The quest for photographic perfection...

pierces

...can make you miss the shot of a lifetime.

Interesting video from a photographer with a very reasonable view on the subject of pursuing the "perfect" photograph.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/10/30/perfection-in-photography-do-we-overvalue-technical-perfection

If you've been on these boards for a while, you have seen my statement that the best camera is the one you will use and the shot you take will always be better than the one you didn't. That doesn't mean that "spray and pray" or "shoot RAW and fix it on Photoshop" are the ultimate answers. I will always try to get the best shot available as conditions permit but if I have to choose between that one perfect tripod-supported shot (that probably would be missed setting up a tripod) and getting a variety of shots that capture the moment with some minor technical flaws, the tripod stays in the bag. Actually, at some point in the last decade or so (the advent of good stabilization?), the tripod started staying home more often than not. There's a time and a place for capturing a technically perfect shot but if that's the only kind of photo you find acceptable, you'll miss a lot of life as it passes you by.

Happy Shooting!

Dave

Eh... I'll take the position that the quest usually lies in the middle...

In terms of tourist locations, there is never anything I so desperately need to capture where a bad photo is still better than nothing.

A bad photo of the Eiffel Tower or no photo of it? Well, since there are millions of good Eiffel Tower photos that I can find online, there really is no benefit for me to shoot a bad one. I may as well walk away with nothing.

So if the choice is 1,000 "eh" photos... 100 excellent photos... or 1 perfect photo, to cover a 7 day vacation. I'd likely take the compromise-middle option. But even then, I'd hope to get 1 or 2 perfect photos to go along with all the excellent photos.

So... maybe I won't drag my tripod everywhere on a week long vacation. But I might drag it out for 1-2 nights when it would be especially helpful.

And yes, maybe I'll pack prime lenses, even knowing they are less flexible..... I'll often use as "walk around"... a 45mm/1.8 lens. Yes, it means I sometimes miss wider shots. It means I can't really get some of the telephoto shots. But those are compromises I'll make, so that the shots I get, are better images.

I think if you go back 30 years...there was more reason to make sure you "got the shot" ---

Again using the Eiffel Tower as an example -- Even your crappy image might be the only image you would have access to in your home afterwards. The only way to see a picture of the Eiffel Tower would be to buy a book about Paris or buy postcards. That's no longer true.

For those must-have images where we can throw quality to the wind --- The "selfie" of "me in front of the Eiffel Tower" -- Well, that's what phone cameras are for. And they do a damn good job of it.

So there is a balance between getting the perfect photo.... and capturing everything. Especially where we can carry a phone for the "capture everything"... and resort to the "real" camera when we want to get closer to perfection.

I (laughingly) recall the "good old days) in the 70s and 80s when I was using a Nikon F2AS with MD13 motor....The damned thing was so heavy, and ran through film faster than I could keep it loaded, that unless I could set up a shot (which was seldom) I usually lost the shot I was going for....damned thing weighed like 7 pounds.....

Thank the lord for today's DSLRs!!!

• 1 month later...
Eh... I'll take the position that the quest usually lies in the middle...

In terms of tourist locations, there is never anything I so desperately need to capture where a bad photo is still better than nothing.

A bad photo of the Eiffel Tower or no photo of it? Well, since there are millions of good Eiffel Tower photos that I can find online, there really is no benefit for me to shoot a bad one. I may as well walk away with nothing.

Might as well stay home...

If my daughter and I are at the Eiffel Tower, or wherever, then getting a shot of her is high on my list. There are very few good photos of her at the Eiffel Tower online, though I guess I could do something with Photoshop.

Edited by Skyring

Might as well stay home...

If my daughter and I are at the Eiffel Tower, or wherever, then getting a shot of her is high on my list. There are very few good photos of her at the Eiffel Tower online, though I guess I could do something with Photoshop.

But as I said, I can get that shot with my phone.

So given the choices -- Choice 1 -- just take a half decent shot with my phone. Choice 2 -- take a half decent shot by applying mediocre technique to mediocre camera gear... or choice 3 -- take a spectacular near-perfect once in a lifetime shot that is suitable for a large frame...

