How fast will the weight go back on during the cruise?

Lose Before You Cruise
A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:42 PM.
Minnesota
1,567 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Always take the stairs! That helps . Didn't use the elevator at all on last cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Feb 2, 2019 - RCI Symphony of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
June 15, 2018 - RCI Radiance of the Seas - Alaska
Feb 18, 2017 - RCI Harmony of the Seas - E Caribbean; Feb 13, 2016 - RCI Adventure of the Seas - S Caribbean; Oct 18, 2015 - RCI Independence of the Seas - W Caribbean; April 6, 2014 - RCI Allure of the Seas - W Caribbean;
2013 - NCL Norwegian Dawn - W Caribbean; 2008 - RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean; 2004 - NCL Norwegian Dream - W Caribbean; 2001 - RCI Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas; June 21, 1998 - CCL Inspiration - S Caribbean
cruising.cockroach {at} gmail hotmail and yahoo
1,615 Posts
Joined May 2012
I have a horror story on my last long cruise. Wasn't really overweight (though my doctor thought so) but I did eat a normal breakfast in the MDR, 3 and 4 course lunches and dinners, and also worked out in the gym daily (weights and long, hard exercise bike ride - it was mostly sea days), and put on weight! Not that my clothes got tight but my body type (I'm male) isn't the type to noticeably bulk up). IIRC I put on 7-10 lbs (about 5%) within a couple of weeks according to the ship gym weigh scale.

All gone soon enough (maybe it was the independent tour of Easter Island and Macchu Piccu that followed) - never noticed the gain and my jeans I bought before the trip (3 years ago) are loose.

See my fitness and weight control blog in the thread for men to get in shape for cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Using cruise lines as a cheap means of comfortable if not speedy intercontinental travel....

Upcoming Sep 2017 Celebrity Millennium Vancouver-Yokohama

May 2017 MS Chi-Cheemaun Tobermory - South Baymouth
Mar 2016 Star Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Mar 2016 CMA CGM Libra HongKong - Long Beach
Jan 2016 RV Yandabo Bagan-Mandalay

Nov 2015 Tirrenia Bithia Janas Arbatax - Civitavecchia
Oct 2015 Saremar Ichnusa Bonifacio-Santa Teresa de Gallura
Oct 2015 Corsica Ferries Corsica Victoria Savona - Bastia
Oct 2014 HAL Zaandam Vancouver-Valparaiso
Mar 2014 Corsica Ferries Mega Express 3 Toulon-Ajaccio & Bastia-Nice
Oct. 2012 HAL Prinsendam Civitavecchia-Fort Lauderdale
April 2012 Island Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Kasr Ibrim Abu Simbel-Aswan Feb. 2007

Way, way back....
P&O Cathay between Singapore and Hong Kong and back, March 1968 + August 1969
Koeln-Dusseldorfer Line Rotterdam - Bern
Thomson Ithaca Tanger to Brindisi April 1974
Chandris Bruge-Norway-Tilbury August 1974
Chandris Southampton - Canary Islands + Madeira - Southampton August 1976
Philly and So. Jersey Shore
776 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
I would continue to do some exercise. Walking and stairs may help to keep some weight at bay. You can eat but make wise choices and don't load up on too many carbs. If you like dessert just take two mouthfuls. Sugary drinks will pack it on. I can still diet, lose weight and drink vodka, club soda, with oj or cranberry juice. I know it's not exotic but it doesn't make me gain weight.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MS Caribe (Commodore Cruise Lines) - June 1987
Crown Dynasty (Crown Cruise Line) - June 2000
Carnival Destiny - March 2001
Carnival Victory - March 2002
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - July 2006
Celebrity Century - March 2007
RCCL Mariner of the Seas - March 2008
Carnival Freedom - March 2009
Carnival Dream - February 2010
Carnival Pride - March 2011
Carnival Pride - Aug. 2012
Carniva Pride - Aug. 2013
Carnival Pride - Jan. 2014
Carnival Pride - July 2014
Grandeur of the Seas - November 2014
Carnival Pride - August 2015
Carnival Splendor - June 26, 2016
Carnival Splendor - July 2, 2016
Norwegian Breakaway - July 16, 2017

59 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by renjrusa
Try and find a time even if every other day to get some exercise on board at the fitness center... Don't completely lose the good habits you have started...
Good advice. While I never went to the fitness center, I rarely took an elevator and specifically chose an aft cabin at top of the ship far from the them and stairs. Even though I didn't deprive myself (actually splurged on a daily cheesecake, 2x wine, and at least two latte's with Kahlua, and a couple with a soft serve ice cream dumped in!), I lost six lbs. I did drink a lot of water, had a plate of kiwi every afternoon for a snack, ate only the small portions served, and rarely ate after dinner (late night "treat" was always unsweetened African tea and maybe a raisin oatmeal cookie) which required another walk down/up seven flights of stairs. The only downside (short term) was the aching ankles/calves from stairs, which subsided as I got used to using new muscles - well worth it!! It's been two weeks and I have managed to lose a couple more lbs., by sticking to the no food" after dinner, and one-two kiwi for an afternoon snack. I figure the reduced walking/stairs offsets no more cheesecake or Kahua in my coffee .
New York
129 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
We will be on QE for a 15 day canary & 10 day crossing over the holidays. I'm very concerned. . I have health problems that limit my mobility with a cane. Stairs are out . We have worked hard for this trip, I want to enjoy it but don't want to gain - concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kerry & Mark
NYC

52 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Exercise is key. Don't concentrate on losing weight before a cruise, but increase your overall exercise, so that when on a cruise you can spend some significant time in the gym or jogging on the decks. Muscle mass helps burn those extra calories you will indulge in on any cruise ship with good food.
Urbandale, Iowa
1,493 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by _kerry_
We will be on QE for a 15 day canary & 10 day crossing over the holidays. I'm very concerned. . I have health problems that limit my mobility with a cane. Stairs are out . We have worked hard for this trip, I want to enjoy it but don't want to gain - concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Get in the pool and walk laps.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anthomaniac

Coastal NC
160 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
I don't like to actively hit the gym on vacation, but we do take the stairs a lot and tend to be more mobile on cruise ships. The mega ships are so large, you definitely get more walking in.

One thing I focused on was the buffet. There is just something about a buffet that makes you want to sample a bunch of stuff, and a little bit of this and that and this and that can lead to too much food & that "oh geez I ate way too much" feeling. If I decide something doesn't taste that great, I don't get it again on another day. Is it worth it to eat something that doesn't taste great even though it looks fantastic? Nope. And guess what? There will be a buffet again tomorrow, and the next day too. Plenty of opportunity to try things, and it doesn't have to be all at this one meal right this minute.

Also, it's not like I've been starving, or will not be able to eat again after the cruise, so I try to keep in mind that I don't need a ton of food normally so I shouldn't need a ton of food on a cruise just because it's there. Try new things and enjoy what tastes good, and leave the rest.

Try to stay hydrated -- drink more water than usual because you just don't know how much salt is cooked into the food. If you are exerting yourself during activities or it's a hot climate, drink more water than you usually do. Water is your friend.

Enjoy your trip!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
02/03/18 Pride of America
12/23/16 Oasis of the Seas
10/25/15 Jewel of the Seas
03/06/15 Majesty of the Seas
03/02/14 Allure of the Seas
01/10/14 Majesty of the Seas
02/03/13 Allure of the Seas
05/13/12 Freedom of the Seas
01/16/06 Majesty of the Seas