4.2 Earthquake in Bar Harbor

Aunu

Just felt an earthquake here in Maine. Im about 40 miles from Bar Harbor (by road, closer as the crow flies) and just felt an earthquake. The house shook a bit, little weird.

Anyone else in Maine feel it? Jan?

No - Didn't feel it in Bangor - It is really odd to think of an earthquake in Maine - the other day I heard on the news that we even had a tornado - strange weather - today it feels like snow - finally broke down and turned the heat on today! Jan

I guess it depends on what you idea of cold is? Today the high was about 50 and raining - I've seen it rain or snow on Halloween and years when the kids wore there winter coats .... and then other years when it was warm.

It is very hard to tell exactly what the weather will be, but it is save to say that it will not be over the low 60's at the hottest part of the day and probably will be in the middle 40's first thing in the morning. October is a rainy month (usually) and by the end of the month all the leaves should be gone.

Three years ago on October 14th it snowed and it never did seem to stop for the year - last year I'm not sure we even got much snow.

If you do get a chance to visit our area, make sure that you layer your clothing and you will be fine. Enjoy!! Jan

All lobster in Bar Harbor is local (the lobstermen wouldn't allow otherwise!). Large lobster doesn't necessarily mean better lobster - I actually prefer 1 1/2# ones.

Many shops in Bar Harbor have started to close now so I'm not sure where to send you .... but my very favorite place is called Getty's (pronounced Jetty's) they are open year round, all the locals go there, its a resturant/bar and is loud, packed and great fun - Lobster is available there. I always get bbq chicken pizza with cilantro and gouda cheese from their brick oven - its wonderful. Their seafood and lobster is also good. (also great nachos)

Enjoy!!

Well Jan, you out lasted me on not turning the heat on! I had it on about a week ago, it was about 58 in the house when i got up and it was rainy so i turned it up to about 65. Usually its nice enough during the day that the sun would heat the house up by the afternoon but not that day. I always see how long i can hold out.

• 3 weeks later...

Just browsing the boards and spotted this thread. I'm in Orrington, Maine, just outside Bangor. This was a spectacular fall, but the wind and rain we had Friday night has knocked most of the leaves off the trees.

Winter, I'm sure, isn't far behind. Last year we had practically no snow...if it's got to be winter, it might as well snow!

My friend in Orland felt the Bar Harbor earthquake, but we didn't feel anything in Orrington.

Bar Harbor is a great town. My daughter was married there last summer and had her reception at the Bar Harbor Inn. After the afternoon reception, we all (about 50 of us) went for a sunset cruise on the Margaret Todd. Great way to end a wedding day! It was HOT...June 25, 2005, and it was around 90 at the coast. Very unusual!

Come back one and all and see us again. Come in August and see the American Folk Festival!

Jane:D

Just browsing the boards and spotted this thread. I'm in Orrington, Maine, just outside Bangor. This was a spectacular fall, but the wind and rain we had Friday night has knocked most of the leaves off the trees.

Winter, I'm sure, isn't far behind. Last year we had practically no snow...if it's got to be winter, it might as well snow!

My friend in Orland felt the Bar Harbor earthquake, but we didn't feel anything in Orrington.

Bar Harbor is a great town. My daughter was married there last summer and had her reception at the Bar Harbor Inn. After the afternoon reception, we all (about 50 of us) went for a sunset cruise on the Margaret Todd. Great way to end a wedding day! It was HOT...June 25, 2005, and it was around 90 at the coast. Very unusual!

Come back one and all and see us again. Come in August and see the American Folk Festival!

Jane:D

Hi Lady Jane! greetings from the next town over! (Bucksport) We lost power here for about 3 hours saturday morning because of the wind. Seems like we lose it ALL the time! Im just glad i live kinda close to town, we get it back pretty quickly. During the ice storm of '98 i lived in Castine, we were out for about a week if i remember correctly. But intown Bucksport was only out for a few days, My dad who lives "out back" lost it for 10 days. I went to my sisters in laws to shower. It felt soooo good after 3 days!!

The weather this fall has been pretty good for the most part (not today:( ) still been able to wear capris. Gets nice during the day.

The "Ice Storm of '98" was an amazing week - we had neighbors sleeping in our living room - only because we had a fireplace and a wood boiler that kept the house in the 50's. When we got our power back we gave all the rest of the wood away.

It was a wonderful time of everyone helping each other, but I hope we never have to go through it again.

It's starting to feel like winter ... leaves about gone, but Sunday I did manage to plant tulip bulbs ...couldn't believe the wind Friday night and Saturday. We leave this Friday morning for our cruise - I'm so excited this have been 17 months of planning (now I just hope I don't catch a cold!).

Nice to see others from Maine posting - Jan

The "Ice Storm of '98" was an amazing week - we had neighbors sleeping in our living room - only because we had a fireplace and a wood boiler that kept the house in the 50's. When we got our power back we gave all the rest of the wood away.

It was a wonderful time of everyone helping each other, but I hope we never have to go through it again.

It's starting to feel like winter ... leaves about gone, but Sunday I did manage to plant tulip bulbs ...couldn't believe the wind Friday night and Saturday. We leave this Friday morning for our cruise - I'm so excited this have been 17 months of planning (now I just hope I don't catch a cold!).

Nice to see others from Maine posting - Jan

Jan~ we had a woodstove and i was so afraid to let it go out, i kept it in the high 80's in the house. had to open the windows sometimes! :D My husband was in college then at Maine Maritime Academy and they ended up having a winter cruise that year and he was gone during the storm. I dont think he could understand how bad it was. I have some great pictures around here somewhere from the storm. It was so beautiful during the day with the ice on the trees. Glad i had family and friends around. A friend of my husbands was on the cruise to and he had a wife and new baby here, they ended up staying with me for a few days because i at least had heat.

I dont remember what i did for food, we didnt have a gas stove. I do know with the new house that we're building i want a gas stove for that reason. I had the woodstove so hot i could have cooked a turkey on it!!!:eek:

Hope you have a great cruise!!

We just returned from our cruise on the QM2 last night. We had a wonderful time in all our ports. We did miss Bar Harbor due to rough seas. We have been fortunate to have visited twice before and enjoyed Bsr Harbor very much. We detoured to Boston and spent a day and half there. The people of Bar Harbor went to the expense to print a special newspaper for the QM2. We were sorry that economy suffered because of the weather.The Fall Colors was magnificent.

Dave:)

Just returned from our cruise on the Crystal Symphony Friday evening. I'd like to thank many of you for your helpful hints, tips and advice in the months leading up to our trip---it really helped us make the most of the itinerary.

LOVED Bar Harbor!!! Weather was PERFECT!!! Explored Acadia in the AM, then kayaked in the afternoon. The wind picked up as we were heading toward an island---got a little nervous since we weren't as close to shore as usual. Saw the ship and just wanted to head for it, rather then struggle in the choppy water. I have gorgeous photos from the kayak---haven't figured out how to post them, yet. I'm new to digital photography (miss my film).

I'm so sorry people on cruises following ours have experienced bad weather. What a shame they missed the crystal clear blue skies and clean, crisp air.

Thanks for sharing such a glorious part of the world with us 'leaf peepers'!

Randy

Archived