[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]XISMUulN-wg[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

We are doing a similar cruise in October so it has been great to see all the videos you have been posting.

You will be gratified to hear that Devon and Cornwall have been battered by wind and rain for weeks during your absence, but today the sun is shining although the strong winds continue.

Libby

Thanks for much for posting your PEI videos! We'll be doing a similar cruise in a few weeks. While we've been to all the ports by car, we look forward to concentrating on the port cities like Charlottetown. I've mapped out a walking tour for us with help from online resources--your video was a wonderful preview and shows it to be a worthwhile walk.

We love the music you add to your videos, but can't quite identify the pieces. Would you enlighten us?

Finally, we enjoyed visiting your hometown St. Ives while on a westbound TA several years ago! I love seeing tidal changes and your town certainly has a good one. And the flowers everywhere were lovely!

Barb

Thanks for much for posting your PEI videos! We'll be doing a similar cruise in a few weeks. While we've been to all the ports by car, we look forward to concentrating on the port cities like Charlottetown. I've mapped out a walking tour for us with help from online resources--your video was a wonderful preview and shows it to be a worthwhile walk.

We love the music you add to your videos, but can't quite identify the pieces. Would you enlighten us?

Finally, we enjoyed visiting your hometown St. Ives while on a westbound TA several years ago! I love seeing tidal changes and your town certainly has a good one. And the flowers everywhere were lovely!

Barb

Thanks Barb (and Kristal, Jolie and Mr B.)

With a car you will be able to do a much better job than I did - at Sydney you could hardly do worse ! That video is a salutary lesson that if you want to see anything interesting you must travel :)

The music for Charlottetown was Imperial March (Edward Elgar), for the Cavendish drive it was also Elgar (Enigma variations, No 10 Nimrod) and at Sydney it was a track called Colours of Cape Breton by Phil Cunningham.

At Halifax it was Pavane by Ravel for the Swissair memorial and Hymn to the Sea by James Horner at Fairview Lawn Cemetery. As I stood in that cemetery, knowing that would be the music I would use I thought of him, killed in another transport disaster a few weeks before. And in Boston it had to be the Cheers theme.

Glad you enjoyed St Ives. It's miles off-topic but here's all the St ives you'll ever need (or indeed want)

I hope you have the same great weather as I did. All the best, Tony