I'll go with choice #1 or choice #3... I don't see much value in choice #2.

But what's wrong with just photoshopping them into the Eiffel tower??

32844132042_f688977d01_b.jpglilly in paris by Adam Brown, on Flickr

32839863182_a0af0cae04_b.jpgel in paris by Adam Brown, on Flickr

But as I said, I can get that shot with my phone.

So given the choices -- Choice 1 -- just take a half decent shot with my phone. Choice 2 -- take a half decent shot by applying mediocre technique to mediocre camera gear... or choice 3 -- take a spectacular near-perfect once in a lifetime shot that is suitable for a large frame...

I'll go with choice #1 or choice #3... I don't see much value in choice #2.

But what's wrong with just photoshopping them into the Eiffel tower??

If that works, it works.

I'll often shoot with my iphone if that's all I've got, and I want to capture some interesting moment. Really sorry I didn't have anything better with me for this one. Zoom on the iphone just makes the pixels bigger.

I was in Greece recently, and I had to laugh at the tourists humping whopping great high-end DSLRs around, all with big expensive lenses. Some with a couple of bodies on different slings. Travelling - especially cruising - with a tonne of gear is a hassle, and how often do you have time to set up and grab that great shot?

I had my little P&S with me, and I think I did OK. Something I can swing in my hand is fine for walking around with a tour group.

I fall in that group who is ok with the less than perfect shot. I strive to take a great shot and sometimes I succeed as in the one below. But for me taking the pictures are also my keepsake of the occasion. Sort of like when I would pick up a local trinket our postcard from places I would stop at (actually I still do a lot of that).

7299821232_9cba31a6c3_c.jpg

When I go on a European cruise I take something like 300 pictures a day. About half of them fall into what I think are really good. They are my best souvenirs. Sometimes I get that really great shot but even if not, I am happy.

Barcelona! Like this shot, not perfect but I like it as a great souvenir.

enhance

If that works, it works.

<snip>

I was in Greece recently, and I had to laugh at the tourists humping whopping great high-end DSLRs around, all with big expensive lenses. Some with a couple of bodies on different slings. Travelling - especially cruising - with a tonne of gear is a hassle, and how often do you have time to set up and grab that great shot?

</snip>

p1897430075-3.jpg

If that works, it works.

p1897430075-3.jpg

LOL! Yeah. Not quite that bad.

Seriously, how does one travel with a lot of gear? If you carry it on, you're limited in weight, and as a safety measure putting more than a few kilos in the overhead bin is dangerous. In turbulence, in rough landings, even just getting it up and down, if it falls out and a hard corner of the case - or a hard wheel - hits someone's skull, that's a very good chance of death.

And, unless you have a professional hard case, checking camera gear is a mug's game. It will get damaged or stolen.

Then there's the battery problem.

If you take surface transport to and from the ship, then OK. But realistically, cruising usually involves a flight or two.

If that works, it works.

I'll often shoot with my iphone if that's all I've got, and I want to capture some interesting moment. Really sorry I didn't have anything better with me for this one. Zoom on the iphone just makes the pixels bigger.

I had my little P&S with me, and I think I did OK. Something I can swing in my hand is fine for walking around with a tour group.

Thing is, I wouldn't call your camera a "little P&S" -- It's a $5000, full frame camera... and it's bigger and heavier than some ILC cameras.

So you're doing the ultra high-end too... even more high end than many of those big dSLRs... you've simply invested even more money to get it in a tinier package.

LOL! Yeah. Not quite that bad.

Seriously, how does one travel with a lot of gear? If you carry it on, you're limited in weight, and as a safety measure putting more than a few kilos in the overhead bin is dangerous. In turbulence, in rough landings, even just getting it up and down, if it falls out and a hard corner of the case - or a hard wheel - hits someone's skull, that's a very good chance of death.

And, unless you have a professional hard case, checking camera gear is a mug's game. It will get damaged or stolen.

Then there's the battery problem.

If you take surface transport to and from the ship, then OK. But realistically, cruising usually involves a flight or two.

People travel with heavy items of all types. Like asking how someone can take their golf clubs on a resort vacation where they plan on playing golf.

