queries re Pacific Dawn

Travelling on P&O Pacific Dawn next year and can't seem to find answers on some questions - any help appreciated

Can you drink the water in the rooms. I note the sale of bottled watr so thought the room water might be undrinkable.

Can you book into restaurants prior to leaving?

How do you get seated for meals? We would rather eat at restaurants than buffets, but can you always get a seat?

thanks

I did receive this response from P&O about the water which I thought was a bit confusing but might mean something to others.

Please be advised that we do not encourage our guests to drink water from the tap as we have available water dispenser in the hallways per deck. We also have available water from our restaurants. The water from our restaurants are not bottled ones so we encourage our guests to bring a water canteen/tumbler if they do not want to buy bottled water on board.

I think that means that the water in the bathroom is not drinkable. Is it ok for cleaning teeth? Am wondering why it isn't drinkable. Does the water in restaurants and the dispensers then come from a different supply?

Hi

I can't confirm if the water in the rooms and in the restaurants come from different sources. However, all tap water is desalinated and can vary in taste from day-to-day. We certainly brush our teeth using water in the bathroom. For taste, bottled water is definitely better. Most times, there's a deal in your room where you buy a certain number of bottles and get more for free. P&O cruises are so low in cost, we happily make that purchase and just view it as part of the cost of our cruise.

In regard to restaurants, no, you can't book ahead of time. Sometime after you board (I can't remember the time but you can ask), you can go to the main restaurant (or ring from your room) and book a table. If you want to dine in the main restaurant the next night, simply re-book as you leave and you'll get the same table. If you skip a night (by going to dinner elsewhere), just be sure to re-book the main restaurant as far ahead as possible (early in the day, for example). Having said that, you can quite often just walk up to the restaurant (especially after the initial rush with first seating) and get a seat.

Do be aware that, by default, you will generally be seated at a table with other diners. If you don't like that idea, you just specify that you want a table by yourselves. Those smaller tables are limited in number so you want to waste no time in making that initial booking. Two seater tables are generally not near windows, so if you like a window view, you might be disappointed (though there's no guarantee of a window seat even at large tables).

But here's a thought if you haven't tried buffets before - although P&O are/have swapped all ships to The Pantry which is a more hygienic variant of the buffet. We used to dine at the main restaurant all the time. 1 1/2 - 2 hours each night. On a 14-night cruise: 20-28 hours of sitting at a table. We occasionally go to the main restaurant - especially for breakfast where no booking is required and it's quite fast. We also will treat ourselves once or twice to a specialty restaurant. But the rest of the time, we now choose The Pantry/Buffet.

We note the opening times, especially for breakfast and lunch, and we're there at kick-off. The area is quieter, we get first serves, it's quicker to get served (though we'll eat leisurely), and we can usually get terrific window seats looking out over the wake. In addition, start time for the evening meal doesn't clash with entertainment such as the main theatre or bands like the main dining room often does. Sure, you don't get someone to lay a napkin on your lap . . . but I think we can survive without that! :-)

Many mistakenly think that this choice means you have to miss out on nice dining. It's different, for sure. But, with the right approach, such as getting there at opening time, you can carefully choose a theme for your meal (Asian, Fish & Chips, Indian, etc) just as you may choose in the main restaurant. You can buy a nice wine to go with our meal as well. Not only that, The Pantry/Buffet often reflects choices that are available in the main restaurant on the same night. I remember one night, we went to the main restaurant and chose something like mussels (which I love). I got two. Later, we went into The Pantry for a snack and discovered a mountain of mussels for the taking and enjoyed a plate full!

Hope this all helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I can't confirm if the water in the rooms and in the restaurants come from different sources. However, all tap water is desalinated and can vary in taste from day-to-day. We certainly brush our teeth using water in the bathroom. For taste, bottled water is definitely better. Most times, there's a deal in your room where you buy a certain number of bottles and get more for free. P&O cruises are so low in cost, we happily make that purchase and just view it as part of the cost of our cruise.

I must say that some people have very refined plates when it comes to water.

I was on Dawn and couldn't determine any variation in the taste or quality of the water anywhere on the ship.

The water in your room is eminently potable, and is probably better than what comes out of your tap at home. There is nothing at all wrong with it.

Hi, We have done 9 trips on Pac Dawn. Her latest refurb is light and tropical, very nice. The tap water in cabin is perfect and tastes just fine. There is also an ice machine up on the pantry deck in the coffee area that has 'little pieces' of soft ice to make an iced tea or coffee. The new Pantry idea is fabulous. We grab fish and chip or crackers /cheese plate and sit on the aft deck for sail out with a cocktail at every port, then head back in later for dinner. The concept is not buffet but more mini restaurant style and you can take your dinner anywhere and have sea views, after all that the point of cruising. The waterfront restaurant is modern but does not have table cloths if that bothers you. The easiest way to book is as soon as you get on board head aft and they have a booking table set up outside the restaurant. There are 2 sittings, we prefer the later 7.45pm as you can linger longer or still make it to the late show, there are also less children. If you are going to dine at Dragon Lady or Angelos you need to book very quickly as they get booked out.

• 1 month later...