Kona Tender and Snorkel

Iwannaseemickey

I am deciding between snorkeling with Fair-Winds and having a driver waiting for us to drive us the 20 min to get to their meeting point by 9am OR going with Body Glove that meets in the port town right off of the tender. However, if I book Body Glove myself, it is $400 (using a gift card from Costco) or booking thru the ship and it's $520 (4 people). Body Glove meets at 7:30/leaves at 8, so we would have to be off quickly if on our own.

Comparison:

Fair Winds to Capt Cook monument: 4 people-$578 with $27 each way taxi start time 9am

Body Glove to Red Hill: 4 people-$400 but off on our own and on early tender start time 8am

Body Glove to Red Hill thru ship: 4 people-$520 start time 8am

Any opinions? I know what makes $$ sense!!

Will Body Glove allow you to block direct if you are coming from the ship? --- several years ago, they declined to book cruise ship passengers directly. This is personal experience

We did the Fair Winds many years ago, it was a nice trip -- but we did it from a hotel.

I don't like the stress of catching a tender to meet a certain time. Unless you have priority tendering due to a loyalty level of your cruise line -- I would do the ship excursion. (some lines give priority tendering to full suite passengers also)

Aloha!

I remember having that dilemma when we were trying to decide which excursion to take back in Nov. I wanted Fairwinds as it takes you to captain cook monument and I heard it was a nicer snorkling site. But did not like having to take taxi there and have to worry how quickly we can get to port with tender. We chose to not stress and go with the cruise excursion with body glove. Having priority to excit the cruise was peace of mind. Loved Body Glove, saw spinner dolphins on way to snorkling site. Was so beautiful and crystal clear, saw sooo many fish and many types . Once done with the excursion had time to enjoy the small beach before taking tender back.

You might call Body Glove to see if they will honor your Costco rate while you are on a HAL cruise.

And, have you considered Captain Zodiac snorkel trips in Kona. I love the zodiacs but many enjoy a larger boat.

If you decide on Body Glove through the ship the additional $120 is probably worth it when you consider not having to deal with a taxi and the peace of mind of making the boat. Have a great time, Cherie p.s. Plus, I imagine that if you are on the HAL excursion and tendering cannot be done because of conditions you would be refunded the cost of the trip.

You might call Body Glove to see if they will honor your Costco rate while you are on a HAL cruise.

And, have you considered Captain Zodiac snorkel trips in Kona. I love the zodiacs but many enjoy a larger boat.

If you decide on Body Glove through the ship the additional $120 is probably worth it when you consider not having to deal with a taxi and the peace of mind of making the boat. Have a great time, Cherie p.s. Plus, I imagine that if you are on the HAL excursion and tendering cannot be done because of conditions you would be refunded the cost of the trip.

My group refuses to do the zodiac....two will get extremely sea sick. We will be on the Pride of America by Norwegian, and Body Glove said I could use the Costco card, but I would be better off to pay more thru the ship (of course) to guarantee we get off in time! Thanks for your reply!!

I remember having that dilemma when we were trying to decide which excursion to take back in Nov. I wanted Fairwinds as it takes you to captain cook monument and I heard it was a nicer snorkling site. But did not like having to take taxi there and have to worry how quickly we can get to port with tender. We chose to not stress and go with the cruise excursion with body glove. Having priority to excit the cruise was peace of mind. Loved Body Glove, saw spinner dolphins on way to snorkling site. Was so beautiful and crystal clear, saw sooo many fish and many types . Once done with the excursion had time to enjoy the small beach before taking tender back.

I think I totally agree! We will be rushing around getting cars etc and it might just be nice to not have to do all of that. I do have a driver that I have contacted to pick us up, but still might just not be worth it...and I think I have decided that we won't REALLY know what we are missing and will likely love where they will take us!

Will Body Glove allow you to block direct if you are coming from the ship? --- several years ago, they declined to book cruise ship passengers directly. This is personal experience

We did the Fair Winds many years ago, it was a nice trip -- but we did it from a hotel.

I don't like the stress of catching a tender to meet a certain time. Unless you have priority tendering due to a loyalty level of your cruise line -- I would do the ship excursion. (some lines give priority tendering to full suite passengers also)

Aloha!

Body Glove told me we could book thru them, but we would be better off booking thru the ship to guarantee we get there. And, I agree, in this case I don't think I really want the stress of getting an early tender. If the time was a bit longer maybe!! THank you!

• 4 weeks later...

On our Feb 3rd cruise, people who had excursions with NCL got to go in the first tenders. We did not have an NCL excursion and were not able to get into a tender until after 9:30, although we were ready to go at 8.

• 2 weeks later...
On our Feb 3rd cruise, people who had excursions with NCL got to go in the first tenders. We did not have an NCL excursion and were not able to get into a tender until after 9:30, although we were ready to go at 8.

This is what I am aftraid of, I went ahead and booked the ships Body Glove snorkeling excursion for this day! Thanks!