No idea what you mean by battery problem -- You're bringing batteries whether you have a small camera or big camera. You're probably bringing batteries for something even if you don't bring a camera. (Phones have batteries too).

Even if you're carrying 10 pounds of camera gear, which would be A LOT, that still isn't any more than any other typical overhead bag.

The issue with traveling with heavy camera gear, isn't really the travel part. It's more that most vacations involve a lot of walking, a lot of time on your feet, and some places that may not be the most camera-friendly (like a sandy beach).

So if you're going to be walking around for a 10 hour excursion, how much extra weight do you really want to be carrying. If you're going for a beach, how protective are you willing to be over your gear. Are you willing to babysit your camera bag instead of jumping in to the ocean, etc.

The "travel" aspect of camera gear really isn't a big issue. It's more about the activities you're doing while you travel.

No idea what you mean by battery problem -- You're bringing batteries whether you have a small camera or big camera. You're probably bringing batteries for something even if you don't bring a camera. (Phones have batteries too).

I think the reference was to the recent ban on Lithium Ion batteries in checked luggage.

Dave

People travel with heavy items of all types. Like asking how someone can take their golf clubs on a resort vacation where they plan on playing golf.

Golf clubs can be checked baggage. Who's going to steal a golf club? And if they get chucked around by the handling machinery, likely they won't break.

Cameras are a different matter. Checked bags get screened for security, and any big and expensive camera - or lens - is going to be revealed. Baggage handlers typically don't get paid a huge salary, so there is always the temptation to supplement their income. Some airports are notorious for it.

And there is the possibility of damage. Checked bags get slung around by the handling machinery, dropped onto hard surfaces, manhandled by the lowly-paid baggage folk and so on.

The battery problem is a real factor. Storing lithium batteries in the cargo hold is a safety risk. These things can and do catch fire and explode. There's an incident every ten days in the States of America alone. At least if they are in carry-on bags in the cabin, the fire will be quickly identified and contained, but in the hold it ain't so easy. Cargo planes have been lost this way. UPS 6, for example.

Carry-on luggage presents its own problems. Individual cameras may not weigh a lot in themselves - a typical full frame body comes in at just under a kilo - but anyone with that sort of gear usually has a suite of lenses to go with it, and they add up.

Batteries and flashes and chargers bump up the weight as well, plus a bit for packaging. Every photographer I've ever met has a dedicated camera bag full of slings and filters and tripods and stuff.

Then there's the laptop to post the images, and a hard drive for backup.

Carry-on bags in themselves weigh around two kilos. You want the maximum legal size, that's going to be closer to three kilos, and you're going to want as big a bag as possible to hold all your fragile and expensive camera gear.

Airline weight restrictions vary. A few have no weight restriction for carry on, but typically it is seven or ten kilos.

If you are flying on one of the airlines with a seven kilo limit - Qantas, Emirates, and many others - you've got four kilos left over to stuff all your kit into. If you shoot full frame DSLR it's not going to be enough for a couple of bodies, lenses, laptop and hard drive.

And that's without any of the other stuff you might want to carry aboard, such as medications, a change of clothing, toiletries, cables. Buy a couple of bottles duty free, that's added weight.

Most people, I think, just hope that the airlines won't weigh their bags, but increasingly there are airlines aiming to cut costs and make money. There are tales out of Dubai of passengers having their bags weighed at the gate, and of excess weight items being discarded.

As well as the safety issue. Sure, your airline might allow twenty kilos carry on, but you really want the chance of something heavy falling on your head? Or crushing the skull of that infant in the next row?

I think there's a lot of bone-headed photographers around. I really do.

Golf clubs can be checked baggage. Who's going to steal a golf club? And if they get chucked around by the handling machinery, likely they won't break.

Cameras are a different matter. Checked bags get screened for security, and any big and expensive camera - or lens - is going to be revealed. Baggage handlers typically don't get paid a huge salary, so there is always the temptation to supplement their income. Some airports are notorious for it.

And there is the possibility of damage. Checked bags get slung around by the handling machinery, dropped onto hard surfaces, manhandled by the lowly-paid baggage folk and so on.

