Time to allocate in Oahu

CruisinChills

We will be traveling on POA in June and spending 5+ days in Oahu first. I've got all the cruise ports figured out but now would like to get a little more "scheduled" on some of our Oahu days! So, a few questions:

- We are staying on the North Shore for the first 4 nights. One of those nights we are attending the luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center. I know the center opens around noon, but the question is: how much time do we really need at the PCC before the luau? Is it really an all-day thing?

- While on the north shore, would like to drive down the east side of the island at some point, any recommended must-sees or stops?

- Spending the last 2 nights at Waikiki before the ship departs. Will be doing Pearl Harbor on the Friday, and would like to get some feedback about how much time we will spend there. I am expecting at least 3-4 hours, but have seen as much as 7. I guess the real question is, is this something where you really should see ALL the monuments? (Bowfin, Missouri, etc.) Or is visiting the Arizona and the visitors center the real meat of the trip? Both my husband and I are very interested in history and will probably want to read every sign/placard. :') However our teenage daughter and niece will likely be doing this -- :rolleyes: -- after the first couple of hours (if we're lucky). So trying to get the right balance!

- While I'm at it, and recommendations for best place to golf on Oahu (I'd love my husband to get a round in), and also somewhere to go horseback riding, preferably on a beach?

And one more question I forgot to add: People who have stayed at the Marriott Waikiki Beach through NCL (free night before the cruise), what time (-ish) does NCL transfer to you to the port to board on Saturday? (I could ask this on the POA forum if this isn't the right place for it.)

North Shore Oahu is one of my favorite places. Can you tell us where you will be staying? Turtle Bay, renting a condo or home? Will you be taking your own golf clubs? Do you like being on the beach, snorkeling, surfing, SUP? I will be happy to give you my choices but I need a bit more info. And, I never take guests to PCC because I'm not a fan but many people love it.

Cherie

Thanks for replying! Yes, we'll be staying at Turtle Bay, and no, we won't be bringing his golf clubs for just one day of golf. (Gives him a good chance to test drive some new ones.) We definitely want a little beach time over that week because during the cruise there is not a lot of downtime! We are planning to go to Ko Olina on the way from Turtle Bay down to Waikiki later in the week and spend some time on the beach that day as well. Swimming, maybe a little snorkeling, I doubt anyone will surf, but perhaps SUP.

O.K. Here's some of my recommendations for North Shore. Since you are staying at Turtle Bay, enjoying sunset, watching the surfers, and enjoying a beverage at The Point is wonderful. People who live on NS do this. The lagoon at TB is good for SUP, swimming, and sometimes snorkeling.

There is a public golf course in Kahuku, Kahuku Golf Course, 808-293-5842. It is on the ocean and rents clubs. I have friends that love this course, and it is a fraction of the cost of Turtle Bay courses. TB also has some beautiful courses though.

The shrimp trucks in Kahuku are great for lunch or dinner. You can get the shrimp as take out and go back to TB and enjoy at a number of beautiful locations or your room/condo. You can google Kahuku shrimp trucks and get names. Giovanni's tends to get the most tourist reviews but my preference is Fumi's or Romy's. We have more than once enjoyed a shrimp truck dinner while sitting on a bench at TB enjoying the view.

If driving towards Kualoa there is Kualoa Beach Park where the view is fabulous. You can enjoy an ocean swim, pic nic, and incredible scenery. On the way from Kahuku to Kualoa there is an old general store and a food truck (red) that has great food and we often get it for a pic nic.

Ted's Bakery between Sunset Beach and Pipeline is fabulous. They offer really good breakfast items, lunch plates, and incredible pies. The Chocolate Haupia is to die for. So, if you are getting something to take back for lunch or dinner this is a good spot. They have tables but we have always taken out.

Just before entering Haleiwa from Turtle Bay direction there is surf shop, SurfnSea on your right. Next door is a bay where they offer SUP lessons, or just rent boards.

Between Waimea Beach and Haleiwa there is a beach, Lanaikea, where turtles often come on shore. They have somewhat restricted parking there but it is worth a stop. Usually there are volunteers on the beach keeping the tourists from inappropriately bothering the turtles. The beach is also a nice spot for a pic nic and watching the surfers.

In Haleiwa, a 20 drive from you there are a couple good food options. Kono's has fabulous breakfast items. Kua Aina has great burgers and sandwiches. We learned that you can call and place a take out order which is great because the line can be LONG.

Most people go to Motsumoto's for shave ice but my favorite is Aoki's.

I am assuming that you will be leaving TB on a Saturday and on your way out you may want to stop at the North Shore Country Market which is held on Saturdays beginning at 8a.m. at the Sunset Beach Elementary School. It has some local art, jewelry, produce, etc. I like to purchase flowers there. You could get some to take on your cruise. This is across from Pipeline.

There is a great bike path that runs from Sunset Beach to Waimea but you may need to get bikes at TB.

Tide pooling and snorkeling at Shark's Cove is great if the water is not rough. In June it can be like a lake.

There is a Foodland in Kahuku and across from Shark's Cove. The Kahuku location does not sell alcohol because of it's large number of Morman residents, including the PCC. The Foodland across from Shark's Cove offers everything.

When you drive over to Ko'Olina take the road that goes through Schofield military base. It is open to the public, will save time, and has some nice views.

North Shore Oahu is lined with beautiful beaches, incredible surf breaks, good food, and a very different experience on Oahu than Waikiki. I love both. I hope this helps, please ask if you have other questions. Cherie

p.s. Re your Pearl Harbor day...If you will be there on a day when the Aloha Flea Market is operating you might consider letting your daughter and niece go over there while you linger at the historical Pearl Harbor exhibits. The flea market close to PH.

WOW, thank you for all the tips and info, especially about all the great local food spots! (And I didn't even remember to ASK about food, which is clearly one of the most important elements of a vacation! ;)) I am going to have to update my itinerary tonight to include some of these stops. Thanks again!

To add to the already good advice:

I didn't really enjoy the PCC because most of the presentations were in their native languages and there were no interpretations. I'm sure they told a good story but I couldn't understand it.

The Dole plantation was a little touristy but overall good. I would recommend it.

Waimea Valley looked interesting but we didn't go in due to time. I now wish we had done that instead of PCC because Waimea Valley is more natural, i.e., not man made.

You can look online for wave forecasts for the north shore. Try to pick a day when the waves are big, if possible.

Regarding Pearl Harbor, we saw the Arizona and did a quick tour of the museums, and also the Missouri. Don't miss the Missouri if you like history. They give you a free tour of the upper deck and you can do a self guided tour of the below deck area. We toured PH with Robert's Hawaii and it was a good tour.

I would say your time at PH is about right. Must see USS Arizona of course and USS Missouri if you love history. If running short of time skip USS Bowfin. Good thing is, except for USS Arizona, you can leave anytime you want. Have the teenagers watch the movie Pearl Harbor before you go it might put things a little more in perspective.

At each village in PCC there is a show / presentation of sorts. They are scheduled / staggered but you can't see all in one day. If you want to see that float parade which is beautiful you have to pick & chose which shows / presentations to see. It does take all day.

Pearl Harbor depends on how fast you read / move through museums. 3-4 hours sounds right. Do get your Arizona tickets in advance from the parks department. When my husband was more enthralled then I was, I just sat down & enjoyed the sun on my face.

I can't help with the golf. Perhaps make a separate thread for that or check TripAdvisor.