Hawaii in December

comiso13

I am considering treating myself to a cruise to Hawaii. The current best fare, which is important on my budget, is for the December 15 day cruise from LA and back. I cruised on Carnival as a family a long time ago and recently I've taken a couple of cruises on Princess Cruises. I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who has sailed Carnival and/or Princess to Hawaii and to find out what you think about December as a cruise time. I have read many comments, posts and reviews about Carnival, is it really a fun line for everyone? I enjoyed Princess but it is more expensive and I consider it a more sedate atmosphere. I am looking for some fun and relaxation. Feel free to comment but please be polite in your opinions.

Looks like your only option is a Dec 1... 14 day Journey cruise from LA to Hawaii on the Splendor.

I agree with your comment on Princess being more sedate and likely older passengers. Being a frequent Carnival cruiser...we ventured over to the Royal Princess a few years ago and noticed a much more laid back experience. However I should point out that this being a 14 day cruise may result in similar age demographics. That being said...whether your old or young Carnival provides a very upbeat and active atmosphere and I think you would enjoy the options (fun or just relaxation) offered to you on Carnival

I am assuming you will be onboard for Christmas and New Years for the Dec. 15th sailing? If so, do it no matter which line. We did this in 2009 on the Golden Princess, my favorite cruise so far. There were Hawaiian activities, Christmas activities, it was really a super neat cruise. But my favorite line is Carnival, I like the decor of the ships and doesn’t seem as stuffy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival’s and Princess’s longer cruises are very similar in tone. Similar passenger make up also.

Only issue would be the weather. Mom has sailed this itin in December three times, two have been very rocky.

Typically the first two and last two days are a bit bumpy crossing the current.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can I offer the suggestion of considering one of the one way repositioning cruises instead of the round trip? We are booked on one of them in April. They are 1. Cheaper than round trip, 2. Give you more time in Hawaii compared to the round trip (6 hawaii days out of 11 days vs 4 Hawaii days out of 14 days), and 3. Leaves an option to add a land extension in Hawaii if you want to add on days there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I enjoyed my 2 cruises on Princess, but not sure they could keep me entertained for 2 weeks. Carnival has very good reviews too and I save money which is important to me taking the cruise since I am going solo. But the cruise is what I make of it and I am already super excited and I haven't even booked it yet.

I've done that cruise on both Carnival and Princess many times. I prefer the activities on Carnival. Much more fun.

The demographics were the same, but found the passengers on Carnival more fun and friendly.

Hawaii in Dec is nice, but the first couple of nights sailing will be chilly.

I don't mind a little chill as long as the rest of the cruise is warmer, as if we have control over that. I am looking for fun and friendly. Thanks for all of the reponses, looks like I am going to Hawaii in December! YEA

I'll be on that cruise too. I think you will really enjoy it.

I can't comment on the Hawaii part, but I can on the Carnival vs. Princess side. Carnival is the Fun ship - it is more active and "fun" ie hairy chest contests, lido dancing etc - as compared to the more classic and relaxed atmosphere of Princess, the come back new ships. So if you are looking for fun, Carnival is your ship. The food is just as good as Princess, and if you eat Indian, it is available in the MDR (vegetarian and you can order non vegetarian for the next night) and is fantastic!