Trip Insurance Quandry

bboop51

I posted this in the Celebrity forum and it was suggested I re-post here..

"I am really befuddled as to what to do about our trip insurance. We booked through Celebrity and they tacked on their insurance and I know I can take it off before final payment (which is coming quickly.) I actually intended to get "better" insurance. Here is my dilemma... I am hoping for some advice. I really need an "any reason to cancel" policy, which the Celebrity policy is fine for. Otherwise I checked and I found some policies on insuremytrip from Nationwide. Now here is my problem. We have no out of network medical coverage. Therefore we rely on the trip insure if G_d forbid anything happens. I have a couple pre-exisiting conditions, but nothings that had "erupted" in years. Everything is just maintaining. I know if I stick with the Celebrity policy I am fine, no matter what happens (since it was purchased when we booked.) But, there is not much coverage. I am nervous to switch three months out and find I stuck with a big bill and have nothing covered, because of something that I have.

Any advice ? I know better for next time... Thanks"

It’s very possible that you are too late to get another policy.

Most, many require that you purchase within X number of days of deposit to cover pre exsisting conditions and CFAR. All require you to purchase before final payment date. It sounds like you are past final payment date.

If you are not past final payment date, then check out

http://www.insuremytrip.com or http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

I'd suggest you call Trip Insurance Store and talk to them. Explain your situation and they can recommend a policy for your needs. You don't pay any extra for their expert advice. There are policies that cover pre-existing conditions even when purchased beyond your initial payment date.

Thank you all for your advice. I contacted The Trip Insurance Store and unfortunately they could not help me. However, a call to Insure My Trip was very successful. They carefully and patiently explained every I did not understand and I am now the proud owner of an "any reason to cancel" trip insurance policy. Next up... paying for the cruise...

Just be aware that a “cancel for any reason” policy will not give you a 100% refund. Most, and this depends on the policy, refund around 50%.

Nationwide's Choice Cruise and Luxury Cruise both refund 70%, though Cancel for Any Reason is an optional upgrade and carries a premium surcharge.

Nationwide's Choice Cruise and Luxury Cruise both refund 70%, though Cancel for Any Reason is an optional upgrade and carries a premium surcharge.

Yes, that’s why I wrote “depends on the policy.”

These Nationwide policies refund a “maximum of 70% of nonrefundable charges” and you must cancel at least two days before departure.

This coverage also isn’t available in every state. I can’t get it in WA.