The battery problem is a real factor. Storing lithium batteries in the cargo hold is a safety risk. These things can and do catch fire and explode. There's an incident every ten days in the States of America alone. At least if they are in carry-on bags in the cabin, the fire will be quickly identified and contained, but in the hold it ain't so easy. Cargo planes have been lost this way. UPS 6, for example.

Carry-on luggage presents its own problems. Individual cameras may not weigh a lot in themselves - a typical full frame body comes in at just under a kilo - but anyone with that sort of gear usually has a suite of lenses to go with it, and they add up.

Batteries and flashes and chargers bump up the weight as well, plus a bit for packaging. Every photographer I've ever met has a dedicated camera bag full of slings and filters and tripods and stuff.

Then there's the laptop to post the images, and a hard drive for backup.

Carry-on bags in themselves weigh around two kilos. You want the maximum legal size, that's going to be closer to three kilos, and you're going to want as big a bag as possible to hold all your fragile and expensive camera gear.

Airline weight restrictions vary. A few have no weight restriction for carry on, but typically it is seven or ten kilos.

If you are flying on one of the airlines with a seven kilo limit - Qantas, Emirates, and many others - you've got four kilos left over to stuff all your kit into. If you shoot full frame DSLR it's not going to be enough for a couple of bodies, lenses, laptop and hard drive.

And that's without any of the other stuff you might want to carry aboard, such as medications, a change of clothing, toiletries, cables. Buy a couple of bottles duty free, that's added weight.

Most people, I think, just hope that the airlines won't weigh their bags, but increasingly there are airlines aiming to cut costs and make money. There are tales out of Dubai of passengers having their bags weighed at the gate, and of excess weight items being discarded.

As well as the safety issue. Sure, your airline might allow twenty kilos carry on, but you really want the chance of something heavy falling on your head? Or crushing the skull of that infant in the next row?

I think there's a lot of bone-headed photographers around. I really do.

lol.. I'm sorry, but that's all absurd. I fly with my camera bag all the time. No, I don't bring every piece of camera gear I own, I don't bring hard drives and laptops (the memory cards can hold till I get home). Sometimes I bring a tripod, sometimes I don't. When I do, sometimes it's in a checked bag.

But I pack a carry-on camera bag with 1-2 camera bodies, 3-5 lenses, batteries, memory cards, etc.. on every trip. Never had an issue of any sort.

By your logic, people also should never bring laptops on business trips.

lol.. I'm sorry, but that's all absurd. I fly with my camera bag all the time. No, I don't bring every piece of camera gear I own, I don't bring hard drives and laptops (the memory cards can hold till I get home). Sometimes I bring a tripod, sometimes I don't. When I do, sometimes it's in a checked bag.

But I pack a carry-on camera bag with 1-2 camera bodies, 3-5 lenses, batteries, memory cards, etc.. on every trip. Never had an issue of any sort.

By your logic, people also should never bring laptops on business trips.

Hardly.

I'm not saying you can't stuff a lot of gear into a carry on. I'm saying that in a lot of cases that is beyond the airline weight limit, and in some cases is a safety hazard.

So you go on a cruise with no backup capacity and no software for post?

Hardly.

I'm not saying you can't stuff a lot of gear into a carry on. I'm saying that in a lot of cases that is beyond the airline weight limit, and in some cases is a safety hazard.

So you go on a cruise with no backup capacity and no software for post?

I do all post processing when I get home. Don’t have any time when I’m traveling. I fill 1 128gb memory card that stays in the camera till I get home. Sometimes I’ll back up to a second card.

I do all post processing when I get home. Don’t have any time when I’m traveling. I fill 1 128gb memory card that stays in the camera till I get home. Sometimes I’ll back up to a second card.

No spare time on a cruise. Well, alright then.

How do you go with carry-on weight limits? A bag, two bodies, lenses and stuff must be pushing you over seven kilos, and that's without putting your spare undies in.

Not getting your bag weighed by the airlines is like driving drunk and evading the cops, or having fun with no rubber and no consequences. Sure, it works most of the time, but it won't always.